Prospect Info: Luke Hughes - part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Let’s be fair about one thing, Luke was great last night but the level of intensity and focus will be ten times what it was in a meaningless game. Him playing well in a glorified preseason game doesn’t mean you give him Game 1 over Siegs or Bahl
he’s played a much larger role in intense games before, i think a lot of that is overblown. our transition game is going to be critical in this series, it makes little sense to sit him after what i’ve seen so far.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If she questioned his hockey ability, that's one thing, it's a bad take but it's not a classless and disgusting one, but she went far and beyond that with a character assassination of a teenager. She's so unlikeable.
I have only heard her speak a few times and read her tweets / quotes , but she seems to be a Karen. Rip roaring imtitled biatch

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I mean it was more his overall game tonight and how it’s the exact same game he played in Michigan and at the WJC. If he plays like that you just can’t keep him out of the lineup. He’s one of the 6 best defenseman on this team and brings a ridiculous transition game. Yes it’s now 2 NHL games but I want it to be 26 straight that he plays like that and why not start now?
But is he really one of the best 6 ? Yes , he is 100% more talented and a bery gifted player that will be a ton better than a Smith ,but… for right now at this point in time ( About 25 minutes of NHL ice time ) he might be a net negative compared to playing Bahl.
Also , nothing to do with ability , but can we sit Bahl for Luke when we might need Bahl for his PK ability?
For now , I think it’s too risky to throw him into the fire. If someone gets hurt , then for sure use him ! But to start off ? I’m not so sure. Maybe he is a better fit than someone else but it’s not a clear cut easy decision to make.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I don't want Luke in position to fail especially when there is no reason for it.
Same here . Ya I think Luke is going to be a stud and yes I’d love to see him play sooner than later , but putting in a 19 year old kid hat has played 2 games into the playoffs against a hated rival and good team is pretty lofty expectations .

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I don't want Luke in position to fail especially when there is no reason for it.

Not that im advocating for playing Luke, I am fine either way, but failure is far more beneficial to younger folks than we give credit to. The Hughes boys rarely experienced failure before reaching the NHL - we see that Jack learned from it so I’m not afraid of Luke learning from it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I don't see why this would be a reason not to play him. I think I brought it before but look at Jack. He failed his first season, some would say it was a disgrace, but he's turned out fine I'd say.

The stakes are higher of course but the talent is clearly there to be an impact player already. And I'm fine with Bahl playing instead of Luke. At least to start, but if things aren't going well I'd hope they turn to Luke to try and turn the tides.

Reactions: Guttersniped

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not that im advocating for playing Luke, I am fine either way, but failure is far more beneficial to younger folks than we give credit to. The Hughes boys rarely experienced failure before reaching the NHL - we see that Jack learned from it so I’m not afraid of Luke learning from it.

That's what the regular season is for, not now...

Are we going to allow 22 other guys to suffer because it's beneficial for Luke to gain experience?

These guys put in their time of toiling in basement and now is there time to reap at least some reward for it.

Like I said earlier, I won't complain if he plays but I just don't believe it is good situation for him or the team to be in. It's a sink or swim situation except this playoff series will be a tsunami that he'll have to swim in.

Last edited:

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021

Are going to allow 22 other guys to suffer because it's beneficial for Luke to gain experience?

These guys put in their time of toiling in basement and now is there time to reap at least some reward for it.

Like I said earlier, I won't complain if he plays but I just don't believe it is good situation for him or the team to be in. It's a sink or swim situation except this playoff series will be a tsunami that he'll have to swim in.
I’m reasonably sure that every “hockey person” believes that failure in the postseason is normal for all progression. Isn’t that the point of buying playoff experience on the open market? Very few of the most important players on the Devils have even been to the postseason - Luke is just another one.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love the Devils to coast to a Stanley Cup this year but losing together with the actual core you will have moving forward won’t kill the franchise’s prospects.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't see why this would be a reason not to play him. I think I brought it before but look at Jack. He failed his first season, some would say it was a disgrace, but he's turned out fine I'd say.

The stakes are higher of course but the talent is clearly there to be an impact player already. And I'm fine with Bahl playing instead of Luke. At least to start, but if things aren't going well I'd hope they turn to Luke to try and turn the tides.
Jack failed for more than one season but that's not the topic...failing in the regular season on bad team where your ambitions are related closer to lottery balls than home ice advantage in the playoffs are not remotely similar circumstances.

We are in the portion of the year where one mistake can easily end your season. That's not fair to Luke or the other guys, Jack included, who have spent years working on their games to be at this point.

But I'm not totally against him playing either it just seems like an unnecessary risk to me at this point.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I’m reasonably sure that every “hockey person” believes that failure in the postseason is normal for all progression. Isn’t that the point of buying playoff experience on the open market? Very few of the most important players on the Devils have even been to the postseason - Luke is just another one.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love the Devils to coast to a Stanley Cup this year but losing together with the actual core you will have moving forward won’t kill the franchise’s prospects.
"Very few of the most important players..."

You say that so nonchalantly. Like most of them haven't spent the last 3 or 4 years toiling and trying to figure this league out?

Luke has played 2 professional games. We're not talking about no playoff experience with Luke, we are talking about no experience at all with Luke. And with that, it is not question of "if" mistakes will be made it is a question of when and how bad.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
For a comparison.

Makar was 20 during the 2018-19 Playoffs, almost a whole year older.

Their defensive pairs were Zadorov-Barrie, Girard-E. Johnson, Cole-Nemeth.

Makar didn’t play in the Game 1 (0-4 L) or Game 2 (3-2 OT W) vs Calgary.

Girard got injured so Makar replaced him for Game 3. He mostly played with Nemeth, the Avs won the series in 5 games.

Girard came back for San Jose in the 2nd Rd and Nemeth was scratched. Makar played with Girard.

After the Avs went down 3-2 in the series, Bednar threw Nemeth back in there and went to 7-11. Makar still played with Girard though.

So Makar first got in due to injury and Colorado had a worse defensive core. I still think Luke will most likely play at some point, don’t underestimate how much elite skill levels the playing field.

820c941c-4cff-4a50-aadf-e9612cb1a2e9_text.gif

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
"Very few of the most important players..."

You say that so nonchalantly. Like most of them haven't spent the last 3 or 4 years toiling and trying to figure this league out?

Luke has played 2 professional games. We're not talking about no playoff experience with Luke, we are talking about no experience at all with Luke. And with that, it is not question of "if" mistakes will be made it is a question of when and how bad.
Of course I say that nonchalantly, it’s because it’s true. Is it not generally accepted that teams need to experience failure in the playoffs before reaching the next level? Like I said, if we cap off this year with a Cup I’m all good.

And for all the talk about mistakes - when any of our defenseman besides Hamilton and maybe Severson make a mistake, can they make up for that by turning the game around? I love our defense as constructed and would go with Luke as the 7/8 but it’s not even out of the ordinary that these players thrive when hitting the post season.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I'm risk averse when it comes to roster decisions and I very much was of the mindset don't put Luke in a position to fail until I saw that OT goal last night. Now I'm wondering just how far and how quickly he could go. My brain says no but my heart says yes... this is like a lot of mornings when I wish I had a do-over in my youth lol.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Are we going to allow 22 other guys to suffer because it's beneficial for Luke to gain experience?

I agree with the last part you said,but I’m not sure about other players suffering or being pissed off about Luke playing . And I dont think giving Luke experience plays any factor in o dressing him or not. They know they have time to get him experience am there is no rush IMO. If they do play him , it’s because they think the he gives them a better chance to win , nothing else.

I'm risk averse when it comes to roster decisions and I very much was of the mindset don't put Luke in a position to fail until I saw that OT goal last night. Now I'm wondering just how far and how quickly he could go. My brain says no but my heart says yes... this is like a lot of mornings when I wish I had a do-over in my youth lol.
Last nights game for Luke has changed my option from “ hell no” to start him in the playoffs to “ hmm maybe? Depends “.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Of course I say that nonchalantly, it’s because it’s true. Is it not generally accepted that teams need to experience failure in the playoffs before reaching the next level? Like I said, if we cap off this year with a Cup I’m all good.

And for all the talk about mistakes - when any of our defenseman besides Hamilton and maybe Severson make a mistake, can they make up for that by turning the game around? I love our defense as constructed and would go with Luke as the 7/8 but it’s not even out of the ordinary that these players thrive when hitting the post season.
It sounds like you are writing these playoffs off as a "learning year"?

Cup or nothing seems a little off base to me. There is a lot this team can accomplish without winning the cup. And I personally think some of these players need to taste some playoff success.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Last nights game for Luke has changed my option from “ hell no” to start him in the playoffs to “ hmm maybe? Depends “.
This is where I'm at too. I think if Graves or Siegenthaler get hurt you can have the discussion but I'm not putting him in over them at the moment and that's basically what it comes down to. Bahl has earned it IMO. So basically it's going to be Hughes Vs Smith if something happens to Graves or Siegenthaler and then my mind kind of leans more towards Hughes.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He was great for the first 60 games. But he's been god awful (out of nowhere) for a while now.

I don't put a lot into appeal to authority - aren't you the guy who thinks Bratt is terrible? If he's so bad then why does he play so much?
Not going to let this thread devolve into a Bratt discussion - though it is telling he is nowhere to be found on the PK and a rather pedestrian +14 despite a 73 point season.

There's a huge reason the Devils are a playoff team this year - the presence of Graves, Marino, Bahl and a healthy Dougie Hamilton replacing half the defense corps from 2021-22.

The idea of breaking that up based on a 3-on-3 goal in what was basically a glorified scrimmage doesn't make much sense.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad