Prospect Info: Luke Hughes - part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
I don't give a shit about "the guys that got you there"

Smith stinks and lost his spot to Bahl. Siegenthaler played his way down the entire lineup to a healthy scratch. It will never happen but I think Luke looked much better than Siegenthaler yesterday and should start game 1.

If Smith gets games over Luke it's a joke. Play to win games, not to make these bums happy.

Reactions: longislanddevil

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'm risk averse when it comes to roster decisions and I very much was of the mindset don't put Luke in a position to fail until I saw that OT goal last night. Now I'm wondering just how far and how quickly he could go. My brain says no but my heart says yes... this is like a lot of mornings when I wish I had a do-over in my youth lol.
As great as what Luke did in OT was, playoffs are going to be at 5 on 5. I'm not taking a risk unless we are down in the series.

Reactions: Billdo

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
As great as what Luke did in OT was, playoffs are going to be at 5 on 5. I'm not taking a risk unless we are down in the series.
I was extremely impressed by Luke all night, well before the incredible goal. Loved how quickly and efficiently he was getting the puck out of the zone. Failed clears will burn us against the Rangers.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Smith stinks and lost his spot to Bahl. Siegenthaler played his way down the entire lineup to a healthy scratch. It will never happen but I think Luke looked much better than Siegenthaler yesterday and should start game 1.

If Smith gets games over Luke it's a joke. Play to win games, not to make these bums happy.

Remember that year we played Ottawa in the playoffs and Spezza didn't start games until it was too late for them? I'm a bit nervous things might go that way with Luke. I also wonder if we would have won that series had Spezza started game 1.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not going to let this thread devolve into a Bratt discussion - though it is telling he is nowhere to be found on the PK and a rather pedestrian +14 despite a 73 point season.

There's a huge reason the Devils are a playoff team this year - the presence of Graves, Marino, Bahl and a healthy Dougie Hamilton replacing half the defense corps from 2021-22.

The idea of breaking that up based on a 3-on-3 goal in what was basically a glorified scrimmage doesn't make much sense.
Jack Hughes was only +10 and also not on the PK. I guess he's bad too.

If you think my opinion on L Hughes is based on his OT goal than lol.

Man there are some clueless devils fans out there.

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011

While I agree Smith is a net negative, I also can see wanting to protect Luke if the series takes an ugly turn. Hes just not used to that kind of strength coming at him yet and its a playoff series versus our biggest rivals lol

But game 1 Id start Bahl

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Under no circumstances should Smith play over Luke. There is nothing Smith does better than Luke at this point, except PK. We have Marino, Graves, Bahl, and others for that. For those worried about Luke’s defense, let’s not act like Smith’s defense is good. He is also a penalty machine. I personally would not mess with the current D and Bahl, who was once on the fringe, is now a virtual must start IMO. Short of an injury (and I hope there aren’t), I think Luke’s best chance to be inserted is if Siegs plays poorly. Graves won’t be benched. I don’t see it. I like the idea of turning to Luke in the event a spark or change of momentum is needed. I am also OK with 11/7 but longterm, that isn’t a solution….you don’t want too much double shifting….the playoffs are a marathon and not a sprint.

On almost any other team, Luke would be in. This is a testament to the amazing job Fitz has done in transforming a major team weakness into one of the best D cores in the league.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Am I missing something? Is there a pass/fail test at the playoffs where we see specific individual players “fail”?

Luke’s not going to shit himself and shoot pucks in his own net. He’s not going to have a bad game that is psychologically damaging long term.

If he plays he doesn’t have to win the Conn Smythe and if he makes a mistake, even one that leads to a goal against, that’s only hugely significant in the longterm to people who decide to weirdly fixate on that.

There’s no way on earth he wouldn’t want to play and there’s no way he’s a coward or a baby about this.

I doubt Luke plays the 1st game, partly because it probably better to get Jack some experience first before potentially distracting him with the excitement of having Luke in the game.

But if we had poll I would say Luke eventually plays. If not because of injury then because Ruff is too intrigued by what he brings to the table.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Under no circumstances should Smith play over Luke. There is nothing Smith does better than Luke at this point, except PK. We have Marino, Graves, Bahl, and others for that. For those worried about Luke’s defense, let’s not act like Smith’s defense is good. He is also a penalty machine. I personally would not mess with the current D and Bahl, who was once on the fringe, is now a virtual must start IMO. Short of an injury (and I hope there aren’t), I think Luke’s best chance to be inserted is if Siegs plays poorly. Graves won’t be benched. I don’t see it. I like the idea of turning to Luke in the event a spark or change of momentum is needed. I am also OK with 11/7 but longterm, that isn’t a solution….you don’t want too much double shifting….the playoffs are a marathon and not a sprint.

On almost any other team, Luke would be in. This is a testament to the amazing job Fitz has done in transforming a major team weakness into one of the best D cores in the league.
Exactly.

Reactions: longislanddevil

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
stay on topic

we are talking about dumb dogs

:huh:

carry on
My middle son insisted we bring the dogs to visit him at college this weekend and I had to take my youngest to an admitted students day at a school he is considering and my poor wife had to drive the two goldens about five hours alone. Lots of smelly panting and fur balls fly during long car rides.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Love what Luke did, really exciting. I think he will become 60+ points defenseman really quick.

But I can`t say I`m ready to put him on the roster against rangers in first play off game. Sorry. Very motivated Kreider, Zibanejad, Panarin, Trochek against Luke, who saw 2 professional games. I agree that he should play over Smith, but we have 6 more defensemen and we need all of our forwards to take the pressure and make the pressure. I easily believe Ruff will use him if the series will not go well from the start. But he should be an option to turn the bad series(if he can`t, so it`s not his fault), he shouldn`t be a reason why this series will be bad from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad