Prospect Info: Luke Hughes (#4 overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Not the player I wanted but can't be upset with Luke. Seeing the family be that excited was pretty cool too.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Guess I’ll be watching a lot of Wolverine games this year.

I really hope we made the right call and didn’t go with the Disney storyline. What’s done is done and I’ll cheer for Luke every chance I get from now on!

Reactions: RememberTheName

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Guess I’ll be watching a lot of Wolverine games this year.

I really hope we made the right call and didn’t go with the Disney storyline. What’s done is done and I’ll cheer for Luke every chance I get from now on!
That's really all there is to it. Love the pick or hate the pick, we gotta cheer on our guys no matter what. They are a Devil now, and we gotta root for them to be the best player possible.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Last edited:

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
E5ktN0ZVECof-y4

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's really all there is to it. Love the pick or hate the pick, we gotta cheer on our guys no matter what. They are a Devil now, and we gotta root for them to be the best player possible.

Plenty to like about this pick beyond his name though.

Big, elite skating Dman, with lots of upside.

He brings things to our blueline we don't have.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Idk even know if we are doing a development camp, but do college kids still have to pay their own way after the recent NCAA rulings?

Can college kids even show up to regular training camp? He 1000% should be in college next year but a few preseason practices and maybe even one preseason game would be cool.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Idk even know if we are doing a development camp, but do college kids still have to pay their own way after the recent NCAA rulings?

Can college kids even show up to regular training camp? He 1000% should be in college next year but a few preseason practices and maybe even one preseason game would be cool.

Still have to pay your own way for development camp but I think the family can find the funds. :lol:

Reactions: Ripshot 43

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Luke Hughes is -- on talent alone -- the most talented defenseman the Devils have drafted since Scott Niedermeyer. It's that simple. He's got a lot to work on, but he's young. But the fact remains that we're talking about a kid with a rare combination of size and skating who adds elite or near-elite offensive tools and offensive awareness. His offensive upside is absolutely tremendous -- certainly comparable to older brother Quinn, while Luke's far greater size and strength gives him greater defensive possibility.

If Luke Hughes does not approach his ceiling, he will still be the best offensive defenseman in the Devils organization, albeit a guy you will have to match-up carefully and play situationally. If he does approach his ceiling? Luke Hughes' upside is as high as any player in the 2021 draft -- he can become one of the top scoring defenders in the league and a zone exit and entry machine.

The pick is understandable on several levels, and has the potential of being a great pick. Now, it's up to Luke Hughes.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The only bad part about this is that I don't like when jerseys have to have the initial in the name because players share a last name. Let's just put Jack, Luke (eventually Quinn) on there instead

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Luke Hughes is -- on talent alone -- the most talented defenseman the Devils have drafted since Scott Niedermeyer. It's that simple. He's got a lot to work on, but he's young. But the fact remains that we're talking about a kid with a rare combination of size and skating who adds elite or near-elite offensive tools and offensive awareness. His offensive upside is absolutely tremendous -- certainly comparable to older brother Quinn, while Luke's far greater size and strength gives him greater defensive possibility.

If Luke Hughes does not approach his ceiling, he will still be the best offensive defenseman in the Devils organization, albeit a guy you will have to match-up carefully and play situationally. If he does approach his ceiling? Luke Hughes' upside is as high as any player in the 2021 draft -- he can become one of the top scoring defenders in the league and a zone exit and entry machine.

The pick is understandable on several levels, and has the potential of being a great pick. Now, it's up to Luke Hughes.
Can he ever be the D that he said he wants to become? The guy you put on the ice whe there’s a minute left in the game and you need a goal or if you are defending a one goal lead? That’s the type of D I want. Someone you can play 25 minutes a night . That’s not too much to ask for now is it lol.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The only bad part about this is that I don't like when jerseys have to have the initial in the name because players share a last name. Let's just put Jack, Luke (eventually Quinn) on there instead

At least the parents were considerate enough not to name them Jack, James and Jason...then you'd have to stretch out the initials even more :)

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

thanks for all the time you put into the drafts…..

….now pour yourself a tall one :cheers:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Can he ever be the D that he said he wants to become? The guy you put on the ice whe there’s a minute left in the game and you need a goal or if you are defending a one goal lead? That’s the type of D I want. Someone you can play 25 minutes a night . That’s not too much to ask for now is it lol.

I feel the only guys with that potential in this draft may have been Power or Lambos. Clarke and Hughes are offensive D, plain and simple. Edvinsson is a defensive D, plain and simple. The 2021 class is just that way.

I'm fine with a team where -- down by one late you throw out Hughes and Smith, while up by one late you throw out Okhotyuk and McCarthy. Maybe next year the Devils draft a top RD -- it's a deep year at the position.

Hughes would not have been my pick at #4, but I'm fine with it. The upside is undeniably huge, and he adds a dimension of constant offensive danger from the blueline the Devils have lacked since Niedermeyer. I'm excited and encouraged by the pick, and the Devils future just got far brighter.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I think thatll be Ty (last minute up a goal)

but it could also be Luke (last minute down a goal)

I think Luke ends up better, a 1D, while Ty is a #2

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I feel the only guys with that potential in this draft may have been Power or Lambos. Clarke and Hughes are offensive D, plain and simple. Edvinsson is a defensive D, plain and simple. The 2021 class is just that way.

I'm fine with a team where -- down by one late you throw out Hughes and Smith, while up by one late you throw out Okhotyuk and McCarthy. Maybe next year the Devils draft a top RD -- it's a deep year at the position.

Hughes would not have been my pick at #4, but I'm fine with it. The upside is undeniably huge, and he adds a dimension of constant offensive danger from the blueline the Devils have lacked since Niedermeyer. I'm excited and encouraged by the pick, and the Devils future just got far brighter.
Who was your guy you wanted ? Clarke ? Eklund ?

Reactions: StevenToddIves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad