Friedman: Luke Glendening to Toronto “Very Real”

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't like it, but I get it. This is a fourth-line centre we're discussing. If the coach wants his trusted plug he can put out there to win face-offs and play defence, so be it. And even though the term is a bit long, it's fourth-line money.

This really belongs on the Leafs' board, not here, but if LG gives Babcock the PK/face-off/defensive centre he needs, then maybe they can let Bozak walk and concentrate on filling the top three centre positions with Matthews, Kadri and fill-in-the blank -- maybe Aaltonen becomes a third-liner instead of a fourth-liner.

Furthermore, picking up LG doesn't mean the Leafs have to give up on or get rid of Fred Gauthier. It just means that if FG wants to make the team, he has to beat out LG. It just raises the bar on what FG has to do to earn a spot, and that isn't a bad thing either. Otherwise, FG might stay in the AHL as long as possible, or ride the bench as the 13th or 14th forward.

I won't be at all disappointed if the Leafs don't pick up this plug, but I guess I could live with it if they do.

If Glendenning does come in Gauthier has no future on this team. LG has 3 years left on his deal after this season if he comes in that 4th line spot is his

The Leafs gave Gauthier a chance to take that spot he didn't get it done, now it appears they are moving on.

Reactions: jrgtml67

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I love the kid but his game isnt translating to the NHL. His first cpl games he was good then fell apart. Whereas say Kapenen is pretty damn consistent. The last 3 games ive not liked our games...freddy stole us 2 and in part a bit tonight in the shootout he was a rocky early. Anyway...I think we need a center hands down and Luke is fast so is Kap makes sense to me.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Higher cost though? Im liking that so many teams are selling. Supply and demand..i think this is why the leafs are being patient. The prices will only go down especially on rentals.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Higher cost though? Im liking that so many teams are selling. Supply and demand..i think this is why the leafs are being patient. The prices will only go down especially on rentals.

Ehh, as the fan of a selling team I found Grabner's price encouraging.

Would like to see Holland float Nyquist and Tatar out there.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
As i said though the closer to the 26th it gets the lower the tag or the team risks losing a ufa for nothing

Mantooth

Mar 4, 2013
Let's follow this trade tree..kessel--->KK---->LG....yep makes sense.

Can we get nyquist for Moore while we are at it?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm sure someone has mentioned this already but Babs can't really overplay Glendening when the centers above him are so much better. On Detroit they didn't have a ton that could play those minutes. Babs already has Matthews and Kadri that can match up vs top comp. There's no reason for him to play more than 16 minutes a night like he was on Detroit under Babs.

Well seeing how he hates Nylander for no apparent reason:

Hyman - Matthews - Glendening

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I said this before that if the Leafs are serious about adding to this team for the long term get a package that includes both AA and Glendening. I know that wings fans would be looking for a pretty decent package. Something like this:

TML
2018 1st
Trade Bozak for prospect or pick that goes (likely a second) to Wings
Brown
Gauthier

Wings
AA
Glendening

Not sure how many contracts wings have but obviously an AHL contract coming back could be done.

Am I way off base? No Dermott or Kapanen going back. Sorry but I look at those two as players we can’t part with.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
I said this before that if the Leafs are serious about adding to this team for the long term get a package that includes both AA and Glendening. I know that wings fans would be looking for a pretty decent package. Something like this:

TML
2018 1st
Brown
Gauthier

Wings
AA
Glendening

Not sure how many contracts wings have but obviously an AHL contract coming back could be done.

Am I way off base? No Dermott or Kapanen going back. Sorry but I look at those two as players we can’t part with.
A 1st for Glendening and Athanasiou? Let alone adding Bozak, Brown, and Gauthier? I don't know anybody in their right mind would do this deal. Obviously if it was Detroit I would take it and run.

Reactions: Mork

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

TML
2018 1st
Brown
Gauthier

Wings
AA
Glendening

What kind of crazy world does Athanasiou garner that kind of return?

Reactions: htpwn and AppsSyl

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
It’s a very Late 1st

AA would be a perfect replacement for Bozak. Young, plays 200 foot game, and can add some offence. Likely to be relatively cheap too 3-3.5 on a new deal long term.

Again Glendening is our 4C for the next 3 years on a cheap deal.

Brown can be replaced by Kapanen which is where he should be. We have some Marlies or Martin that can drop back into the 4th line.

The Goat is meh, sure he is big, and decent defensively but I don’t feel he is what we need on our forth line.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
I'm sure someone has mentioned this already but Babs can't really overplay Glendening when the centers above him are so much better. On Detroit they didn't have a ton that could play those minutes. Babs already has Matthews and Kadri that can match up vs top comp. There's no reason for him to play more than 16 minutes a night like he was on Detroit under Babs.
Didn't realize Matthews and Kadri were so much better than Datsyuk/Zetterberg lol.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

TML
2018 1st
Brown
Gauthier

Wings
AA
Glendening

SOLD.

Although, something tells me Babcock wouldn't be thrilled with AA...

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
So the deal ends up being...
TML
2018 1st
2018 2nd (Sjs or tml whichever is lower)
Gauthier
Martin

Wings
AA
Glendening

That would.make me allot more comfortable but still not sure I'd do it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Lets be honest you'd throw in Helm no matter when the Leafs called.

As I said, if you call within the next 5 minutes we'll throw in Helm. If you call in 6 minutes, we're gonna tell you to f*** off and keep Matthews. We're the ones helping you here.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Well seeing how he hates Nylander for no apparent reason:

Hyman - Matthews - Glendening

He definitely doesn't hate Nylander lol. Wouldn't have him playing center against Boston when he could use Marleau there instead if he hated em.

Haha, you'd be surprised how much ice time the boy will get when he comes home to daddy! Detroit had Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Helm and Glendening down the middle at one point, and Glendening still played 17-18 minutes a night at times. You will learn to hate Babcock's overuse sooner than later.

eh I think you guys are overstating how much he liked Glendening. I'm sure there were a few games here and there but below are Detroit's forwards during the two years Babcock coached Glendening (combined season totals, min 50 gp).

EvqsJid.png

Didn't realize Matthews and Kadri were so much better than Datsyuk/Zetterberg lol.

See my post above. Glendening wasn't overused as much as you guys are claiming. He'd be getting 9-11 mins at ES and then a lot of PK mins. Wouldn't be taking away from our offensive guys.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
He definitely doesn't hate Nylander lol. Wouldn't have him playing center against Boston when he could use Marleau there instead if he hated em.

eh I think you guys are overstating how much he liked Glendening. I'm sure there were a few games here and there but below are Detroit's forwards during the two years Babcock coached Glendening (combined season totals, min 50 gp).

EvqsJid.png

See my post above. Glendening wasn't overused as much as you guys are claiming. He'd be getting 9-11 mins at ES and then a lot of PK mins. Wouldn't be taking away from our offensive guys.
Averages 15:30 in the playoffs, that’s when his role changes from defensive zone 4th liner to shut down other teams top line player

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Averages 15:30 in the playoffs, that’s when his role changes from defensive zone 4th liner to shut down other teams top line player
I don't get the hype on Glendenning,
He shut down Tyler Johnson for one playoff series.
Big whoops.
Someone bigger, perhaps, ever?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I don't get the hype on Glendenning,
He shut down Tyler Johnson for one playoff series.
Big whoops.
Someone bigger, perhaps, ever?
I’m just saying expect him to take on a bigger role once playoffs start. Which he might not even be good at anymore, who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad