Friedman: Luke Glendening to Toronto “Very Real”

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Any possibility to get Fredrick Gauthier for Glendening? Same role, just younger player for Detroit.

Maple Leafs will get a guy in prime and Red Wings will get a guy whose prime is in the future.

Win-Win.

Reactions: indigobuffalo

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Any possibility to get Fredrick Gauthier for Glendening? Same role, just younger player for Detroit.

Maple Leafs will get a guy in prime and Red Wings will get a guy whose prime is in the future.

Win-Win.
im guessing wings wanna use turgeon there, not the goat.. would prefer a pick

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Awesome 4th liner but Leafs fans will prob end up hating him, only because Babcock will give him so much playing time.

Babcock overplays guys like Komarov and Martin when he’s got a lead and is playing the guys that will grind out the game.

Personally I think it’s a good thing if a guy like JVR is “limited” to 15 mins a night and Komarov gets 24 mins.

It probably means we’re winning.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Babcock overplays guys like Komarov and Martin when he’s got a lead and is playing the guys that will grind out the game.

Personally I think it’s a good thing if a guy like JVR is “limited” to 15 mins a night and Komarov gets 24 mins.

Except Komarov is also out there if we're down a goal with 5 minutes left. And on the PP for some reason. And starting OT... And in a 6 on 5...

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Babcock *really* likes him.

If I wasn't convinced that the post would be immediately deleted and receive an infraction, I'd love to post a well known picture of Drake from Degrassi.

Just with a photoshop of Babcock's head upon learning that Glendening is available in a trade.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It would be a very "meh" move. Is not going to make a difference to Toronto's chances at all. Either do something more substantial that actually moves the needle, or don't do anything at all. I am fine with doing nothing. Still a growing team with no rush to win. Going from Moore to Glendenning does not do anything.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I've been saying this in the other Glendening to Toronto thread. Leaf fans will see his corsi and be all fired up about how bad he is (not saying you, just in general), some guys were saying hes not even an NHL calibre player but hes a great hockey player in his role. There isnt a lot of fourth line C's that I would take over him. In Toronto they have the depth to play him in his role, Detroit doesnt but to a playoff team hes useful. Babcock used to match him up against top lines like Crosby and he would come out pretty even. He wouldnt win the corsi battle ut he wouldnt give up a tonne of high quality scoring chances either. Hes a top 3, elite faceoff guy this year which in itself is useful but hes also really good defensively, a bit of a pest and will chip in offensively. If you dig deeper into his advanced stats instead of just corsi, youll see his usage impacts that a bit, but hes usually great at shot suppression and doesnt give up as many "high danger" chances as you would think given his corsi. Basically meaning he doesnt take a lot of shots but he doesnt give up many dangerous ones either.

Babcock would trust him matched up against a first or second line of another playoff team, freeing up Matthews or Kadri. I highly doubt Moore would see the ice in the playoffs. Hes a definite upgrade at 4C, and the Leafs wouldnt have to keep shopping around for one the next couple years.

Yep I agree. Kapanen was obviously never going to happen (and it seems like he was never asked for), and a second might be too rich for the Leafs unless the wings give a bit of cap relief by taking on Martin. By the time the wings are competitive, his 2.5 will be off the books and maybe he'll sign cheap with his childhood team. As a wings fan and the wings sucking I would be completely ok with watching a team that has Martin and Witkowski out there

What's going to happen is that someone in TO is going to have their numbers inflated because of Babcock's silly idiosyncrasies.
And then you're going to get walloped with the Justin Abdelkader/Darren Helm/Jonathan Ericsson kind of contracts that immobilize your GM.

Reactions: hotpaws

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

The bolded is not really true. Martin tends to get benched in any close or trailing game in the third.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't like it, but I get it. This is a fourth-line centre we're discussing. If the coach wants his trusted plug he can put out there to win face-offs and play defence, so be it. And even though the term is a bit long, it's fourth-line money.

This really belongs on the Leafs' board, not here, but if LG gives Babcock the PK/face-off/defensive centre he needs, then maybe they can let Bozak walk and concentrate on filling the top three centre positions with Matthews, Kadri and fill-in-the blank -- maybe Aaltonen becomes a third-liner instead of a fourth-liner.

Furthermore, picking up LG doesn't mean the Leafs have to give up on or get rid of Fred Gauthier. It just means that if FG wants to make the team, he has to beat out LG. It just raises the bar on what FG has to do to earn a spot, and that isn't a bad thing either. Otherwise, FG might stay in the AHL as long as possible, or ride the bench as the 13th or 14th forward.

I won't be at all disappointed if the Leafs don't pick up this plug, but I guess I could live with it if they do.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
classic babcock kind of player that he usually has on his roster. defensive minded C that matches up against opposing top lines. good FO% dont expect more than 15-20 pts/82 games. also tends to get overplayed a bit

I'd only be okay with it if it's Martin + something worse than a 3rd.

Not sure why we're giving Babcock another one favourite to overplay....please don't, he's not very good.

Awesome 4th liner but Leafs fans will prob end up hating him, only because Babcock will give him so much playing time.

I'm sure someone has mentioned this already but Babs can't really overplay Glendening when the centers above him are so much better. On Detroit they didn't have a ton that could play those minutes. Babs already has Matthews and Kadri that can match up vs top comp. There's no reason for him to play more than 16 minutes a night like he was on Detroit under Babs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It would be a very "meh" move. Is not going to make a difference to Toronto's chances at all. Either do something more substantial that actually moves the needle, or don't do anything at all. I am fine with doing nothing. Still a growing team with no rush to win. Going from Moore to Glendenning does not do anything.

It makes the team younger and better

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'm sure someone has mentioned this already but Babs can't really overplay Glendening when the centers above him are so much better. On Detroit they didn't have a ton that could play those minutes. Babs already has Matthews and Kadri that can match up vs top comp. There's no reason for him to play more than 16 minutes a night like he was on Detroit under Babs.

Haha, you'd be surprised how much ice time the boy will get when he comes home to daddy! Detroit had Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Helm and Glendening down the middle at one point, and Glendening still played 17-18 minutes a night at times. You will learn to hate Babcock's overuse sooner than later.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Teams that want to move into contender status add these kind of players all the time at the deadline, and they are an important piece to trying to win, especially in tough tight playoff games. Most of the big name trades, the ones that get us excited have little or no effect on the Champ in any given year. These tiny moves are usually the ones that make more a difference, because more NHL depth at playoff time is never a bad thing, as injuries happen a lot.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
If the rumor is even true it could happen now if Matthews is missing time. Which from his facial expression looks not good.

Even if not Glending have to get a center

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad