Friedman: Luke Glendening to Toronto “Very Real”

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I don't get the hype on Glendenning,
He shut down Tyler Johnson for one playoff series.
Big whoops.
Someone bigger, perhaps, ever?

His faceoff percentage is 57 this year 4th highest in the league and he is usually good for about 10 goals he has 8 this year. He is an excellent penalty killer and one of the best 4th liners in the league.

But yah big whoops lol

Reactions: 21 Savage

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Averages 15:30 in the playoffs, that’s when his role changes from defensive zone 4th liner to shut down other teams top line player

Still didn't play that much though. Looking at the TOI breakdowns his entire bump in ice time was just due to an extra minute of PP time instead of no PP time at all. And didn't he play really well matching up against Tampa's top line that one year? I thought I remember reading that.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Still didn't play that much though. Looking at the TOI breakdowns his entire bump in ice time was just due to an extra minute of PP time instead of no PP time at all. And didn't he play really well matching up against Tampa's top line that one year? I thought I remember reading that.
I believe one year he did really good and one year he didn’t do great

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
His faceoff percentage is 57 this year 4th highest in the league and he is usually good for about 10 goals he has 8 this year. He is an excellent penalty killer and one of the best 4th liners in the league.

But yah big whoops lol
Faceoffs are good, no argument.
But, he has been on the ice for so many 3rd period meltdowns by the Wings over the past few years that calling him "good defensively" is a stretch.
PK is also not ranked THAT high.

So yeah, lol, 1.8 million 4th liner on the long term contract.

Grabner has 25 goals, BTW.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He definitely doesn't hate Nylander lol. Wouldn't have him playing center against Boston when he could use Marleau there instead if he hated em.

eh I think you guys are overstating how much he liked Glendening. I'm sure there were a few games here and there but below are Detroit's forwards during the two years Babcock coached Glendening (combined season totals, min 50 gp).

EvqsJid.png

See my post above. Glendening wasn't overused as much as you guys are claiming. He'd be getting 9-11 mins at ES and then a lot of PK mins. Wouldn't be taking away from our offensive guys.

Stats don't tell the real story of how often he played too many minutes. Believe me when I tell you, if you get him, there will be many games where your down a goal or tied with 7-8 minutes left and you ask yourself, why the heck is Glendening on the ice. In the described situation, Glendening's only role should be sliding back and forth on the bench, making room for other players to go to and from the ice.

Also want to mention from the above that his numbers over those games will be lower, as he would have been a rookie at some point during that, and he didn't play as much when he first made the team. Once Babcock fell in love with him, most nights at lowest he was 13, with many 15 minute nights. Believe Wings fans, we watch the games and know what we witnessed.

Also, where are these stats from? On more than one site that I have gone too, Luke Glendening's average ice time per season is no lower than 12:54 per game for the entire season.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I don't get the hype on Glendenning,
He shut down Tyler Johnson for one playoff series.
Big whoops.
Someone bigger, perhaps, ever?
The Detroit front office has a boner for Detroit roll players, so therefore, so does the Detroit media who are yes men to whatever the Red Wings do or so, and therefore, so are some of the team's fans.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Let's be honest at this point. Predicting BOS and TBL response to PIT, is Glendening going to do anything at all? Like why waste our freaking time.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
lAlso, where are these stats from? On more than one site that I have gone too, Luke Glendening's average ice time per season is no lower than 12:54 per game for the entire season.

Those numebrs are from NHL.com. The circled numbers are specific time on ice such as even strength. He averaged 14:23 minutes a game in the two years Babcock coached him.

Here are the numbers in his first year under Babs:

jTSQLLJ.png

Here are the numbers in his second year when Babs apparently fell in love with him:

fM09kdD.png

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Those numebrs are from NHL.com. The circled numbers are specific time on ice such as even strength. He averaged 14:23 minutes a game in the two years Babcock coached him.

Here are the numbers in his first year under Babs:

jTSQLLJ.png

Here are the numbers in his second year when Babs apparently fell in love with him:

fM09kdD.png

Yes and as I already said, the games he plays over that average weigh much more heavily than the ones he doesn't. Averages are just averages, which means, yeah there were games under that total, but more where he was above it, especially in times where it makes no sense for a non scoring 4th liner, like when you are down a goal late.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Detroit front office has a ***** for Detroit roll players, so therefore, so does the Detroit media who are yes men to whatever the Red Wings do or so, and therefore, so are some of the team's fans.

Glendening was great both series in my opinion but in particular the first series with Tampa. In fact when he went down they were getting ready to close out the series. Then Datsyuk (yeah the guy with all those Selke Trophies) got absolutely destroyed by the Johnson line after Glendening was injured in a scrum. Zetterberg did a little bit better but Babcock freezing with the Datsyuk Johnson matchup for a period and overtime was a massive mistake. Still that might be the best endorsement I could give on Glendening, while yes Datsyuk was older, Glendening was better defensively at that point than him.

He is a really good defensive hockey player. He is fed tough minutes and does his best to contribute shift in and shift out. I understand why teammates, coaches and management love this guy. He is a very good player. Realistically what he does best isn't going to be extremely valuable to a basement team. I don't have a problem holding onto him, but a second round pick is enough to say goodbye. But I don't want to throw Glendening out of the building and Wings fans shouldn't either.

The local beat writers might be on the take and mouthpieces, but Glendening's fans in hockey circles extend beyond just Detroit. Listen to how the national guys talk about him whenever they are on one of those broadcasts. Hockey people like this guy for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98 and bukwas

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Players like Glendening are always underrated by message board stat watchers while GMs, coaches and players love them. I wonder whose assessment is more accurate?

Most posters on these boards would have 19 yr olds playing 3rd and 4th line roles in the NHL. Didn't you know they develop faster that way? Or wait, maybe that's the video game..

Reactions: rojac

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
I'd like to see the Wild pursue Glendening. Maybe Reilly, Stewart and a 5th gets it done?
We don't want or need roster players. I'd welcome Stewart and a 2nd or 3rd.

As Leafs fans have mentioned. I'd take Martin+2nd.

Wings get a bit of grit, not really a bunch of AHL plugs, and a decent draft pick. I'd keep Luke for a 5th...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad