Rumor: Luke Glendening linked to Toronto (Pagnotta The Fourth Period)

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
We didn't make the playoffs in 2008. Wings won it that year if memory still serves me correctly. I was just was talking about when the Leafs were contenders. The only criterion I put on it was that a contender would make the conference final.

Oh, my mistake, apparently I didn't read everything entirely. Or my reading comprehension was broken.

Either way, no worries.

Reactions: Leaf Fans

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
What a dumb opinion. Luke Glendening is good enough to be in any teams lineup in the league, not some guy you hope never plays. Fine if you don't want to pay to get him, but pretending he is taxi squad at best, shows your ignorance to what makes a good NHL player.

Sure. Show me who he knocks out once we have traded for a top 6 forward?

Hyman, Engvalle, Soup, Spezza, Simmonds, Galy and Kerfoot. Is he better than a couple of those options? Sure but why would I want to pay the price to get him out of there when that asset can be used on the aforementioned top 6 forward in conjunction with other assets? As I stated before, the Leafs would rather the players mentioned above play better than Glendening as they are either cheaper or should be better hockey players. Even the players he is better than, it's marginal at best and we are talking about 4th liners here.

The Leafs sound like they want to upgrade their top 6. Any player they bring in for the bottom 6 will be a taxi squad player at best and by your own admission Glendenning should be used in a better position so again why would the Leafs do this??

Reactions: Prominence

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Leafs fans: Glendening is worth a 3rd rounder

Wings fans: I could take a 3rd rounder

Dr. Quincy: Glendening must be destroyed!
Oh not me.

I sincerely wish Luke a long and healthy career playing on the Detroit Red Wings 4th line and PK and providing the kind of game that teams need to win.

I hope you keep him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Genuine question with a touch of sarcasm: If the Leafs are looking for an industrious and versatile 4th liner such as Luke Glendening, what is the qualitative difference between what we could expect from him vs a guy like Travis Boyd that we just lost through waivers to account for a 2nd or 3rd round pick in trade value?

Reactions: Tmart335 and Dustin

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Genuine question with a touch of sarcasm: If the Leafs are looking for an industrious and versatile 4th liner such as Luke Glendening, what is the qualitative difference between what we could expect from him vs a guy like Travis Boyd that we just lost through waivers to account for a 2nd or 3rd round pick in trade value?
Better faceoffs, more physical, harder forecheck, more reliable penalty killer, higher (though not much) offensive output. I like boyd, but there's no question that glendening is a superior player. If the cost is a 3rd+a contract I do that trade 10/10 times. A 2nd is a bit steep, but if that what it takes in a bidding war, id probably pull the trigger still.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Better faceoffs, more physical, harder forecheck, more reliable penalty killer, higher (though not much) offensive output. I like boyd, but there's no question that glendening is a superior player. If the cost is a 3rd+a contract I do that trade 10/10 times. A 2nd is a bit steep, but if that what it takes in a bidding war, id probably pull the trigger still.

I dunno, my first reaction to this is "not another second round pick for a marginal center upgrade" after the Boyle and Plekanec deals. Not dismissing Glendening, just cheap.

Reactions: Dustin

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I dunno, my first reaction to this is "not another second round pick for a marginal center upgrade" after the Boyle and Plekanec deals. Not dismissing Glendening, just cheap.
I get it. Though, I've grown to trust the leafs scouting staff over the last few years. So, a pick out to help a potential contending team this yr vs. A pick kept that might maybe be a rookie on the NHL team in 3-4 yrs when the entire makeup of the team will be different... Yeah, roll the dice, even if it's just to show some goodwill to Joe, spezz, and to show the core that it's time to step up and deliver. That said, if guys like granlund, rakell, palmeri, or (unlikely) debrusk are available for a pick+, I exhaust those options before circling back to glendening.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Sure. Show me who he knocks out once we have traded for a top 6 forward?

Hyman, Engvalle, Soup, Spezza, Simmonds, Galy and Kerfoot. Is he better than a couple of those options? Sure but why would I want to pay the price to get him out of there when that asset can be used on the aforementioned top 6 forward in conjunction with other assets? As I stated before, the Leafs would rather the players mentioned above play better than Glendening as they are either cheaper or should be better hockey players. Even the players he is better than, it's marginal at best and we are talking about 4th liners here.

The Leafs sound like they want to upgrade their top 6. Any player they bring in for the bottom 6 will be a taxi squad player at best and by your own admission Glendenning should be used in a better position so again why would the Leafs do this??

How are the already at the cap Leafs making a move to acquire a top 6 forward??? If they do, Kerfoot at minimum is gone, and Glendening without doing anything trumps Galchenyuk by a lot.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Only way this makes sense is to move Spezza to the wing on the fourth line. Giving up any assets to make such an insignificant move like this makes absolutely no sense unless they plan on keeping Engvall as the #3. Glendenning would then take jump in and out of important situations to take faceoffs while Spezza moves up and down the line on the wing to give him more ice time.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
How are the already at the cap Leafs making a move to acquire a top 6 forward??? If they do, Kerfoot at minimum is gone, and Glendening without doing anything trumps Galchenyuk by a lot.

I guess I am not expressing myself very well. As other have mentioned above I do not see the difference between who we have in our bottom 6 vs Glendenning being a 2nd. If our bottom 6 was in absolute shambles or we needed leadership there then perhaps but neither of those are true. Glendenning is not better than Spezza, Simmonds or Hyman. I wouldn't replace Soup with him or Engvalle so that leaves one spot. Galy is the only one and again I do not see the difference between these 2 players as being a 2nd.

All of this only applies if they get a top 6 player too. If not, I'm not going to sit Kerfoot for Glendenning either. So once again the Leafs would be trading a 2nd for a player that they really don't want to put in the line up.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
If the Leafs don’t want Glendenning, Habs will take him with pleasure
yes fans that dont watch him just see no offense and think any 4th line center can do what glenny does , but theyre wrong . hes a smart , rugged , athletic force all 200' thats always making important plays when opponants have puck . hes a rugged high level football player bringing his brand of compete to the nhl

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
yes fans that dont watch him just see no offense and think any 4th line center can do what glenny does , but theyre wrong . hes a smart , rugged , athletic force all 200' thats always making important plays when opponants have puck . hes a rugged high level football player bringing his brand of compete to the nhl

I agree, he’s the typical 4th liner that I want in my team but I don’t think I would give a 2nd pick but I wouldn’t have a problem sending a 3rd

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
It’s not low balling, he just doesn’t have a lot of value.
How do u figure he has little value?? He is the best faceoff man in the league and kills penalties. Teams arent wanted him for offense, lol. A good team will be willing to give up a 2nd which would be close to a 3rd rd pick whne the draft rolls around. So maybe the Wings look for a 2nd rd pick in '22" Draft or a 3rd and a decent prospect??

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
How do u figure he has little value?? He is the best faceoff man in the league and kills penalties. Teams arent wanted him for offense, lol. A good team will be willing to give up a 2nd which would be close to a 3rd rd pick whne the draft rolls around. So maybe the Wings look for a 2nd rd pick in '22" Draft or a 3rd and a decent prospect??
He’s not that good. Like I’ve stated earlier - anything more than a 3rd is an overpay.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

And the fact that the 4th line hasnt been a problem.

There's just no incentive here for the Leafs to make a move like this. It takes up cap and gives up assets for a non-need

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad