Prospect Info: Lukas Vejdemo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think it's weird we don't go to Sweden more often considering Rockstrom is the guy who drafted ****ing Lidstrom and Lundqvist.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I meant, he is a bit unknown. He has had lack of exposure because he didn't play much SHL at all. The thing is, with a 3rd round pick, there are still solid prospects from CHL and ,etc. You don't pick a sleeper pick in 3rd round. Beginning 4th,5th rounds maybe. Last time we did that was with Collberg or Avtsin, you can see how it turned out.

Problem is : he's the best guy on their list, and how do they know that he's not as high on other teams lists? Why take a CHL guy if you think he's inferior?

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Only thing left to know...and that's kinda a big thing....how does he react to the physical aspect of the game.
He didn't seem to be too afraid to crash the net, (You can kind of see at 1:48 ish) so that's a good sign. He's already 6'2" so I think that he's got the size and he seems to have the skills to maybe put everything together.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Problem is : he's the best guy on their list, and how do they know that he's not as high on other teams lists? Why take a CHL guy if you think he's inferior?

Exactly. People think the CSS/THN/McKenzie/etc lists are the "standard" and if you deviate from that, you're taking a risk or a gamble. It's not like that all. Teams pick the players they like the most, period. It doesn't matter to Timmins if Vejdemo was a consensus 6th rounder, if he's the top-rated guy on their list when they pick, they take him.

For example, the Rangers scout said they had Ryan Gropp as their sixth highest rated forward in the entire draft and said they would have taken him in the first round if they had a pick (they picked him 41st). Maybe it's just lip service but that's how teams draft. They have their guy and they pick him. They don't care what the general opinion is.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Exactly. People think the CSS/THN/McKenzie/etc lists are the "standard" and if you deviate from that, you're taking a risk or a gamble. It's not like that all. Teams pick the players they like the most, period. It doesn't matter to Timmins if Vejdemo was a consensus 6th rounder, if he's the top-rated guy on their list when they pick, they take him.

For example, the Rangers scout said they had Ryan Gropp as their sixth highest rated forward in the entire draft and said they would have taken him in the first round if they had a pick (they picked him 41st). Maybe it's just lip service but that's how teams draft. They have their guy and they pick him. They don't care what the general opinion is.

Still there's a bit of a difference between 20 picks early and 120 picks early. Though I think the main thing that hurt Vejdemo's ranking was he was a 19 year old playing in Europe.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Still there's a bit of a difference between 20 picks early and 120 picks early. Though I think the main thing that hurt Vejdemo's ranking was he was a 19 year old playing in Europe.

There's not really a difference at all. All that's going to matter is if they were right or not. But that goes for any pick, whether they pick THN's highest ranked guy or go miles off the board.

The only difference is that fans sitting at home feel like the team made the "right choice" if they took a guy they know or a guy who scouting services generally liked. As 2012's "dream draft" is showing us, that doesn't really matter that much in the end.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Only thing left to know...and that's kinda a big thing....how does he react to the physical aspect of the game.

There's that and how he plays against better competition but still...he seems to have it all.

There's not really a difference at all. All that's going to matter is if they were right or not. But that goes for any pick, whether they pick THN's highest ranked guy or go miles off the board.

The only difference is that fans sitting at home feel like the team made the "right choice" if they took a guy they know or a guy who scouting services generally liked. As 2012's "dream draft" is showing us, that doesn't really matter that much in the end.

yeah I really don't care about the whole 'where the kid's taken' thing. I understand it but look at this kid for crying out loud! With no 4th rounder do you really want to take a gamble? He looks better than some of the 1st rounders I saw.

Last edited by a moderator:

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The real question is what do we do with him now...

Do we leave his development in the hand of a SEL team as a rookie in a limited role or do we expose him to Lefebvre's "teaching"?

Can he come over? Should he come over?

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
yeah I really don't care about the whole 'where the kid's taken' thing. I understand it but look at this kid for crying out loud! With no 4th rounder do you really want to take a gamble? He looks better than some of the 1st rounders I saw.

He's gonna be the best center in the draft!

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

Do we leave his development in the hand of a SEL team as a rookie in a limited role or do we expose him to Lefebvre's "teaching"?

He can come over to the AHL and most likely won't for this upcoming season. I could maybe see him come to camp for 2016-17, like Collberg did a couple years ago. If he gets cut he can be returned to the SHL, or perhaps the AHL but I don't think that's likely as long as he's under contract over there.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I'd be happy to see him at the development camp, but the SHL is the best spot for him right now. Get acclimated to playing in a pro league, then head over to NA the year after if he does well.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Watching the highlight vid hopefully we got a sleeper pick here, totally fine with going for a low risk/high reward late in the 3rd round especially with a couple of solid picks to end the day

Important question is what will his nickname be?

Obviously can't go with VD

Maybe VJ, Veggie, Demo, Mo, Demon, Lord Vejdemo (he who shall not be named)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Apparently, he has 2 years left on his contract with Djurgardens. That club has a very solid development record, so I'm happy about that. By that time, he'll be 21. If he ever makes the Habs, it's in 3-5 years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I am pretty sure he would have been available in 5th round if he's that unknown. Usually, prospects with good ceiling from J20 or U20 league gets drafted later. A good exemple was trunev

Well not having a 4th, might as well take him in the 3rd if they really liked him. With only 5 picks in the draft, you want to make sure you get the guy you want with your first two picks cause after that it's a wild guess as to what will still be on board by the 5th round.

I meant, he is a bit unknown. He has had lack of exposure because he didn't play much SHL at all. The thing is, with a 3rd round pick, there are still solid prospects from CHL and ,etc. You don't pick a sleeper pick in 3rd round. Beginning 4th,5th rounds maybe. Last time we did that was with Collberg or Avtsin, you can see how it turned out.

Collberg was a high 2nd round pick, again though when you have only 2 picks in the top 130 you have to approach things differently imo.

I'd have to look up the date for when you can bring over a signed player since Sweden is a part of the current PTA between the NHL and IIHF. I would be shocked and against bringing him to the AHL since we have a large incoming rookie class and he spent most of last season in the junior league.

He can come over to the AHL and most likely won't for this upcoming season. I could maybe see him come to camp for 2016-17, like Collberg did a couple years ago. If he gets cut he can be returned to the SHL, or perhaps the AHL but I don't think that's likely as long as he's under contract over there.

yea he's under contract for the next 2 years, will be interesting to see how they handle him. I would just assume they leave him over there but I guess we'll see. The only thing about loaning him back to his SHL club is that he would count against the 50 contract limit after next season (so his contract would slid next season if he were signed by us and loaned back to the SHL or in the AHL, but for the 2016-2017 season his contract wouldn't slid because he won't be junior aged anymore)

I'd be happy to see him at the development camp, but the SHL is the best spot for him right now. Get acclimated to playing in a pro league, then head over to NA the year after if he does well.

Assuming he makes the team full time, I know they had a lot of young players last year and lost a few guys (I believe Mikael Samuelsson and Joakim Eriksson are gone, 2 of their top 4 scorers last year)

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Some awesome moves in there...

This guy looks like a young Geno Malkin in that video. Quick and accurate wrist shot. Skates very well for a big man. That drop pass was great. Looks like he can see plays before it happens.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The year older thing matters a lot less with Swedes because of how little playtime the under twenties usually get in the SEL, when they can even play there. His level of success in the J20 super elite shows he's on par with the very best Swedish prospects in his age group . Next year will be the real test for him and we could end up very pleased with what we got.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Wtf? Collberg wasn't a sleeper pick, he slipped through the first round. Avtsin was a 4th round draft pick. Crisp was maybe a 3rd round ''sleeper pick.'' I mean, if Timmins has him ranked there, what's the problem? We haven't seen any game footage yet, but the dude can obviously play.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I just hope we're not drafting based on size. We need more speed and skill. After the Sekac-DSP trade we're an average skating team.

I'll be rooting for Bournival, Hudon, Andrighetto, Thomas and even Dumont at camp this year. We're a better team with these guys in the lineup. They're fast, young, hard working, and can do things on the forecheck and with the puck.

Dumont is not fast

Malreg

May 12, 2011
Grant McCagg ‏@grantmccagg 8m8 minutes ago
Timmins on Vejdmo - "Our Swedish scout was never so excited about a pick like this since Lidstrom….he was scouting in Detroit then."

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Grant McCagg ‏@grantmccagg 8m8 minutes ago
Timmins on Vejdmo - "Our Swedish scout was never so excited about a pick like this since Lidstrom….he was scouting in Detroit then."

The more I hear about Vejdemo, the more I get excited. It really looks like a matter of him not getting exposure and him falling because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad