Prospect Info: Lukas Rousek, LW, 160th overall, 2019 -- Recalled 3/6

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So if as a 20-year-old draftee the Sabres hold his rights for 2 years, and he's under contract for 2 years... uhhh... (counts on fingers)... couldn't he just go FA after Sparta?
We can sign him before that maybe? Unless I'm wrong they can maybe sign him next offseason and send him back to Europe? I am sure if there is a desire on both sides they can make it work.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
So if as a 20-year-old draftee the Sabres hold his rights for 2 years, and he's under contract for 2 years... uhhh... (counts on fingers)... couldn't he just go FA after Sparta?
He might have to re-enter the draft if he doesn't sign.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
We can sign him before that maybe? Unless I'm wrong they can maybe sign him next offseason and send him back to Europe? I am sure if there is a desire on both sides they can make it work.
This would likely happen if he's done enough for the Sabres to feel it warranted. Either way it isn't something to worry about given the pick position. If he pans out to the level that some NHL team wants to sign him in two years, whether us or another (if even possible), that makes it a good pick, imo.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
From Jankowski's interview, Musil advocated hard for Rousek. It's the first time they've drafted a Czech playing in a Czech league in his draft year since Jan Hejda in 2003. (I don't count Karabacek or Budik since they were Czechs playing in the Q and the 'dub respectively.)

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
1) No it wasn't. If he had gone undrafted, he would have remained draft eligible next year. 2) Draft eligibility works differently for players who have been drafted before than players who have never been drafted.

You missed 3)...@dotcommunism is always right on CBA stuff.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Teams hold the rights of CHL players for 2 years.
They hold the rights of NCAA players until they leave school. (1-5 years)
They hold the rights of European players for even longer, I think 6-7 years.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
This is an oversimplification, and not entirely accurate. The age of a player when drafted can impact how long his rights are held. A European player who is drafted at 18 or 19 has his rights held for 4 years while a European player drafted at 20 or older has his rights held for 2 years. However, players drafted out of the KHL have their rights held indefinitely due to the lack of a transfer agreement with the NHL.

Reactions: brian_griffin

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
1) No it wasn't. If he had gone undrafted, he would have remained draft eligible next year. 2) Draft eligibility works differently for players who have been drafted before than players who have never been drafted.
By the way, I would like to provide a clarification. If Rousek does not sign with the Sabres, he will not re-enter the draft and will become an unrestricted free agent. Players drafted from clubs outside of North America automatically become free agents when the exclusive rights of the drafting team expire, and they do not re-enter the draft.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006

Artem Kryukov's rights are still spiraling in space and won't expire until 2105.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I feel like everytime I see one of Baker's Tweets lately, it's about Rousek.

Goals in three straight. Up to 11 on the year.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad