TSN: Lucic training like mad man

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Good for him and the Bruins. I don't think he makes the Olympic team. Just isn't fast enough nor skilled enough.

Guys like Nash / Stall, Toews and Thornton who has size and plenty of speed will be the power forwards. I think Benn gets the nod on the wings from physicality point of view.

Nash, Stall, Towes, and Thornton are not power forwards. None of them are physically aggressive.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
if the Olympics were held in NHL sized rinks he might have a good sniff, but Europe very doubtful. That's ok, keep him rested and healthy and ready for that final turn next season

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Some interesting thoughts from Justin Bourne on playing on international rinks:

First off, the hockey is a lot more possession-based.

There’s a huge misconception that because there’s more ice, you need faster players. I think you need better decision-makers with the puck. On the small sheet, you need players with great instincts who get the puck to the right areas without much deliberation. On Olympic ice, it can be alarming when you get the puck and realize you have a full second or two to figure out just what you want to do. “Paralysis by analysis†can be a thing, so composed, smart players will take you further than spazzes. I like Taylor Hall a lot as a hockey player. Like, a ton. …Not sure he’d be right for an Olympic team.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/...-playing-on-olympic-and-nhl-sized-ice-sheets/

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Lucic isn't good or fast enough for an Olympic team on the bigger sheet....
Teams really clog up the middle on the bigger ice surface. They don't go chasing players into the corners or to the outside. What Lucic has is the ability to bulldoze past defenders and get traffic to the net.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

LOL at Nash, Staal and Thornton being PFs :laugh:

Remember Lucic owning Nash several times last season AND Nash crying about Lucic

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Good thing. There was some friendly sniping of Lucic getting fat, to his wife, by their neighbors at a charity auction last lockout.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
LOL at Nash, Staal and Thornton being PFs :laugh:

Remember Lucic owning Nash several times last season AND Nash crying about Lucic

Indeed.

Where's that guy that used to lecture me a/b Nash? Wanted to deal Lucic for a bag of pucks.

Loved the NY series where Lucic sent Nash cowering to the bench after Nash set a pick. McGuire said Lucic told him to drop the gloves and shut up.

Loved it.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Indeed.

Where's that guy that used to lecture me a/b Nash? Wanted to deal Lucic for a bag of pucks.

Loved the NY series where Lucic sent Nash cowering to the bench after Nash set a pick. McGuire said Lucic told him to drop the gloves and shut up.

Loved it.

...and this is why I love Looch.

He probably won't make the cut for the team, unfortunately, because while we all certainly see the benefits of what he brings to the ice, something tells me that whoever is responsible ultimately for making the cuts isn't going to see it that way.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
...and this is why I love Looch.

He probably won't make the cut for the team, unfortunately, because while we all certainly see the benefits of what he brings to the ice, something tells me that whoever is responsible ultimately for making the cuts isn't going to see it that way.

If he could duplicate his play against Toronto late in game 7,I'd pick him over Crosby.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Even if he doesn't make it, it must be an honor to play for your home country, and if he can gain some speed while keeping his toughness it is a win/win for the Bruins and of course Canada.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Even if he doesn't make it, it must be an honor to play for your home country, and if he can gain some speed while keeping his toughness it is a win/win for the Bruins and of course Canada.

Sure would be great, again my opinion is if the Olympics were in NA, he would have a far better chance as his game would translate better to the smaller ice. Who knows though, far stranger has happened.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Let's be honest. canada easliy has the best and deepest forward group. It's not like they are really sacrificing talent by putting Lucic on the team.

Maybe team Canada feels that Lucic can bring something no other player on this roster can bring. He would have a clear and defined role. Not saying he will make the team,but if he has 15goals by Xmas....it would be hard not to pick the nastiest power forward in the league.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
When do they finalize the roster ?

At least Looch was invited to try out. I would love to see him make it.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
It'll be nice to see him come into the season in shape this time, but I don't think he could've had a better playoffs.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
When do they finalize the roster ?

At least Looch was invited to try out. I would love to see him make it.

Pretty sure Bergy snuck into the roster really late into the year in 2009. Like, late December.

Probably around then. A lot depends on how they do for the first couple of months. You'll probably get a narrowed down list in the next couple of months.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
On the video titled 'The Depth Chart' the Tsn Panel breaks down who they think will make Team Canada. Towards the end Darren Dreger touches on Lucic and how he has heard he is training like a man man to cut down weight and become faster.

It seems like Lucic really wants to make the 2014 team and this extra motivation/conditioning means nothing but good things for the Bruins season. I still think he is an underdog but this kind of motivation will make Lucic a very, very scary player this season.

Huzzah!

No one can possibly bring what Lucic brought in his first years, and this past post-season, throughout an 82 game schedule. Even so, and especially relative to the shortened lock out off-season "time off" last season, this is rockin' good news.

Looch the Destroyer! And not just with the fisticuffs anymore. Our Milan is learning. :):handclap::):yo:

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Lucic is pretty awful in his own end with the puck....maybe he would do better if he had an extra second to think about it...Will be shocked if he makes it...if he does good on him...

He is improving in that area though, able to pick it up on the boards and make quick short pass to get it out.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Pretty sure Bergy snuck into the roster really late into the year in 2009. Like, late December.

Probably around then. A lot depends on how they do for the first couple of months. You'll probably get a narrowed down list in the next couple of months.

There are still fans who say Bergeron didn't deserve his spot on the Olympic team and still say he shouldn't be on the current roster. I would take Bergeron easily for what he brings to the face off dot (he owns most players) and the PK (he is one of the best PKers if not the best among top 6 forwards who kill penalties).

Bergeron on the roster IMO is a no brainer. Looch I think knows he has to 100% earn his spot and he clearly wants to play for team Canada. Sad think is Looch much like the other Canadians fighting for roster spots would have an automatic bid to the Olympics for any other country. Canada's talent is just so deep really good players get left behind.

3rdMangHigh

Jul 22, 2009
Calgary
I wonder if the larger sheet of ice would allow Looch to get up to top speed a little more often. We all know he is not the most explosive guy ( first few steps ) but when he does really get moving you're not stopping him. ( Emelin )

I also think he has done a great job of channelling the rage in the last couple seasons, not plowing into every scrum with a target on every opponents face.

Add in a great shot and underrated passing skills and I think we have the making of a great Olypian ( fingers crossed of course! )

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I hope he makes the team so he can plow Miller and give Murica a chance to actually win gold.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
There are still fans who say Bergeron didn't deserve his spot on the Olympic team and still say he shouldn't be on the current roster. I would take Bergeron easily for what he brings to the face off dot (he owns most players) and the PK (he is one of the best PKers if not the best among top 6 forwards who kill penalties).

Bergeron on the roster IMO is a no brainer. Looch I think knows he has to 100% earn his spot and he clearly wants to play for team Canada. Sad think is Looch much like the other Canadians fighting for roster spots would have an automatic bid to the Olympics for any other country. Canada's talent is just so deep really good players get left behind.

Bergeron is indeed a no-brainer, especially on the larger playing surface, where hockey intelligence counts more than brawn. There are always going to be idiot fans.

I'd love to see Lucic make it, just for his sake. I know he'd be over the moon if he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad