Proposal: Lucic to LA

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Plus the buy out of 1.887 so close to 4.2 million . I rather have Lucic at 6 and and high end prospect at 1 million

Assuming the prospect can jump into the NHL in their rookie year, which isn’t a sure thing - especially for Edmonton.

But it’s a fair criticism. The only players I can thing of on the Kings that would likely excel with McDavid (at least in terms of footspeed) are Kempe or Wagner.

But adding Toffoli on your second line for cheaper than Lucic on your fourth could be a positive.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Too many "ifs" for Edmonton to give up the 8th pick. I think you'll agree that McDavid would probably be better with someone who is a much better skater than Toffoli.

Could be true. Like I mentioned, it’s possible that Edmonton retaining less could even out the trade. Or maybe none of it works; I was just trying to think outside the box.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Assuming the prospect can jump into the NHL in their rookie year, which isn’t a sure thing - especially for Edmonton.

But it’s a fair criticism. The only players I can thing of on the Kings that would likely excel with McDavid (at least in terms of footspeed) are Kempe or Wagner.

But adding Toffoli on your second line for cheaper than Lucic on your fourth could be a positive.

Lucic is consider crap because he had 2 down years ...really 1.5 years . Yet Toffoli had the same 1.5 down years and some how he can rebound . I get it that who ever we draft is probably going back to JR or should be .but all things consider Toffoli is replacing someone like Chia in the top 6 so we still need to replace a bottom 6 player and on top of that if the player we draft makes the NHL we aren't saving enough money to make it worth it .

Lucic and the 8th OA >>> Toffoli and 1/2 of Lucic buy out .

Reactions: TFHockey

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
I would do looch at 50% for a 5th rnd pick or Looch and 8th overall for something more enticing than Toffoli. As much as I want the cap space for the oilers I would much rather move Sekera and or Russell for assets than pay a ridiculous premium to move Looch.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Lucic is consider crap because he had 2 down years ...really 1.5 years . Yet Toffoli had the same 1.5 down years and some how he can rebound . I get it that who ever we draft is probably going back to JR or should be .but all things consider Toffoli is replacing someone like Chia in the top 6 so we still need to replace a bottom 6 player and on top of that if the player we draft makes the NHL we aren't saving enough money to make it worth it .

Lucic and the 8th OA >>> Toffoli and 1/2 of Lucic buy out .

I’m not saying Toffoli was great this past season, but comparing the two players shows a pretty huge difference:

2016-17
Lucic: 82 games, 23 goals, 50 points, -3
Toffoli: 63 games, 16 goals, 34 points, +6

2017-18
Lucic: 82 games, 10 goals, 34 points, -12
Toffoli: 82 games, 24 goals, 47 points, +9

2018-19
Lucic: 79 games, 6 goals, 20 points, -9,
Toffoli: 82 games, 13 goals, 34 points, -16

Lucic has been on a steady, steep decline. For what it’s worth, Los Angeles scored 17% fewer goals in 2018-19 (199) than in 2017-18 (237), so Toffoli is equal parts at fault for and a byproduct of that drop. Edmonton scored the same number of goals (229) over the past two seasons. Toffoli is definitely a complementary piece - by no means am I saying he drives the play - but he’s a good complementary piece.

But we’re talking about Lucic here. Kyle Clifford outscored him. Brendan Leipsic nearly outscored him in only 45 games. Hell, Toffoli’s bad year matched Lucic’s half good, half bad 2017-18. Toffoli is a big improvement over Lucic no matter how you slice it.

So then would Lucic with no retention and the 8th overall be worth Toffoli at 50% retained?

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Makes me ill to think Oilers would have to move their 8th OV pick to move Lucic. I'd rather bite the bullet for a year and pay his signing bonus next year then move him.

Even worse is giving a division rival that 1st rd pick...ewww!

The kings would be sitting pretty with 3 1st rd picks from this draft. Please do not do this. :eek:

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
This might be crazy, but hear me out.

To Edmonton: Tyler Toffoli @ 50% retained.
To Los Angeles: 8th overall, Milan Lucic at 50% retained with the intention of buying him out.

Lucic’s buyout would be pretty bad... for one team to incur. But if you split up that buyout between two teams, that becomes much more manageable. This would be the total cap hit for the buyout for both Edmonton and LA:

2019-20: $1,812,500
2020-21: $2,812,500
2021-22: $2,062,500
2022-23: $2,812,500
2023-24: $312,500
2024-25: $312,500
2025-26: $312,500

The last three years hardly matter, while the first four are basically a third line type of player.

With Edmonton trying to win now, gaining Toffoli at half price would be a big positive. Meanwhile, the rebuilding Kings need all the pieces they can get, and being able to get two of Turcotte / Byram / Dach / Cozens / Caufield / Podkolzin / Zegras would be a huge win for LA’s cupboards. These pieces likely don’t help Edmonton right away, but the addition of Toffoli and subtraction of Lucic would.

Or maybe I’m way off base here and deserve your hate and ridicule.
Huge pass.

Why in the world do we give up Toffoli and retain and get Lucic retain for the 8th overall pick?Anyone taking Lucic alone is getting a first rounder or a great asset.Let the Oilers keep Lucic and let the Kings keep Toffoli.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This might be crazy, but hear me out.

To Edmonton: Tyler Toffoli @ 50% retained.
To Los Angeles: 8th overall, Milan Lucic at 50% retained with the intention of buying him out.

Lucic’s buyout would be pretty bad... for one team to incur. But if you split up that buyout between two teams, that becomes much more manageable. This would be the total cap hit for the buyout for both Edmonton and LA:

2019-20: $1,812,500
2020-21: $2,812,500
2021-22: $2,062,500
2022-23: $2,812,500
2023-24: $312,500
2024-25: $312,500
2025-26: $312,500

The last three years hardly matter, while the first four are basically a third line type of player.

With Edmonton trying to win now, gaining Toffoli at half price would be a big positive. Meanwhile, the rebuilding Kings need all the pieces they can get, and being able to get two of Turcotte / Byram / Dach / Cozens / Caufield / Podkolzin / Zegras would be a huge win for LA’s cupboards. These pieces likely don’t help Edmonton right away, but the addition of Toffoli and subtraction of Lucic would.

Or maybe I’m way off base here and deserve your hate and ridicule.

If we are retaining 50% we are not giving up the 8th overall

Lucic and the 8th for a 7th.

For me we do not give up a top ten and keep 50%

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
If we are retaining 50% we are not giving up the 8th overall

Lucic and the 8th for a 7th.

For me we do not give up a top ten and keep 50%

Not sure if you read the entire post, but the point isn’t retaining 50% of his total cap, but instead, splitting the buyout so that the cap hit is reasonable for both teams. I really think that’s the only way to get out of Lucic’s contract. If you look at the numbers, they are actually pretty manageable.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Huge pass.

Why in the world do we give up Toffoli and retain and get Lucic retain for the 8th overall pick?Anyone taking Lucic alone is getting a first rounder or a great asset.Let the Oilers keep Lucic and let the Kings keep Toffoli.

Toffoli is an unrestricted free agent. Do the Kings re-sign him? He’s 27, and the Kings are looking to get younger. Maybe we trade him at the deadline to a contender for what is likely to be a late first? The Kings won’t be contending for the next two seasons at least, and the last three seasons (if Edmonton does not retain at all) would only be $625,000. It’s not ideal, but I’d much rather have the 8th overall. And obviously I’m sure Edmonton doesn’t want to trade the 8th, but this proposal gives both teams a lot of flexibility.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I would do looch at 50% for a 5th rnd pick or Looch and 8th overall for something more enticing than Toffoli. As much as I want the cap space for the oilers I would much rather move Sekera and or Russell for assets than pay a ridiculous premium to move Looch.

I would move Lucic 50% retained for 2 2nd . 1 in 2020 and 1 in 2022 . I never said this years as I would assume a team would want Lucic bonus paid first . I would do an unprotected 1st in 2021 for Lucic at 33.3 % retained . We open up 4 million of cap space and don't have extra years because of a buy out

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I would move Lucic 50% retained for 2 2nd . 1 in 2020 and 1 in 2022 . I never said this years as I would assume a team would want Lucic bonus paid first . I would do an unprotected 1st in 2021 for Lucic at 33.3 % retained . We open up 4 million of cap space and don't have extra years because of a buy out
Well i''m sure every Oiler fan would like that but that not whats offered and i don't see any team offering this so your want is just that a want.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not sure if you read the entire post, but the point isn’t retaining 50% of his total cap, but instead, splitting the buyout so that the cap hit is reasonable for both teams. I really think that’s the only way to get out of Lucic’s contract. If you look at the numbers, they are actually pretty manageable.

I read. But if we are giving number 8 up we are not retaining. We are better off buying him out and taking the hit ourselves and keeping a prime asset.

While not the deepest draft in the world the Oilers will get a good player at 8. Saving only 3 mill is not worth number 8. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd..rounder. not 8th overall

Reactions: kilowatt

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Well i''m sure every Oiler fan would like that but that not whats offered and i don't see any team offering this so your want is just that a want.

There’s 30 teams in the NHL to offer it to. It’s not even remotely unreasonable that some team out there would be willing to pay Lucic 2 million a year in exchange for getting a couple 2nd round picks. I’m not even sure you’d need to offer them both of the picks to get the trade through. Lucic at 2 million isn’t a bad player at all

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
There’s 30 teams in the NHL to offer it to. It’s not even remotely unreasonable that some team out there would be willing to pay Lucic 2 million a year in exchange for getting a couple 2nd round picks. I’m not even sure you’d need to offer them both of the picks to get the trade through. Lucic at 2 million isn’t a bad player at all
agree to disagree
i dont see that at all

Reactions: deaderhead28

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009

Where did anyone ever say Lucic at $2 million? 50% retention with no buyout would be $3 million for the next four years, including a no-movement clause and expansion draft protection.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Where did anyone ever say Lucic at $2 million? 50% retention with no buyout would be $3 million for the next four years, including a no-movement clause and expansion draft protection.

Lucic’s salary is 4 million against a 6 million caphit. Therefore, the team that gets him at 50% would be paying him 2 million

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Huge pass.

What's the value of taking Lucic? Retained 50%, 25%, unretained. When would you take him and with what?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Lucic is one of those contracts a team only gets away from via buyout. Roster him, bench him, or buy him out. No team will want him without maximum retention and that’s even a tricky sell.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Toffoli is an unrestricted free agent. Do the Kings re-sign him? He’s 27, and the Kings are looking to get younger. Maybe we trade him at the deadline to a contender for what is likely to be a late first? The Kings won’t be contending for the next two seasons at least, and the last three seasons (if Edmonton does not retain at all) would only be $625,000. It’s not ideal, but I’d much rather have the 8th overall. And obviously I’m sure Edmonton doesn’t want to trade the 8th, but this proposal gives both teams a lot of flexibility.
I just dont see the reason to take on Lucic plus give them Toffoli for the 8th overall pick.No thanks.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
What's the value of taking Lucic? Retained 50%, 25%, unretained. When would you take him and with what?
I don't what Lucic on the Kings or that contact retain.I wouldnt give the Oilers Toffoli plus take on Lucic for the 8 overall pick.Taking Lucic alone is the 8th overall pick with that contact and years left.No thanks respectfully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad