Value of: Lucic plus 2019 1st at the draft

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
>Makes a proposal he knows Oilers fans won't like.

>Says Oilers fans can't express their opinions.

Anyone see what's wrong with this?

Yes, what's wrong with this is that you ignored what was laid out as the guidelines of the post and expressed your opinion anyway even though it was made clear that the OP wasn't looking for those opinions and didn't want them to sidetrack the discussion he proposed.

Reactions: Homesick

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I would take Lucic for Edmontons 1st in a heart beat.

We have a bunch of player who does not need protections...

Petry, Gallagher, Danault

We can easily protect everyone we want.

when you're in trouble you buy out Alzner.

I wouldn't at all. I would swing for the fences and go after Panarin. Lucic's 6M caphit for 4 more years is unacceptable. Having to protect him in the expansion draft is bad enough but he's painfully slow and barely a 4th line forward because of the lack of foot speed. That is unacceptable.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lots of teams have worst players than Lucic. Ducks got Corey Perry for 8.6 million for the next 2 full seasons. Whom barely played 29 games this season as well being utterly horrid.

That doesn’t mean I’m shipping off Corey Perry with our first just to get that Contract off our books.

Lucic is a steal compared to Corey Perry’s contract in the foreseeable future.
Perry's deal expires in 2 seasons. Lucic is on the books for 4 more.
Perry is overpaid, around $3-$3.5 million. Should be closer to $5 million given his production drop. How much Lucic overpaid? Is he a $3 million/$2 million/$1.5 million player?

Overpaid by around the same amount? Possibly more. But, on the books longer. Perry's deal is up when the ED occurs, thus he doesn't need to be protected.

I don't think any team wants him. Lucic isn't going to leave his NMC behind as he doesn't want to ever be sent to the AHL.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Perry's deal expires in 2 seasons. Lucic is on the books for 4 more.
Perry is overpaid, around $3-$3.5 million. Should be closer to $5 million given his production drop. How much Lucic overpaid? Is he a $3 million/$2 million/$1.5 million player?

Overpaid by around the same amount? Possibly more. But, on the books longer. Perry's deal is up when the ED occurs, thus he doesn't need to be protected.

I don't think any team wants him. Lucic isn't going to leave his NMC behind as he doesn't want to ever be sent to the AHL.

I get your point regarding Expansion draft and protection. Other than that. Lucic and Perry are almost equal regarding overpayment. My point was being, that lots of teams have grossly overpaid players. It’s not just Edmonton with Lucic, which a lot of the posts in this thread deem it to be.

Westsyde

Jan 7, 2019
I'll paint the picture with an example:

Loui Eriksson + Quinton Hughes for nothing.

Nucks fans stay out of it, no one gives a **** whether you would do it or not. Its not about you, even though it is a Canucks proposal.

There’s no guarantee at all that this first round pick will get you a player that’s as good as Quinton Hughes. Plus eriksson’s contract (as bad as it is) isn’t as bad as lucic.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why not just buy him out? Why waste assets?
See the cap friendly buyout calculator. Since most of his contract is in Signing Bonuses, the cap space a buyout opens is minimal. He's at $6 million now, a buyout means that the Oilers take a dead cap hit of $3.6, $5.6, $4.1, $5.6 million then 4 years at $625K.

So, they will have $2.4, $400K, $1.9, and $400K in those years to find a replacement for Lucic with the cap savings from his buyout. Not going to get much help with that cap space.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
See the cap friendly buyout calculator. Since most of his contract is in Signing Bonuses, the cap space a buyout opens is minimal. He's at $6 million now, a buyout means that the Oilers take a dead cap hit of $3.6, $5.6, $4.1, $5.6 million then 4 years at $625K.

So, they will have $2.4, $400K, $1.9, and $400K in those years to find a replacement for Lucic with the cap savings from his buyout. Not going to get much help with that cap space.
Oh my gawd! I had no idea he was such a burden on us! What the heck are we gonna do? We gotta get rid of this log. Or just keep him, no way to buy him out..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh my gawd! I had no idea he was such a burden on us! What the heck are we gonna do? We gotta get rid of this log. Or just keep him, no way to buy him out..
That's $19 million in total dead cap for the 4 years remaining on his deal, plus the 4 extra years of $625K in deal. Average of almost $5 million in dead cap per year, but the worst part is that it goes up and down. They would be better just burying him in the AHL and saving $1 million per in cap space to find a replacement. But, they can't do that because he has a NMC.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
That's $19 million in total dead cap for the 4 years remaining on his deal, plus the 4 extra years of $625K in deal. Average of almost $5 million in dead cap per year, but the worst part is that it goes up and down. They would be better just burying him in the AHL and saving $1 million per in cap space to find a replacement. But, they can't do that because he has a NMC.
Bergevin offered him more money :tvhappy:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

We have guys making 700k in the AHL that would be a significant step up on Lucic as an everyday player.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
LA shouldn't ever go after Lucic. Too old and too slow. But if they did it would have to come with Bouchard or the 2019 1st + Pool Party with at least 25% retention on Lucic.
There's no way we give up either Bouchard or our pick to dump Looch. Let alone retain a quarter of his cap hit lol. Go home, your drunk.

Reactions: Llamamoto

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
LA shouldn't ever go after Lucic. Too old and too slow. But if they did it would have to come with Bouchard or the 2019 1st + Pool Party with at least 25% retention on Lucic.

I obviously don’t want Lucic on LA’s roster. No team wants him on the roster. But if a guy like Byram is available come the Oilers’ first round pick, then I can stomach a six million dollar man in Ontario.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I obviously don’t want Lucic on LA’s roster. No team wants him on the roster. But if a guy like Byram is available come the Oilers’ first round pick, then I can stomach a six million dollar man in Ontario.
His nmc would prevent a demotion to the A. He won’t waive his ntc/nmc unless he is able to maintain it on his new team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal is about the only team who can take on Lucic. Has to be a team with tremendous caproom and Lucic may waive to get back with his former coach. I can't see Oilers touching Alzner.

If the right player is there with Oilers pick I would consider "buying" their pick by taking on Lucic. We could play him on the 4th line, he would chip in 10 goals and give us toughness. After the Byron beatdown and Gallagher getting run against Tom Wilson last game.

I'm OK with taking on Lucic but only if the deal makes sense for the Habs and what is offered on top of Lucic. Lucic on the 4th line (or 3rd if he earns it) for the next two seasons and then we buy him out before the expansion draft. If they don't take Alzner, the additions on top of Lucic are not small. Doubt the Oilers would mortgage the future to get rid of Lucic. I think they buy him out before the next expansion draft to avoid the NMC issue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad