Proposal: Lucic for Ryan

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
So you are telling me Lucic goes into a slump yet plays all 82 games and scores the same as an injured Ryan got in 62 gets a pass???

Both contracts are terrible....But give me the shorter one that is likely to end on LTIR ...

If Lucic puts up similar numbers next year like he did this year... we can talk about Ryan being better.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
U would be correct,he has played one season of 81 games..In the past 5 he scored 56 points,the next highest games played was in the 70,s in which he scored 54 points.....Ryan has had 8 serious hand injuries in the last 2 seasons...

So why would we trade a player that scores the same in less games,has less term and is far more likely to be LTIRED sooner???
Why would any team want a player who has had 8 serious hand injuries in the last 2 seasons instead of a player who has had one bad season in his career?

Reactions: TrentonF

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Looks at games played. Sees that Ryan can't stay healthy. Concludes that this hurts his value more.
Not whenever you are looking at it from the standpoint that both contracts are albatrosses ... Ryan has a 10 team NTC ,often injured less term and scores more if/when he is healthy....There are just so many more options than what you guys can do with Lucic...Whom has a full NMC ,plays 82 games and has declined to scoring less than what an injured Ryan has this season

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Huge pass. Ryan brings nothing more to the table with the same production as Lucic's worst season.
Safer bet that Lucic drops some pounds this off season and rebounds than Ryan getting bionic hands

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Why would any team want a player who has had 8 serious hand injuries in the last 2 seasons instead of a player who has had one bad season in his career?
Hummm i wonder why....Both contracts blow,Ottawa just has more options to deal with their bad contract

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Huge pass. Ryan brings nothing more to the table with the same production as Lucic's worst season.
Safer bet that Lucic drops some pounds this off season and rebounds than Ryan getting bionic hands
In 20 less games.....

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Can understand why Oilers fans are hesitant. Personally, I wouldn't pull the trigger on this one either. The extra year for Lucic hurts, and I'm still optimistic that Ryan will be able to be LTIR'ed before his deal is up.

Reactions: topshelf15

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not whenever you are looking at it from the standpoint that both contracts are albatrosses ... Ryan has a 10 team NTC ,often injured less term and scores more if/when he is healthy....There are just so many more options than what you guys can do with Lucic...Whom has a full NMC ,plays 82 games and has declined to scoring less than what an injured Ryan has this season
One bad season doesn't mean a guy is done. 8 hand surgeries though....

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
And Edmonton's player actually has a chance of rebounding.
But Ryan doesnt???Did you not see how he played in last seasons playoffs??Healthy Ryan is a better player,again both contracts are terribad...But Ryan has less term ,is the better player has a 10 NTC opposed to a full NMC which means any rebound season will make him easier to move ,and with this latest string of injury is more likely to end up being on LTIR sooner....

Lucic you guys are stuck with for better or worse

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Don't think this has been brought up yet, but I'm assuming Lucic needs to protected for the next round of expansion? If so that's just another reason Ottawa doesn't make this move.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Who freakin cares? games aren't won by a ppg average if you din't know. At least Lucic brings some toughness to the game whereas Ryan is absolutely useless without the puck
Yep he sure was useless last spring .......Face it Ryan is the better player,when both are healthy Ryan brings far more skill and production

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yep he sure was useless last spring .......Face it Ryan is the better player,when both are healthy Ryan brings far more skill and production
More skill, okay, he's a better puck handler sure. But Bobby Ryan has literally never shown "far more" production than Lucic.

Why can you use his hot streak last spring as the benchmark, but you dismiss Lucic's typical benchmark (ie, every season but this one)?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
More skill, okay, he's a better puck handler sure. But Bobby Ryan has literally never shown "far more" production than Lucic.

Why can you use his hot streak last spring as the benchmark, but you dismiss Lucic's typical benchmark (ie, every season but this one)?
Because you Oil fans have gone overboard on how much worse that Ryan ,s contract is by comparison...When in fact it Lucic,s that is the worse of the two

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Both are overpaid. One is going to be overpaid for fewer years.

My guess is the Sens would say no just for that reason.

It's not awful though. When on his game, Lucic brings an element that very few NHL players are capable of bringing. If used correctly, he's pretty effective. It's tough to gauge value when both of these guys are arguably at their lowest value right now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Because you Oil fans have gone overboard on how much worse that Ryan ,s contract is by comparison...When in fact it Lucic,s that is the worse of the two
No it isn't. Lucic hasn't earned his salary for one year. Ryan hasn't earned his...well, since he signed it really. You didn't answer my question either. Why is Ryan's benchmark a one month period at which he has played better than at any other point in the past 5 years, and Lucic's benchmark is the one season where he hasn't earned his salary and wasn't a key part to a good team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No it isn't. Lucic hasn't earned his salary for one year. Ryan hasn't earned his...well, since he signed it really.
Ryan his first 3 seasons averaged 55 points per year,his 3 healthiest ones....Again iam not deluded into thinking Ryan,s contract is a great one...But no way in hell would i trade him for the longer less flexible one

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ryan his first 3 seasons averaged 55 points per year,his 3 healthiest ones....Again iam not deluded into thinking Ryan,s contract is a great one...But no way in hell would i trade him for the longer less flexible one
Ryan wasn't signed to produce 55 points. His cap hit on the day it was signed would have been a stretch if he hit 30 goals and 65 points a year like he was expected to.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ryan wasn't signed to produce 55 points. His cap hit on the day it was signed would have been a stretch if he hit 30 goals and 65 points a year like he was expected to.
Ryan was being paid 5.5 mil when we traded for him...To facilitate him resigning with a smaller market team with less favorable tax situation,everybody knew we would have to overpay a little...Ryan healthy and producing at the norm is at best a 6 million dollar player....Again not the issue between the two players,both are worthless due to their contracts....Ryan,s is just more favorable

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I’d prefer to keep Ryan at the very least he can make plays. Lucic has never had the greatest puck skills but there’s been a noticeable decline in that department. Of course that was always never a big reason for his success but it’s gotten to a point where it’s an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad