Proposal: Lucic for Abdelkader

Lucic for Abdelkader ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I would consider it if Edmonton sweetened the deal to account for the $1.75M difference in cap damage

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
LW Milan Lucic
- 6.0M "anchor" contract until 2023.
- 30-year-old
- Played 214 games during last 3 seasons, scored 38+58 = 96 points
- 15:51 AVG Ice-Time, -24 on these 3 years
- 0.45 points/game

W Justin Abdelkader
- 4.25M "anchor" contract until 2023.
- 31-year-old
- Played 190 games during last 3 seasons, scored 25+44 = 69 points
- 16:27 AVG Ice-time, -39 on these 3 years
- 0.36 points per game

Would you swap these physical players 1-on-1?

This would help Oilers cap situation, Detroit has a lot of free cap space for becoming years.

There is a poll included, where you can answer 2 options.
Abdelkader has out scored Lucic the last 2 years, why add the third season?

If you can't sneak his 50 pts season on regular fans you certainly won't be able to do it with an NHL GM:biglaugh:

Lucic and his buyout proof contract is untradeable for any 1 on 1 deal in the league, I'm not sure even adding a 1st with him would garner a taker given the fact he has to be protected in the expansion draft.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Anyways...not sure why the Wings take the extra cap without a cost from the Oilers? I can't see why any team would take Lucic without a decent sweetener.

I hope that Lucic agrees to waive his NMC for the expansion draft so at least we won't have to protect him.. maybe you add a 2nd rounder (hopefully that would be the cost) and Seattle takes him. There are not many teams that Lucic would waive for but maybe Seattle, because it is close to his hometown of Vancouver.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I get that, Ryan is more effective, but not at 7 milion plus? Edmonton is tight on the cap so adding more on a long term contract for a middling player that's being dramatically over paid is probably a bad move.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'd throw in a 2nd for this swap

Abdelkader doesn't have a NMC

And Detroit won't need to care about Lucic's NMC at expansion because they don't really have much Expansion eligible talent.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Imo, adding 2 millions for next 4 years is not a problem. There will be lot of cap space during these years, and the contract will end when the new kid core will need their raises.

I've done those calculations and know this ****.

Also, NMCs tend to disappear, if the player once agreed to void it.

Then your calculations are far too conservative. I've done those calculations, too, and under all circumstances (save for everything going wrong with all of our current and future prospects), Detroit needs all the cap space they can get in 2021-22, even if they coordinate a dump of Abdelkader/Nielsen for futures in the Seattle expansion draft.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Even then, it's not worth it.

Lucic's NMC essentially forces a buyout in the summer of 2021, or else he has to be protected in the expansion draft. So if a team acquired Lucic this coming offseason, they would literally pay $16,666,667 ($10,000,000 in salary, $6,666,667 for the buyout) for two years of service.

Abdelkader on the other hand, won't need to be protected, he makes almost $2 million less per year and a buyout will cost a fraction of the cost because of the bonus structure.

/thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad