- 15:51 AVG Ice-Time, -24 on these 3 years
- 0.45 points/game

W Justin Abdelkader
- 4.25M "anchor" contract until 2023.
- 31-year-old
- Played 190 games during last 3 seasons, scored 25+44 = 69 points
- 16:27 AVG Ice-time, -39 on these 3 years
- 0.36 points per game

Would you swap these physical players 1-on-1?

This would help Oilers cap situation, Detroit has a lot of free cap space for becoming years.

There is a poll included, where you can answer 2 options.

Last edited:

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Dont see any reason for Detroit to do it 1 for 1, and no reason for the Oilers to retain salary since it would make no difference when you add the retention to JAs salary they end up not saving a dime.

If Edmonton wants to clear that additional 2M, they would have to add.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Hard pass, I would hate to see Lucic in a Wings jersey plus the NMC ehhhh!

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
We can talk about it from a fan's perspective. But remember, Abdelkader is an assistant captain. They're not looking to get rid of him just to get rid of him. They like him

Reactions: Adityase

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Milan Lucic:
2017-2018: 34 points in 82 games
2018-2019: 12 points in 50 games

Justin Abdelkader:
2017-2018: 35 points in 75 games
2018-2019: 13 points in 51 games

Sure, Lucic scored better before that but if he can't do it with McDavid anymore, why would it change in Detroit? There's no way we should consider adding his 2 million plus NMC to our team.

Reactions: goal1228

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sure, Lucic scored better before that but if he can't do it with McDavid anymore, why would it change in Detroit? There's no way we should consider adding his 2 million plus NMC to our team.

Imo, adding 2 millions for next 4 years is not a problem. There will be lot of cap space during these years, and the contract will end when the new kid core will need their raises.

I've done those calculations and know this shit.

Also, NMCs tend to disappear, if the player once agreed to void it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
LW Milan Lucic
- 6.0M "anchor" contract until 2023.
- 30-year-old
- Played 214 games during last 3 seasons, scored 38+58 = 96 points
- 15:51 AVG Ice-Time, -24 on these 3 years
- 0.45 points/game

W Justin Abdelkader
- 4.25M "anchor" contract until 2023.
- 31-year-old
- Played 190 games during last 3 seasons, scored 25+44 = 69 points
- 16:27 AVG Ice-time, -39 on these 3 years
- 0.36 points per game

Would you swap these physical players 1-on-1?

This would help Oilers cap situation, Detroit has a lot of free cap space for becoming years.

There is a poll included, where you can answer 2 options.

Why are we taking on more money and the worse player? I hate Lucic, but am also not a huge Abby fan, but Lucic not only does lots of stupid crap out there, he appears to be slowing down at a rapid rate, even more-so than Abdelkader. Only way this trade makes sense, is if Lucic's contract was 2 years shorter.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Imo, adding 2 millions for next 4 years is not a problem. There will be lot of cap space during these years, and the contract will end when the new kid core will need their raises.

I've done those calculations and know this ****.

Yes, but what incentive do we/Wings have in this? To help out the Oilers with their cap issues? If the Oilers add a decent sized sweetener then maybe, and even then it is hard to get too excited as we would then have that no good butt munch Lucic on our team. Lucic had better line mates than Abby and produced a little more, but this year without McDavid to pad his stats he is doing worse than Abby, who also isn't doing good, but he at least can move a little.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012

I've done those calculations and know this ****.

If he agrees to void it, sure. In that case we're still adding 2 million dollars to our cap just to make our team slower. Why is this a good idea? Their contracts end at the same time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yes, but what incentive do we/Wings have in this? To help out the Oilers with their cap issues? If the Oilers add a decent sized sweetener then maybe, and even then it is hard to get too excited as we would then have that no good butt munch Lucic on our team. Lucic had better line mates than Abby and produced a little more, but this year without McDavid to pad his stats he is doing worse than Abby, who also isn't doing good, but he at least can move a little.

Yeah. Help them with cap issues.

And get an incentive about it.

Red Wings fans seem to hate this totally, still waiting those Oilers guys to wake up and give their opinions.

I like to discuss, I don't have any fundamental opinions on any direction. This is just interesting case. Abdelkader seems to be the most hated player on our board, and suddenly he became the most loved player in this thread. This is fun to see. :)

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
There is a better chance of me going home with Christina Hendricks tonight than Detroit accepting this deal.

350.png

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
No from Detroit. Abdelkader is cheaper and at least he can skate

This x 2.

No way the Red Wings do this favor for the Oilers without some sort of sweetener coming back along with Lucic.

This trade is also completely unrealistic outside of maybe NHL19. There's probably no chance Abdelkader would waive his full NTC to leave his home team, especially to go to Edmonton...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So Detroit takes on the more expensive contract in Lucic, And ask me again why we would do this?
because it would cost them a protection slot in the expansion draft? or buy him out then and basically pay full price rather than 2/3 because of his signing bonus.... oh wait, those are reasons not to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad