Proposal: Lucic + Bouchard to Vancouver for Eriksson + 10th + ????

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Despite what many think

There is not that much of a difference between lucic and Erickson. Oilers need Bouchard more then waiting 3 to 5 years for whomever they take at 10. From what I have read this is a top 2 draft with a steep drop off at about 5 or 6 depending on what report you are reading

Bouchard answers a huge question for the oilers

Last edited:
Reactions: thadd and TFHockey

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Trade offer ..McDavid 8th oa and pool party
for
Eriksson @ 50 % and a 5th round pick

Oh I know nucks fans want more for the great erikkson, we know how much of a stud player he is . Are the Oilers asking too much if so we will add RNHas a sweetener

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
As a non Oiler fan, from my perspective Bouchard is the 2nd most valuable asset they have after McDavid, so he shouldn't be traded.

Not saying he's worth the World, but he's what Edmonton desperately needs and there's no reason to trade him.

Even more valuable than Drai @ 8.5M per year?
Bouchard has to do quite a bit to have me value him over Drai.
He's going to at least have to consistently put up 70+ points considering he's feeding Drai and McDavid. I'm hoping for 60+.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure how I feel about this . I do know Bouchard was projected to go higher then 10th not that it matters . I don’t think there’s a big enough difference between Lucic and Eriksson to make that trade . Bouchard is the type of defence man that could fix our pp . Fair offer but base on needs I would pass .

Habs fan and I do admit, this trade makes me think which means the value is close. Eriksson has the better contract vs Lucic but Bouchard is worth more than the 10th. Problem with the Oilers making this trade is they need Bouchard at RD. Lets say they make this trade, who are they going to draft at RD? All the guys in the top 15 rankings on D are LD. Only one I see is Soderstrom?

Eriksson:
- 3 years in term left at $6M AAV
- Signing bonus money in July = $8M
- Actual money to be paid = $13M
- NTC that changes in 20/21 to 15 team no trade list
- More buyout friendly vs Luic's contract

Lucic:
- 4 years in term left at $6M AAV
- Signing bonus money in July = $11.5M
- Actual money to be paid = $19M
- NMC that changes in 21/22 to a NTC/NMC (8 teams he can be traded to)
- Less buyout friendly vs Eriksson's contract

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why not just do Lucic for Eriksson and swap draft positions?

Moving two picks from 8-10 is not enough to bridge the gap between how much worse the Lucic contract is over Eriksson. The 4-10 range picks are similar in value in this next draft so there is not much value difference from 10-8 unless you are very very high on a player and want him bad.

If I was a Oilers fan and the Canucks want to do this, I'd pay for the flight for Lucic to go to Vancouver... if he would waive his NMC. Reduces the bad contract term by one year, actual money paid, and no more NMC.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Lucic is terrible. No one is saying Eriksson has to be included but he and his contract are far less terrible then Lucic and his. If Edmonton is sending Lucic our way then something very valuable is coming back to make up for it. The difference between Bouchard and the 10th isn't even the ballpark when considering the (negative) value of Eriksson versus the overwhelming negative value of Lucic.

Keep Lucic.

Reactions: settinguptheplay

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Lucic is terrible. No one is saying Eriksson has to be included but he and his contract are far less terrible then Lucic and his. If Edmonton is sending Lucic our way then something very valuable is coming back to make up for it. The difference between Bouchard and the 10th isn't even the ballpark when considering the (negative) value of Eriksson versus the overwhelming negative value of Lucic.

Keep Lucic.

Wow there are a lot of Lucic threads lately.

Fans who think they know what he will go for don't actually know anything. Let's just wait and see what happens after July 1st.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Why not just do Lucic for Eriksson and swap draft positions?

$6M extra in actual dollars is worth moving up 2 picks? I'd love to see Benning try to explain that one to the Aqualinis.

After July 1st Eriksson's contract averages $3M per season at a $6M cap hit. Eat $1M of that each season and that's a tradeable contract to some cash conscious team.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
The Bouchard for the 10th part seems superfluous and would be a bad move for Edmonton. If the Canucks want Lucic as a deterrent, why not just ask the Oilers to retain 50% of his cap hit and offer a low draft pick? The Oilers don't want another bad contract in return, they want cap relief. I am reasonably sure Looch would waive his no trade for the purpose of the expansion draft so that shouldn't be big concern.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
What about a 3 way trade. Canucks take on lucic, sens take on Eriksson after his bonuses are paid out (perfect melnyk move, cap floor etc.) and Oilers lose lucic and gain huge cap space. What would Oilers fans add to move looch and not take a stinky contract back? 8th overall worth it then?
Canucks would then have two top 10s in their home draft, could try to package them for #3 or just pick two studs.

Edit: probably a sweetener in there for Ottawa too.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Habs fan and I do admit, this trade makes me think which means the value is close. Eriksson has the better contract vs Lucic but Bouchard is worth more than the 10th. Problem with the Oilers making this trade is they need Bouchard at RD. Lets say they make this trade, who are they going to draft at RD? All the guys in the top 15 rankings on D are LD. Only one I see is Soderstrom?

Eriksson:
- 3 years in term left at $6M AAV
- Signing bonus money in July = $8M
- Actual money to be paid = $13M
- NTC that changes in 20/21 to 15 team no trade list
- More buyout friendly vs Luic's contract

Lucic:
- 4 years in term left at $6M AAV
- Signing bonus money in July = $11.5M
- Actual money to be paid = $19M
- NMC that changes in 21/22 to a NTC/NMC (8 teams he can be traded to)
- Less buyout friendly vs Eriksson's contract

Good summary of the contract differences. Other factors influencing value:
-Lucic physicality
-Eriksson's defensive contribution
-Eriksson has had 3 years of steady 30 pt pace production
-Lucic's production has declined for three straight years

In summary - aside from physicality (which must be balanced against defensive capability in your 3rd or 4th liner), every factor favours Eriksson.

I think the OP trade is probably a fair compensation for these differences, but I bet Vancouver declines to make this trade, giving up their first round pick, on a year when they host the draft.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
-Lucic physicality

In summary - aside from physicality (which must be balanced against defensive capability in your 3rd or 4th liner), every factor favours Eriksson.

I think the OP trade is probably a fair compensation for these differences, but I bet Vancouver declines to make this trade, giving up their first round pick, on a year when they host the draft.

To be honest, I am curious to see how Lucic fits within a deeper top 9 forward group. Yeah, he is slow but I just wonder if there is any remote chance in hell he can rebound on another team? Hard contract to move though. Eriksson is also a disappointment but his contract is better in years left and buyout cap hits.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Canucks need to plan out how much they think Hughes / Boeser and Pettersson will be paid and when they will be paid.
Eriksson tied up for 3 more year ..but Lucic is tied up for 4 more years. If in that 4th year, they could potentially be in cap trouble due to the timing of Hughes / Pettersson's contract then DON'T swap them.
if all the big money deals are planned for 5 years later then yes, you can swap them if the owners pockets are deep enough since there isn't a cap issue.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Yeah, I'll just echo the previous statements. Looch for Loui will likely happen at one point in the future, but the Bouchard/10th pick swap is needless.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I'd rather have Lucic than Eriksson, even though they're both shit. But there is no way you are getting Bouchard out of Edmonton. We've needed a D man like that for yearssssssssssssssssssss

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Oilers simply cannot do this. Bouchard is tracking extremely well. He shone in the AHL playoffs and is exactly what their blue line has been missing forever. Button’s opinion aside, I think he goes higher than 10th in a draft do-over.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
What if we *didn’t* give the Oilers Eriksson?

Lucic and Bouchard come to Vancouver, and Edmonton clears 6 million in cap space just like that, and uses that newly freed up 6 million to get back to where they were two short years ago (2nd round).

The responsibility of getting rid of Eriksson (to another team) falls squarely on our (Canucks’) shoulders.

But - we get Bouchard out of it.

Would something like that be more beneficial to both the Canucks and Oilers?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Wow there are a lot of Lucic threads lately.

Fans who think they know what he will go for don't actually know anything. Let's just wait and see what happens after July 1st.

Fans think Lucic has value too. I'd rather see the Oilers pay to move him elsewhere, July 1st or otherwise.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
-Lucic physicality

Eriksson hasn’t hit 30 points for 3 years. Lucic has done it 2 of the last 3. Lucic has 104 points in that time to Eriksson’s 76. Saying Eriksson has had steady production while Lucic has declined isn’t exactly a fair summary. Lucic has declined to Eriksson level, not well below like you’re implying

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What if we *didn’t* give the Oilers Eriksson?

Lucic and Bouchard come to Vancouver, and Edmonton clears 6 million in cap space just like that, and uses that newly freed up 6 million to get back to where they were two short years ago (2nd round).

The responsibility of getting rid of Eriksson (to another team) falls squarely on our (Canucks’) shoulders.

But - we get Bouchard out of it.

Would something like that be more beneficial to both the Canucks and Oilers?
No losing talent and hoping we can find that talent on the UFA market is a recipe for disaster. We aren't moving Bouchard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad