Proposal: Lucic + Bouchard to Vancouver for Eriksson + 10th + ????

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Lucic + Bouchard to Vancouver for Eriksson + 10th + ????

The Canucks

1) Are in dire need of a good young RD prospect that has a strong likelihood of being a top pairing guy one day

2) Need the Kevin Costner (Lucic) to their Whitney Houstons (Pettersson and Hughes) so to speak. Absolutely no one will take liberties with the Canucks’ star players with a motivated Lucic at the helm.

The Oilers

1) Need to rid themselves of an absolutely terrible contract so that they can have a shot of making an immediate playoff push while they still have a young McDavid. Eriksson gives them that opportunity since LE’s contract is moveable (especially after next season when 31 of his 36 million will have been paid out to him and he’d only be owed 5 million in real dollars)

I think it’s a fair deal for both sides.

Oilers fans and management obviously won’t like giving up Bouchard, but they really do need to get rid of Lucic. Not only does Lucic not want to be there and is a cap drain, but his NMC will prevent him from being exposed in the Expansion draft.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
You gotta imagine Lucic being willing to waive his NMC if he is still in Oilers by the time expansion hits. Going to Seattle would be the best opportunity he is going to get at this stage in his career. Why wouldn't he give himself the chance?

Eriksson is soft, and certainly seems entitled. Not willing to put his body on the line for his team. There's really nothing that suggests Eriksson would be better for EDM than Lucic, except having to pay for him 1 less year. But we gotta have either player 3 years first. In that case Id pick Lucic

Reactions: nturn06

Cquant

May 14, 2015
I'd say yes from the Canucks perspective, so you'd have to think Oilers fans would not be happy with this proposal.

10th overall for last years 10th overall picked prospect. You usually pay for an extra year of development. Definitely covered by the Eriksson and Lucic difference if not more. Bouchard plays a premium position that happens to be the Canucks biggest need. But the emotional attachment will be hard to part with. On the other hand it gives the Oilers a chance to draft Draisaitls fellow countryman.

Yeah, so Oilers say no. But I like the spin on this. It's creative.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Swapping Lucic for Eriksson doesn't offer Edmonton any more cap flexibility. It's still a 6mil cap hit, and it's why there isn't a list of suitors knocking at Vancouvers door right now regarding Eriksson.

The only way you get cap flexibility is if you have both traded @50%, making both 3mil cap hits. (Which is what I think is the best way to approach this trade).

As for Bouchard vs. the 10th, it is close value wise, considering that's where he was drafted last year. But for the same reason you want him is why Edmonton wouldn't give him up. The counter would be the 8th.

As said, I think the best way to approach this is for both to be traded @50%. Thus the question is what's the cost of potentially* having Lucic at 3 mil for 1 extra season. Imo that's a mid-round pick or maybe the swap of 1st this year, not much more. Definitely not a blue chip/high end prospect.

*I say "potentially" as with his play style, he could easily pull a Zetterberg and sit on LTIR for his last season or two. Same goes for Eriksson and his concussion history.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Not sure how I feel about this . I do know Bouchard was projected to go higher then 10th not that it matters . I don’t think there’s a big enough difference between Lucic and Eriksson to make that trade . Bouchard is the type of defence man that could fix our pp . Fair offer but base on needs I would pass .

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Swapping Lucic for Eriksson doesn't offer Edmonton any more cap flexibility. It's still a 6mil cap hit, and it's why there isn't a list of suitors knocking at Vancouvers door right now regarding Eriksson.

The only way you get cap flexibility is if you have both traded @50%, making both 3mil cap hits. (Which is what I think is the best way to approach this trade).

As for Bouchard vs. the 10th, it is close value wise, considering that's where he was drafted last year. But for the same reason you want him is why Edmonton wouldn't give him up. The counter would be the 8th.

As said, I think the best way is for both to be traded @50%. Thus the question is what's the cost of potentially* having Lucic at 3 mil for 1 extra season. Imo that's a mid-round pick or maybe the swap of 1st this year, not much more. Definitely not a blue chip/high end prospect.

*I say "potentially" as with his play style, he could easily pull a Zetterberg and sit on LTIR for his last season or two. Same goes for Eriksson and his concussion history.

That's fair, but Vancouver is still paying off Luongo till 2021/2022. We should only have one retention spot available, and using it on Eriksson complicates things quite hard for the future. It's a neat idea, but it has the potential to be super risky. Vancouver very likely passes on that one.

As for the other statement. Suppose the retainment slot wasn't an issue. If we use the Terevainen trade for reference. It was Teuvo and Bickell for a 2nd and a 3rd. Teuvo was valued highly at the time and was no longer really a prospect. Not much risk there either. Bickell's contract was for 4 million for one year.
I think that this trade highlights that although 3-4 million should only be worth a 2nd/3rd round pick, no one intentionally would want to pick up that much money for a mediocre return. I imagine it's hard to sell to the owner. This approach is easier to sell. Pay for someone with higher potential but give up a high pick as well. Since Benning is under pressure, I can't see him doing a trade like this for a smaller pick. Not to mention, if you look at Benning's trade history, he prefers not like to acquire picks.

I think your trade scenario, although quite innovative, wouldn't pass through.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Pass. Lucic is a bum!

So is Eriksson. Everyone already knows that Lucic sucks and is overpaid. That's why you're getting a blue-chip prospect coming back.

I wouldn't do it from an Oilers perspective. There isn't a RHD in the entire draft that is better than Bouchard.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Not a chance. From an offensive perspective, Bouchard’s skillset is the perfect compliment to McDavid. He’s got the ability to make a stretch pass reminiscent of Kaberle, while his play on the PP resembles John Carlson. Plenty of work left to do on the defensive side, but this kid will put up 60+ points every year once he’s a full time NHLer. Call me crazy, but I think he’s the 3rd most valuable piece on our team after the big 2.

bertty

Jun 6, 2017
I do not like this from time perespective. Oilers need help now and Bouchard is one years closer to the NHL than 10th pick. There also can be chance to deal 8th + 10th+ for some good RHD but only one that comes to my mind is Spurgeon and I do not like that idea.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No way Bouchard is on the table in a trade that gets rid of a useless contract and gives us nothing great in return that can help us out now.

Bouchard is quite possibly the best d-man Edmonton has drafted since Paul Coffey. Have no expectations of him being the next Paul Coffey, but unless something horrible happens to him I expect him to be a solid top 4 d-man at 5 on 5 and a great PP QB.

Reactions: TFHockey

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
As a non Oiler fan, from my perspective Bouchard is the 2nd most valuable asset they have after McDavid, so he shouldn't be traded.

Not saying he's worth the World, but he's what Edmonton desperately needs and there's no reason to trade him.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
That's fair, but Vancouver is still paying off Luongo till 2021/2022. We should only have one retention spot available, and using it on Eriksson complicates things quite hard for the future. It's a neat idea, but it has the potential to be super risky. Vancouver very likely passes on that one.

As for the other statement. Suppose the retainment slot wasn't an issue. If we use the Terevainen trade for reference. It was Teuvo and Bickell for a 2nd and a 3rd. Teuvo was valued highly at the time and was no longer really a prospect. Not much risk there either. Bickell's contract was for 4 million for one year.
I think that this trade highlights that although 3-4 million should only be worth a 2nd/3rd round pick, no one intentionally would want to pick up that much money for a mediocre return. I imagine it's hard to sell to the owner. This approach is easier to sell. Pay for someone with higher potential but give up a high pick as well. Since Benning is under pressure, I can't see him doing a trade like this for a smaller pick. Not to mention, if you look at Benning's trade history, he prefers not like to acquire picks.

I think your trade scenario, although quite innovative, wouldn't pass through.

The Bickel transaction is an interesting comparison, though there are a few differences. 4 mil a couple years ago is a far more significant cap hit than what 3mil in 4 years from now will be. The other aspect is Chicago was in cap hell and needed to make a move. Neither Edmonton or Vancouver are needing to make this move for cap purposes. Rather it's getting rid of a open malcontent in Vancouver and likely a closet one in Edmonton.

The retainment slots is a concern I hadn't thought of. Though looking at Vancouver's cap situation, I don't see anyone else that would risk needing retainment to trade over the next 3 seasons, let alone two different players. So I don't think it's a major concern. (but one that should be considered none the less)

Ultimately though, I don't think either team will do much to convince the other on the move.

It's going to come down to both thinking that the guy they're bringing in would would be more beneficial to team that the guy leaving.

So Edmonton would believe that Eriksson could cover the defensive winger need, and bounce back under Tippett; and Vancouver thinking that Lucic could be an effective deterrent for protecting the young guns, while playing a Torres-like role in the bottom 6.

If that's not the train of thought for both teams, than this trade won't happen. Basically I don't think either are looking to make a premium by taking on a worse asset. If Holland or Benning play that card, the other will walk away.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Oilers say no . They don't have the timeline to wait for a draft pick over Bouchard atm

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
You gotta imagine Lucic being willing to waive his NMC if he is still in Oilers by the time expansion hits. Going to Seattle would be the best opportunity he is going to get at this stage in his career. Why wouldn't he give himself the chance?

And why would Seattle pick him?

Yannickg

May 8, 2019

Eriksson is soft, and certainly seems entitled. Not willing to put his body on the line for his team. There's really nothing that suggests Eriksson would be better for EDM than Lucic, except having to pay for him 1 less year. But we gotta have either player 3 years first. In that case Id pick Lucic
Yeah you’re right nobody come knocking on the Canucks door for Ericksson same for the Oilers. But we all agree the trade will probably happen and it’s just a trade of bad contracts (both players need a change of scenery). The only thing Canucks and Oilers fan cannot agree it’s what is the sweetner too compensate for Lucic:1) extra year(6mil) , 2) nmc , 3) and we have to be honest Ericksson is slightly the better players, not by much but still.
In another tread i suggest: Lucic,Pullijarvi and 8oa for Ericksson and 10oa.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Lucic + Bouchard to Vancouver for Eriksson + 10th + ????

The Canucks

1) Are in dire need of a good young RD prospect that has a strong likelihood of being a top pairing guy one day

2) Need the Kevin Costner (Lucic) to their Whitney Houstons (Pettersson and Hughes) so to speak. Absolutely no one will take liberties with the Canucks’ star players with a motivated Lucic at the helm.

The Oilers

1) Need to rid themselves of an absolutely terrible contract so that they can have a shot of making an immediate playoff push while they still have a young McDavid. Eriksson gives them that opportunity since LE’s contract is moveable (especially after next season when 31 of his 36 million will have been paid out to him and he’d only be owed 5 million in real dollars)

I think it’s a fair deal for both sides.

Oilers fans and management obviously won’t like giving up Bouchard, but they really do need to get rid of Lucic. Not only does Lucic not want to be there and is a cap drain, but his NMC will prevent him from being exposed in the Expansion draft.
i could see that you did some hard thinking to present this, however i really don't see any positive for either team to make this trade.

the biggest heartburn i have is why would both Van and Edm make this trade. it doesn't help and in actuality it hurts more for Edm, loosing the future #1 d-man.

if i was with Edm i will move that d-man if i can get Lucic gone no player coming back that will stall the rebuild.

Last edited:

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
And why would Seattle pick him?

Does it matter? If he waives his NMC he is not a player in need of protection. Think Toby Enström.

I doubt Lucic himself would mind being so much closer to home.

I think Seattle could take Lucic for a sweetener considering the length of contract that will be remaining. Do I think that's the route Holland will go? Not actually, but it's not impossible

Reactions: Yannickg

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
There is no chance Edmonton does this. Would the Canucks trade their top prospect to get rid of Eriksson in a different trade? Think about it.

Reactions: bucks_oil

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't think Nucks fans realize just how bad Lucic is. I don't think the guy has a lot more than 50-70 points left for the rest of his career and even then I'm being generous

Reactions: Grantham

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't think Nucks fans realize just how bad Lucic is. I don't think the guy has a lot more than 50-70 points left for the rest of his career and even then I'm being generous
good point, for me it is the length of his contract with compared to his production and hurting that maneuverability with his value of his contract...... plus is he good enuf suiting up for a line 3.... nah probably more like a line 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad