Lucic (bad deal?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Canucks fan here. Lucic was long rumored to sign with us due to his Vancouver roots and idolizing the Canucks as a kid. I can state with utmost confidence the Canucks dodged a 50 caliber bullet. Prime Lucic was the Boston Bruins days. After went to LA his game dropped dramatically. Part of that was due to playing in the much tougher Western Conference.

I'll bet dollars to donuts this Lucic signing turns into an absolute disaster by the end of year. Signing him to a astronomical contract when other GM's didn't says a lot. The case here with Edmonton is they have to overpay to attract free agents. This has always been the case. Players for one reason or another don't find Edmonton an attractive destination. This can only be offset by big money offers. The drafting of McDavid will help as he's the next Crosby but let's be honest Edmonton got extremely lucky getting that #1 pick.

I would not be shocked if the Oiler's buyout Lucic in 2-3 years. These are the types of contracts that always end up burning your butt. What the Oiler's should have done with the money is target a legitimate top pairing defenseman. And no Larsson is not a #1 d-man. I'm talking about a Shattenkirk or Pernell Karl

So this contract is so bad, but I bet you think the Loui Eriksson contract is fantastic, and how do you target a #1 D man with just money, when's the last time one of those has hit FA.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
So this contract is so bad, but I bet you think the Loui Eriksson contract is fantastic, and how do you target a #1 D man with just money, when's the last time one of those has hit FA.

Suter-regrets-hurt-he-caused-Predators-2F1REG5N-x-large.jpg

wasn't super long ago.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Canucks fan here. Lucic was long rumored to sign with us due to his Vancouver roots and idolizing the Canucks as a kid. I can state with utmost confidence the Canucks dodged a 50 caliber bullet. Prime Lucic was the Boston Bruins days. After went to LA his game dropped dramatically. Part of that was due to playing in the much tougher Western Conference.

2007-08 - Boston Bruins 77gp - 8g - 19a - 27pts
2008-09 - Boston Bruins 72gp - 17g - 25a - 42pts
2009-10 - Boston Bruins 50gp - 9g - 11a - 20pts
2010-11 - Boston Bruins 79gp - 30g - 32a - 62pts
2011-12 - Boston Bruins 81gp - 26g - 35a - 61pts
2012-13 - Boston Bruins 46gp - 7g - 20a - 27pts
2013-14 - Boston Bruins 80gp - 24g - 35a - 59pts
2014-15 - Boston Bruins 81gp - 18g - 26a - 44pts
2015-16 - Los Angeles Kings 81gp - 20g - 35a - 55pts

Turned 28 on June 7th. No injury history. Pretty consistent results.

Now gets to play with McDavid. Cue the threads next year that McDavid's carrying him. :)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
not sure what the upsell is, having a Lucic to protect him is good, that said, I think there are better players that can be slotted to play with Mcdavid. Personally I think 6 million for a second line winger is over priced, but Edmonton needed to make this move.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I mean physical players tend to break down and score significantly less once they hit 30-32 years old. Lucic's contract goes until he's 35 and is buyout proof so putting it that way, it's a bad deal.

That being said, I see no problem with wanting Milan Lucic on your team, I'd want him on my team. So if you want him or any sought after free agent, you have to overpay, that's just how it goes.

A lot of people think he's going to tear it up with McDavid. I don't see it, Lucic was succesful with Anze Kopitar and David Krejci, neither of whom are as explosively fast and quick as Connor McDavid. I don't see Lucic being able to keep up with McDavid.

It's a fine contract now, but it won't be in 5 or 6 years. But again the Oilers had little choice if they wanted him on their team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad