Lucic (bad deal?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Anyone else think the Oilers may signed a horrible deal moving forward?

Now, this has nothing to do with the pre-season game they played because I would never evaluate a veteran in pre-season.

But, the way he was in his last year in Boston and the last 30 games for the Kings last season, you can see that his lack of speed and agility is more noticeable.

Who knows though, he could have a great year for the Oilers but I personally think that deal is going to come back and bite them...it also wouldn't surprise me if he had a Dustin Brown like dip.

Last edited by a moderator:

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Contracts signed on July 1st are, most of the time horrible, in hindsight, whether its too much money or too much terms.

I think Lucic will be ok with Edmonton in the first few years. His last years with Boston, I think management got tired of his antics and he never really fit it L.A. He's got an important role with Edmonton and he really seems to be happy for now.

However, I do expect for him to regress sooner than later and at that time, and the Oilers will need some cap space to resign all their young stars and Lucic's contract will be a burden.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Contracts signed on July 1st are, most of the time horrible, in hindsight, whether its too much money or too much terms.

I think Lucic will be ok with Edmonton in the first few years. His last years with Boston, I think management got tired of his antics and he never really fit it L.A. He's got an important role with Edmonton and he really seems to be happy for now.

However, I do expect for him to regress sooner than later and at that time, and the Oilers will need some cap space to resign all their young stars and Lucic's contract will look be a burden.

Seemed like the perfect fit for LA and their style. Or maybe they already had too much of his player type?

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
I know it really isn't what your point is. But it was one bad game where there was like 4 players who looked good. Plus if he doesn't click with McDavid we've got 2 other centers down the depth chart that can benefit from him even if he's not the fastest skater

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Now, this has nothing to do with the pre-season game they played because I would never evaluate a veteran in pre-season.

But, the way he was in his last year in Boston and the last 30 games for the Kings last season, you can see that his lack of speed and agility is more noticeable.

Who knows though, he could have a great year for the Oilers but I personally think that deal is going to come back and bite them...it also wouldn't surprise me if he had a Dustin Brown like dip.

Like any big contract, it's a risk. However, Edmonton is a team looking to take the next step. If I were Chia, I'd just worry about it later on if/when the time comes. For now, try to win.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Lucic will be fine for 3-4 years I think, I don't think he'll work with McDavid because McDavid is so much faster.

But one thing I saw he struggled with on the Kings was just getting the puck out of the Dzone. Always some weak chip off the boards that the Dmen would keep in.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Long-term contracts handed out July 1st are horrible 99% of the time.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yea, awful deal IMO. He's gonna be a liability in 3-4 years, when the Oilers start to become competitive.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
he looked real slow last night playing with McDavid. Although it is management's apparent plan, I don't see those 2 meshing on a line

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
he looked real slow last night playing with McDavid. Although it is management's apparent plan, I don't see those 2 meshing on a line

:facepalm:

One preseason game. He looked good on the cycle, that line created chance after chance. Come on HF, at least wait until 1 regular season game before these threads?

I'd chirp back, but that's frowned up from us.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
:facepalm:

One preseason game. He looked good on the cycle, that line created chance after chance. Come on HF, at least wait until 1 regular season game before these threads?

I'd chirp back, but that's frowned up from us.

hahaha.. sorry!!!..I figured since a lot of fans from all teams are pencilling in unknown players to be on the opening night roster after 1 good preseason game, id criticize some players after 1 game lol.... im sure as preseason goes on Lucic will start picking up some speed and they will start building chemistry!!

Im a huge fan of lucic and would LOVE to see those 2 build chemistry(I guess that's why im criticizing.. cause I was secretly hoping for them to gel instantly)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
hahaha.. sorry!!!..I figured since a lot of fans from all teams are pencilling in unknown players to be on the opening night roster after 1 good preseason game, id criticize some players after 1 game lol.... im sure as preseason goes on Lucic will start picking up some speed and they will start building chemistry!!

Im a huge fan of lucic and would LOVE to see those 2 build chemistry(I guess that's why im criticizing.. cause I was secretly hoping for them to gel instantly)

McDavid was his usual beast self, he generated chance after chance.

I don't think Lucic was ready for some passes, he probably underestimated how well McDavid processes the game. Lucic was strong on the cycle, that line dominated early.

Can we give Looch a few games first? Or no? The bashing can continue if no.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
McDavid was his usual beast self, he generated chance after chance.

I don't think Lucic was ready for some passes, he probably underestimated how well McDavid processes the game. Lucic was strong on the cycle, that line dominated early.

Can we give Looch a few games first? Or no? The bashing can continue if no.

deal haha

as I said im a huge fan and although many people bashed Oilers signing him to that contract, I was actually very happy for the Oilers and their fans.

Preseason plays tricks on peoples minds on this site!!!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
deal haha

as I said im a huge fan and although many people bashed Oilers signing him to that contract, I was actually very happy for the Oilers and their fans.

Preseason plays tricks on peoples minds on this site!!!

I just don't see a point for a thread?

Lucic looked good on the cycle and forecheck. A couple passes off the mark, that's a chemistry thing that will develop with time. It seems like McDavid wants to play with Lucic. McDavid was full of confidence, he dazzled all night making the VAN crowd "Oooooh and Awwww".

Once he understands how McDavid plays, he'll be the perfect power forward. Besides, McDavid-Pulju is the true pairing down the road with Looch taking care of them. I'm happy with Looch laying hits and controlling the cycle for those two moving forward :).

That line was strong, Eberle hit the post, McDavid could have easily had 3 assists.

Ehhhh, I'll be behaved and won't sling back at OP or his team. Continue the bashing.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Van fan here...one game......hes not going to go crazy running hitting people in game 1 preseason...give him time to see how he fits
Also Mcdavid is like alot of world cup players....20 gms into the season from high intensity WC...most of his oilers will be a few steps behind

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

First of all, it has everything to do with this preseason game because you're posting this the morning after the game and second of all, he was around a PPG the last 30 games of last season so I don't know where you and some others get this idea that he was declining last season. He was poor in the playoffs but so was most of that team.

If last night was any indication, Lucic is going to be a bust in Edmonton but it's impossible to evaluate vets who have roster spots locked up in preseason. They rarely ever go near full speed in preseason.
In any event, I'm resigned to the strong possibility that the last 2-3 years of the contract will be brutal but I don't really care about 4 years from now. Winning time is now and he'll help them a lot in the short term.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
65 points in 100 playoff games and a Cup. He's a good fit for a young Oiler roster that lacks playoff experience. You can complain about the number of years on his contract but its a price you pay to sign a notable free agent these days.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I'm more surprised that almost every Oilers fan seem to think he will fit in with McDavid. That's the worst combination i can think of. He will fit better with Draisaitl or RNH. McDavid needs speed and hands on his wing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm more surprised that almost every Oilers fan seem to think he will fit in with McDavid. That's the worst combination i can think of. He will fit better with Draisaitl or RNH. McDavid needs speed and hands on his wing.

I never liked the idea of him with McDavid. I'd much rather see him with RNH and Pouliot or Maroon with McDavid but Mclellan want to force this combination so what can you do.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
65 points in 100 playoff games and a Cup. He's a good fit for a young Oiler roster that lacks playoff experience. You can complain about the number of years on his contract but its a price you pay to sign a notable free agent these days.

yup... perfect fit for the team

I fully expect his contract to be a pain in the butt in about year 4 or 5, but in that time, the goal is to win a cup and it will all be worth it if they do

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I never liked the idea of him with McDavid. I'd much rather see him with RNH and Pouliot or Maroon with McDavid but Mclellan want to force this combination so what can you do.

im sure that was a major selling point during negotiations when trying to get Lucic. Would be tough to say NO when a team is offering that amount of money/term and a promise to play with the next best player in the world

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW

Yes and no. McDavid-Eberle has worked very well, and Eberle actually is more of a cycle player than a rush player. McDavid does both. Obviously Lucic is a pure cycle player. It will take time for McDavid to not defer to Lucic as the "vet leader" of that line on breakouts and just carry it up himself. Once in the zone and a few games together, will see the benefits.

That said I am not exactly expecting 35 goals out of Lucic. I see 25-25, with lots of room created for the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad