Proposal: Lucic Back to Boston

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
To BOS:
Lucic (NMC) - 4 years until UFA - 6 million AAV

To EDM:

Backes (8 team Trade List) - 2 years until UFA - 6 million AAV

I think a proposal built around Lucic and Backes is realistic and makes sense, both for them and their respective franchises. Of course, each player would have to play ball. And EDM likely adds a bit.

Lucic is having the worst years of his career in Edmonton. He'd return to Boston in a heartbeat for a chance at rekindling that old flame. It's no secret Edmonton wants to move him as he's been a complete bust.

As for Backes, his playing time has been limited. He's often been a healthy scratch. Perhaps he would okay the trade if it meant more playing time, and being on a roster that includes McDavid provides some hope to win that elusive Cup.

EDM does this for obvious reasons. 2 years of Backes is better than 4 years of Lucic.

As for BOS, maybe they have faith that Lucic would return to his old form and be the player they thought Backes was when they signed him.

Last edited:

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Lucic at 50% retained plus puljuarvi for backes and miller, might still need a first from edm. Lucic has 4 more years...Brutal contract and buyout proof. And can’t be dump in minors.

Last edited:

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Boston traded him when they knew he was going to get this kind of a contract, I don't see them wanting to add him to the lineup.

Backes' deal is only for 2 years and if he is still on the team, Lucic would have to be protected in the Seattle draft.

I think that there are too many consequences for Boston to even consider this. Do people really think the Bruins would take on twice the salary, twice the years and have to protect him in the draft where they would inevitably lose a core player to Seattle because Lucic has to be protected?

I doubt this would be considered.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Maybe 1 first rounder top 10 protected. If EDM is really desperate get rid of Lucic’s they might do it.

I would love to see Lucic back with Boston :sarcasm:

Leafs just gave up a 1st to get rid of one year of Marleau, who is more productive than Lucic.

Cost will be more than one 1st.

Reactions: ClinicallyOilered

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Both suck. Lucic is going to suck for 4 more years. Worst contract in the NHL. Buyout proof. Just awful.

Reactions: HBK27

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Only hope to get rid of Lucic is if he agrees to go to a team which doesn't even think about contention and Edmonton gives their 1st and possibly retains some salary. If Marleau's contract is worth a 1st Lucic's definitely is as well. Or Edmonton can retain 50% and somebody might think about it. I mean if Reaves is worth 2.75 mil to someone you can probably talk someone into taking Lucic for 3 and some sweetener.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Lucic is untradable. Edmonton fans are just trying anything to trade him.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
I think it would be much smarter for Boston to trade Backes for.....

......Loui Eriksson. He was so good in Boston. He just needs to get back in the black and yellow and instant 30 goal season!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00