Post-Game Talk: Luca Sbisa has been claimed by the Vegas Golden Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
Wouldn't put Sutter and Gudbranson in the same boat. They might be dedicated pros who work hard ... but they also come across as self-important and carry themselves like stars despite being fringe players. Sbisa actually seemed humble and like a genuinely nice guy, and would easily have been my first choice on the team to sit around and have a beer with.

Oddly, despite how terrible I thought he was here as a player, I'll be cheering for him elsewhere and hope he does well and makes us look bad for our views on him here.

Gudbranson was an extremely popular teammate in Florida. One dumb comment that came across as condescending about Ben Hutton isn't going to change that. He's a character player

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The other sad fact of life with Sbisa, is that if he'd been a 5-6 d-man earning $1.5m a year he'd have been considered fair value, even with some of the brain-cramps.

...Not really his fault that Jimbo ripped up his qualifying offer as an RFA and signed him to a three-year extension at $3.5m per year, then declaring him as a guy who could move into the top-four.....all that did was land him in the fans' doghouse when he couldn't deliver.

He could thrive in Vegas if he plays a depth role and might represent decent value if flipped at the trade deadline.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
jimbo was emotionally attached to sbisa. even now he backs sbisa up by making unsubstantiated claims, about his play. he's made a lot of brutal calls over the years, it would be best to demote this guy to a head scout position or assistant gm. he'll never get a gm job in this league again, just not cut for the job.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
jimbo was emotionally attached to sbisa. even now he backs sbisa up by making unsubstantiated claims, about his play. he's made a lot of brutal calls over the years, it would be best to demote this guy to a head scout position or assistant gm. he'll never get a gm job in this league again, just not cut for the job.

I am just curious, what has he done to justify the Head Scout position? You admit Sbisa was terrible and that Jim was pushing him, so what makes him a good scout?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
He's a questionable pro scout; his record as an amateur scout is much better.

You have to go back to his Buffalo days for it to be much better. Then there is also some question about how much was him, as some of the scouts from there have gone on to much better things. Disastrous in Boston, where their drafting might have been worse than our. Here in Van it has been average. I will ask you what has he actually done?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, we've been through this before.

The notion that you can be laughably incompetent at figuring out which fully-developed NHL players are actually good right now but be some sort of Rain Man at figuring out which teenagers will be good in the NHL 5 years from now is just ... absurd.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
Oh I think he is a weak gm. I just don't see Sbisa being re acquired. Fill out the edges of the roster with free agents on cheap 1 - 2 year deals that can easily be moved. Keep the cap space for dumps + prospects/picks

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it looks like mcphee overestimated the dman market and might be starting to sweat his cap situation, so it might be a good time to call him.

maybe we should get garrison back :sarcasm:

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I am just curious, what has he done to justify the Head Scout position? You admit Sbisa was terrible and that Jim was pushing him, so what makes him a good scout?

There was that video out of him when he worked for Boston. Where he was sitting at a table with scouts and making remarks (Im thinking it was about trading seguin - which worked out great for boston). As well when the Canucks hired him they put out a few videos that were very similar (scouts and managment sitting around discussing players).

He seemed really sharp, confident, and opinionated about scouting players etc. in those videos. Had a cool old school hockey smarts vibe. Stuff that goes wayyy beyond stats and analysis.

He also drafted Ryan Miller.

As well he was Boston's assistant GM (or something like that) in the years before they beat us in 2011. So we was an architect for the team that dismantled ours.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
There was that video out of him when he worked for Boston. Where he was sitting at a table with scouts and making remarks (Im thinking it was about trading seguin - which worked out great for boston). As well when the Canucks hired him they put out a few videos that were very similar (scouts and managment sitting around discussing players).

He seemed really sharp, confident, and opinionated about scouting players etc. in those videos. Had a cool old school hockey smarts vibe. Stuff that goes wayyy beyond stats and analysis.

As well he was Boston's assistant GM (or something like that) in the years before they beat us in 2011. So we was an architect for the team that dismantled ours.

"He scores goals... In the regular season he scores goals."

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
As well he was Boston's assistant GM (or something like that) in the years before they beat us in 2011. So he was an architect for the team that dismantled ours.
Chara & Thomas were both obtained via free agency or trade.

Dave Nonis was seemingly a pretty good assistant GM (or something like that). We all know what happened when he got promoted to the big chair.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
As McPhee is talking about how Vegas took on too many defensemen and too much $$, you have to think they are having second thoughts about Sbisa. How a GM can botch an expansion draft that they had forever to prepare for is beyond me.

I gave McPhee the benefit of the doubt before the selections/trades were announced, but I'm taking that back. Brutal job, in my opinion.

Really liked their draft though.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
To be fair to Sbisa, he did make some improvement last season. He no longer plays the puck like a grenade and have delivered a lot less pizza!

While still not worth 3.5 million dollars, its still an improvement.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
To be fair to Sbisa, he did make some improvement last season. He no longer plays the puck like a grenade and have delivered a lot less pizza!

While still not worth 3.5 million dollars, its still an improvement.

Playing with Tanev helps everyone. Edler looked rock solid with Tanev. Sbisa actually looked like a decent #6 dman with him. Every LHD on the Canucks roster probably wants to be on his pairing, despite the tough assignments.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Then he went and drafted no body with those picks... Look at who they picked. It was such bad drafting I don't even know how one could defend. Especially when they were so good just before. did you also not look to see how that trade ended up? Pretty clear win for Dallas.

Great...

That's one player like 20 years ago...

No he wasn't. He had VERY little to do with the drafted players on that team.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Then he went and drafted no body with those picks... Look at who they picked. It was such bad drafting I don't even know how one could defend. Especially when they were so good just before. did you also not look to see how that trade ended up? Pretty clear win for Dallas.

Great...

That's one player like 20 years ago...

No he wasn't. He had VERY little to do with the drafted players on that team.

Okay i don't know how to break the quotes up in my reply (as you did) - I'll reply in chronological order.

It doesn't matter who won the trade. I think you missed my point. There were cool videos that came out, that showed Jim making decisions in a board room- decisions related to player analysis. They really showed his astuteness and moxie. The canucks were then able to produce and market some really cool videos with Jim, Trevor, and the rest of our management staff. The videos really gave the fans some inside access and brought a lot of credibility and authenticity to this management group.

As for the youtube video you proved my point. Don't pay attention to Brad Pitt's character. Don't think - but look. Look at how cool and knowing the other guys seem. Really old school and cool. That is what Jim is like. Now we have him and he can sit in meetings like the one in moneyball, and make really important tough decisions. You know, like he did for Boston - and they beat us in the cup not too long ago.

Now onto Miller. That one player 20 years ago is still a top goalie in this league. He has a ton of international experience and an illustrious career. he has been a stabilizing force and allowed a lot of our younger players to flourish - while keeping our team competitive and playing for important games in the spring. It's crucial that we get him signed to a multi year deal.

Jim was a big reason to the success in Boston. He has been a winner wherever he has been in his career. He will be a winner here as well. Look - this isn't going to happen overnight. Fans have to be patient.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
He didn't "inherit" a Chara (in his prime) and a Thomas (in his prime) here. That's most of your work done already.

He inherited the Sedins! We are talking about two class individuals who have meant a ton to this city. They donated a lot to Children's hospital by the way. You simply cannot rebuild with them on their roster - we (as fans, an entire city, and an organization) owe them too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad