Low Octane....

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't think there has been a reason to shut down the thread. The outrage hasn't gone too far. Neither have the responses. Maybe we are all too hot and sweaty in this ridiculous summer to fight.

Oh I don't think so either. I meant I was surprised it hasn't escalated to a thread-closing level yet.

Thank you. I think the producer of the show missed a perfect opportunity to explain that while stereotypes exist for a reason they never cover any group 100%. I think the target audience for the show are millennials who aren't outraged and really wish the fellow members of their age cohort would lighten up a little. i.e. the millennials who get the joke :D

Hahaha, yeah. While I firmly believe that the majority of my 'generation' (as nebulous as that is...) is as sane as any generation is, I do get a little distraught to see 'outrage culture' spreading to all corners of the internet it seems. Though I think part of that is also just increased use of the internet and so more voices in the conversation, rather than a rapidly growing trend.

Also, I am generally skeptical of huge generational differences. I really like this economist article for expanding on that point:

http://www.economist.com/news/busin...ralisations-about-younger-workers-myths-about

"Every age group contains introverts and extroverts, high-flyers and low-riders. But they also need to recognise that human commonalities swamp both individual differences and generational variations. The most striking thing about the research data compiled by the likes of CEB and the Centre for Creative Leadership is how much workers of different generations have in common. They want roughly the same things regardless of when they were born: to be given interesting work to do, to be rewarded on the basis of their contributions and to be given the chance to work hard and get ahead."

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Hahaha, yeah. While I firmly believe that the majority of my 'generation' (as nebulous as that is...) is as sane as any generation is, I do get a little distraught to see 'outrage culture' spreading to all corners of the internet it seems. Though I think part of that is also just increased use of the internet and so more voices in the conversation, rather than a rapidly growing trend.

Also, I am generally skeptical of huge generational differences. I really like this economist article for expanding on that point:

Patterns repeat themselves. There is a reason why people are more progressive/liberal in their voting in their youth and become more conservative as they age. A big part of which being having to work for a living to provide and income for themselves wears you down. It's tough to be ideologically driven when you are exhausted after yet another day of work.

"If you aren’t a liberal when you’re young, you have no heart, but if you aren’t a middle-aged conservative, you have no head."

That's a quote that sums it up pretty well. Swap liberal for progressive ... bingo hits the Internet outrage right on the head.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
??

You asked if there is a connection, and then you reply "so what" to the answer?

Seriously?

I don't understand why it's relevant, that's all.

So competitive cheerleading and Octane girls share a few skills. So do beer pong and olympic level table tennis. Doesn't mean that by saying beer pong is largely a silly little game that you are denigrating the skill required to become an Olympic level table tennis player.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's not about whether THEY are happy. I don't judge them at all. The problem is the Oilers promoting what I consider a sexist practice, which in turn stems from a structural problem in our stereotypical view of what boys and girls should do and be.

So are you suggesting that, in the interests of feminism, we tell the independent young women who have the confidence to cheer in large public forums and help the community in a number of ways, that their employers are sexist to employ them?

Sexism is about equality. Equality of rights for all people of all genders. Including the ones who feel like dressing sexy and cheering/dancing. The most sexist thing in this thread is somebody telling everyone else that something these women were doing is sexist.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
So are you suggesting that, in the interests of feminism, we tell the independent young women who have the confidence to cheer in large public forums and help the community in a number of ways, that their employers are sexist to employ them?

Sexism is about equality. Equality of rights for all people of all genders. Including the ones who feel like dressing sexy and cheering/dancing. The most sexist thing in this thread is somebody telling everyone else that something these women were doing is sexist.

Well, yes it is. If 40% of fans are women, where is our "eye candy"?

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Well, yes it is. If 40% of fans are women, where is our "eye candy"?

The players themselves?

Nothing better than shaming any group of people for just doing something they obviously enjoy.

Can't help but wonder how many hospital patients or sick kids complained about sexism when the Octane girls would visit.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
With all that equipment, helmets and sweat? :laugh:

b4e1c237e89e9be598db2b9d6944706c.jpg

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
One of the actual issues with them was the difficulties of being an actual cheer team in a hockey arena, there isnt room or space and all they could do was dance for 1 minute after rolling a carpet onto the ice

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The players themselves?

Nothing better than shaming any group of people for just doing something they obviously enjoy.

Can't help but wonder how many hospital patients or sick kids complained about sexism when the Octane girls would visit.

It's going to be interesting when some young men representing the Oilers are visiting the Stollery and they'll have to explain that they're not Oilers, not prospects, not cheerleaders, but...representatives.

Yeeeeah.

Hope there's plenty of free swag for the sick kids, at least.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Do your wobblies prevent the mosquito hordes from invading? I think I'd drink moonshine and light the bottle on fire if it kept the pests away. Other than that the deck sounds good.

Last edited by a moderator:

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Do your wobblies prevent the mosquito hordes from invading? I think I'd drink moonshine and light the bottle on fire if it kept the pests away. Other than that the deck sounds good.

No unfortunately the mosquitoes started up a few weeks ago with no respect for the wobblies.
Luckily though I was able to make my escape just as they started to appear and one of the best things about this particular mountain lake is the family of bats nearby :)

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines

No unfortunately the mosquitoes started up a few weeks ago with no respect for the wobblies.
Luckily though I was able to make my escape just as they started to appear and one of the best things about this particular mountain lake is the family of bats nearby :)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Skeeters tend to feast and are most active during the dusk hours leading up to nightfall. Once it gets dark, they head into the brush and woods, so we've always tried to stay in during feeding time and then head out and make a fire after the little buggers go to bed. God help you if you stumble into those woods though.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

I have a hard time getting on board with this kind of postmodern mental gymnastics. But whatever.

Everyone has their own line of what they think is appropriate/sexist. Hence why this thread is such a cluster.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I have a hard time getting on board with this kind of postmodern mental gymnastics. But whatever.

Everyone has their own line of what they think is appropriate/sexist. Hence why this thread is such a cluster.

It is interesting how some people thinking calling something sexist should be, in and of itself, an argument ender.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I've found, unscientifically of course, that certain fragrant yet earthy inhalants work rather well for Skeeters.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I actually think I've only had 1 or 2 bites this year. I spray deep woods off when I do the lawn though. We also have Mosquito Barrier that you mix with dish soap, vegetable oil, and water. It's a garlic based liquid that you mix with the other ingredients in a spray bottle and just spray it on your fence, shed, around the patio if you have one, whatever. Just have to keep in mind it has the oil in it.

That **** works really well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad