Low Key Dirty Players

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Example? He's physical and doesn't fight, but I wouldn't say dirty, unless you consider crosschecks and the occasional slash "dirty".
It certainly was not occasional last night when he pretended to be tough continuously starting scrums against the Bergeron, Marchnd, Pastrnak line. A true fake tough guy.

Another classic choice is Subban. Slewfoots as often as Marchand but continuously gets away with it. Loves to throw cheap shots and hide when an opponent comes calling his number. Did it last night again so it wasn't just a Montreal Subban thing.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I'm a Pens fan.

Crosby. Must say I prefer him now he’s dirty

No argument but he's not as bad as Malkin.

Malkin can lose his mind and do stupid, dirty things.

They both put up with more than most so I understand the retaliation and don't personally mind it. Gordie Howe was a hero for stuff like this. I'm not sure why Crosby is a villain for striking back every now and then.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Doesn’t get much attention because the Wings aren’t good anymore, but Howard slashes a lot of guys in the back of the leg in his crease. Has a tempet for sure.

Zetterberg also used to hide tons of stickholding and “subtle interference” in his prime.

Tyler Johnson for Tampa, and Killorn if you count him as under the radar

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Don't think Kesler, Tkachuk, Kadri, Marchand, Subban or Crosby belong in this thread. They get credit.

Malkin and Barkov are great examples.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I agree with Malkin, Zetterberg and Chara but no one can beat Thornton he's numero uno in this category.

It's no surprise that it's mostly good smart players that are able to fool people into thinking that they aren't dirty as hell.

I think if the NHL had mics on the ice that people could freely listen to a lot of these guys would get exposed for the dirty dogs they are.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Ryan Suter. Not dangerously dirty or anything, just good at getting away with lots of small infractions.

This describes every good player ever. You take advantage of every little thing you can get away with. Ive heard so much about the Detroit "subtle interference" bullshit over the years when every team does it. All good players try to draw penalties by grabbing sticks and making it look like theyre being held/hooked, give low-key love taps to guys behind plays, etc. Stuff like that.

Last edited:

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
It certainly was not occasional last night when he pretended to be tough continuously starting scrums against the Bergeron, Marchnd, Pastrnak line. A true fake tough guy.

Another classic choice is Subban. Slewfoots as often as Marchand but continuously gets away with it. Loves to throw cheap shots and hide when an opponent comes calling his number. Did it last night again so it wasn't just a Montreal Subban thing.
Fair opinions, but does not fighting =/= dirtiness, in your opinion? You have to give 63 a little rough-housing back because he's a good player who likes to muck and he can't get to the net for free. But it's totally not worth it to Ekholm to fight Marchand and go off for 5 when 1. they are still missing Ryan Ellis and 2. Marchand is an easy player to bait into doing something stupid in this kind of situation and 3. the team is protecting a lead. You can be a tough, physical, within the rules player like Ekholm without being a McLeod-esque knuckle-dragging fighter every time someone gets a tiny facewash. Also, I can't remember a single slewfoot in Subban's tenure in Nashville (I could be wrong).

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
I’ve noticed Del Zotto likes to interfere with guys and slash them when the refs aren’t looking. He reminds me a bit of prime Bieksa.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Letang is the worst for this kind of stuff. All he does is hack and slash after the whistles and behind the play. Will never drop the gloves, ever. At least guys like Malkin and Landeskog will fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad