NFL: Lovie Smith fired

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Does Nick Caserio follow?

I don't think this would happen, but if I were Young or Stroud, I'd seriously consider telling my agent that I don't want to play for such a clown show.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lovie was never going to get a fair shot to build a program, hiring him was never something you do if you have a long-term vision. But it highlights the fact that two years in a row they didn't get someone they wanted, which bodes well for getting someone they want this time.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Lovie was never going to get a fair shot to build a program, hiring him was never something you do if you have a long-term vision. But it highlights the fact that two years in a row they didn't get someone they wanted, which bodes well for getting someone they want this time.
If it wasn’t for the crazy owner, the Texans could be a nice spot for a coach seeing tons of draft capital and cap space.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
They never wanted to hire them in the 1st place. i think they really wanted McCown but they just couldnt due to his experience. With the Colts hiring Saturday now they might think they can. If they want to take away Gannon instead that works for me.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
No wonder he did the Bears a solid.

No one wanted that job and Lovie only took it after getting canned in Illinois. But I don't blame him for turning down a paycheck.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They never wanted to hire them in the 1st place. i think they really wanted McCown but they just couldnt due to his experience. With the Colts hiring Saturday now they might think they can. If they want to take away Gannon instead that works for me.
Yeah, Irsay fixed that problem.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hopefully like Culley Smith got a handsome payout for His one and done year.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
texans are going to be paying 3 ex-coaches come next season in addition to whoever gets the job next

smith was set up to fail and got axed after one season just like culley before him. what a shitshow of an organization

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
texans are going to be paying 3 ex-coaches come next season in addition to whoever gets the job next

smith was set up to fail and got axed after one season just like culley before him. what a shitshow of an organization
Next coach will be on the cheap, especially if it's McCown.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Next coach will be on the cheap, especially if it's McCown.
mccown would be wise to run away from that job if he hopes to have any sort of a future as a NFL head coach

can't think of a worse destination currently for a rookie HC

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
mccown would be wise to run away from that job if he hopes to have any sort of a future as a NFL head coach

can't think of a worse destination currently for a rookie HC
Someone will do it because coaches are marks for themselves.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Someone will do it because coaches are marks for themselves.
Always believe that when you draft a QB you better be sure about your HC. That he’s going to be the guy you trust to develop the QB DT the next 3 seasons.

Like it was a mistake by the Bears to bring Nagy back last season and trade up to draft Fields and then fire Nagy. Then you go looking for a HC who likes Fields and feels that they can help develop him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Lovie was treated like shit

That team was far more competitive then people thought it would be given its awful lack of talent

That was largely because of his coaching

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Someone will take the job because there are only 32 of them and it is the peak of the profession, but I have a hard time believing they will get any of the in-demand candidates. If they really just want McCown then they are probably fine. Disaster franchise.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Lovie was treated like shit

That team was far more competitive then people thought it would be given its awful lack of talent

That was largely because of his coaching

Mills got worse and their record got worse than it was with Culley last year, they were 30th in pts for and 27th against both years

Lovie did nothing besides stand there and look like Santa

Not saying he should be fired, but he accomplished no more than the guy before him did

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad