Lousy Players with good stats?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Messier was not the best goalscorer of the 3, nor was he the best playmaker. I get that. But in terms of simple "Points", he is very very close to Yzerman. Yzerman is 3, 3, 4, 7, 7, 10, Messier is 2, 3, 5, 5, 7, 10

Looking just at top-10s, perhaps. As I mentioned above I don't have a detailed study on points in particular, but in goals and assists, Sakic and Yzerman have 2, 2, 5, and 7, respectively, seasons where they were not top-10 but were top-20. Messier has 1 and 3. There was a bigger drop off from his great seasons, to his next best ones, compared to those two.

In any case, the Selke was voted on MUCH differently in the 70's and 80's than it was from the early 90's forward. If they voted on the selke in the late 70's and 80's the way they did in the mid 90's, then Trottier would have had more of a monopoly on that trophy and Messier likely would have a few higher finishes

Probably right.

God, the ATD needs you; what are you waiting for??

Hart Voting outside of top 5 generally is meaningless. Maybe not every year, but most of those "7's" and so on are the result of biased butt end last voting. I am very guilty of ignoring this aspect of trophy voting on occasion, but in this case, I am going to address it.

What I mean is, take this year for example:
1986-87
HART: Wayne Gretzky 255 (49-3-1); Ray Bourque 95 (2-24-13); Mike Liut 39 (1-7-13); Mario Lemieux 34 (2-6-6); Doug Gilmour 30 (0-9-3); Dale Hawerchuk 11 (0-2-5); Steve Yzerman 5 (0-1-2); Mark Howe 5 (0-1-2); Ron Francis 3 (0-1-0); Ron Hextall 3 (0-0-3); Mark Messier 3 (0-0-3); Dino Ciccarelli 2 (0-0-2); Kevin Dineen 1 (0-0-1)

Exact numbers of voters was a bit off year by year, but they generally tried to have an equal amount of Journalists voting from each city. Usually around this time, each city had 3 Journalists who got a vote(In this particular year, they only have the records of 2.5 voters per city)

Yzerman managed to catch exactly 3 votes, as did many of these players. Having merely 3 votes out of 53 voters sounds a lot less inspiring than "7th for the Hart" now doesn't it?

In short, I respect the voting record of the players who caught more than a piddling amount of votes, but to use Yzerman's mere 3 butt end votes out of 53 and to call it "7th for the Hart" does not compute with me.

Modern voting is a bit different, as they have far more voters than they used to and you get a better feel from the Hockey world where people stand, but from what I can tell here, the likelyhood that all 3 votes for Messier came from the Edmonton journalists is as likely as all 3 of Yzerman's coming from the Detroit voters.

In the end, only getting 3 votes out of 53 does not = 7th for the Hart to me. It has about as much credibility to me as the year Gretzky received multiple Selke votes.

Depends what years you're talking about. (as you have mentioned)

In recent years with the five-vote system you get a lot more... "accuracy" in the voting. the 10th-place vote-getters have had votes like 0-2-1-0-1, 0-0-2-4-3, 0-0-1-2-5, 0-2-1-6-1, 1-2-3-5-5, and so on. Seeing who came just below that elite tier and was deemed worthy of a few votes is still useful.

Prior to 1996, it gets a little silly after the top-8 or so, and sometimes a lot sooner than 8th, thanks to Hart vote hogs like Wayne and Mario. Still, in the year that you're talking about it says something (not much but something) that they got some 3rd place Hart votes that 600 other NHLers didn't get. And I wouldn't immediately dismiss them as being from their own city's writers. If they're going to be that biased, why stop there? Give them a first place vote.

I would argue that Messier at LW was more deadly than some of the centers or RW's at the time as well. They cannot be discounted outright.

Certainly Messier's 83-84 LW all star selection is worth at least 3rd team C ahead of Pederson that year(Or at least, you can compensate somewhat by giving him a 4 or 5 instead of nothing),

I'm all for being fair in comparisons. It's reasonable to conclude that had he been a center, he'd likely have been a 3rd team all-star in his three best years at LW, based on the names ahead of him. So then the All-Star voting would look like this:

Sakic: 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4.
Yzerman: 1, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5.
Messier: 1, 1, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4.

He's right in the mix, a tad ahead of Steve and a fair amount behind Joe.

There are lots of great reasons to consider it. I just think what I think.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough, but I do agree with you in the end. Shortly after submitting my top-120 for the HOH project I started to question why I had Messier ahead of those guys at all, and the more I researched the more I started to think it was valid. If I had the chance to do it again, I would still rate him higher. He just doesn't have the edges on them in all the areas you said that he did.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Fair points. A couple things:

- I don't have the season by season sheet handy but I assume Sakic and Yzerman weren't at their best in their last 7 seasons, either. If we remove those years, could they possibly end up more ahead of Messier? Or would you just be chopping off smaller pluses?

- Messier played until he was 43 so if anything you may want to knock off 3-4 years for an even comparison to those two guys.

- I thought adjusted +/- accounts for higher scoring eras?

Sakic and Yzerman were still plus players almost to the end, even if they weren't at their best. Sakic was -7 in his final year, Yzerman -1. That's the extent of their late-career minuses.

I'd basically rather evaluate Messier as if he had retired after the 1997 season, because he wasn't helping his team after that. I think it's mostly because he was playing in the role of a #1 centre in Vancouver, with 23 minutes a game, and he wasn't good enough for that at that point in his career. He did better after he returned to New York, as a 2nd/3rd line forward. I'd rather rate him on his good years than on his late career years where he was struggling. I guess you could chop off Yzerman and Sakic's last couple of years, but they were valuable players almost to the end.

Adjusted +/- does account for scoring level. My (poorly worded) point was that Messier and Yzerman were overrated by most hockey fans, not by adjusted +/-.

I'm sure you've seen my goals and assists threads. I would be interested in doing one for points as well, but I would see considerably diminished returns for my work. The top-20 in points is loaded with players who made either the top-20 in goals or assists, or both. Not many of them are guys who did neither. The other downfall would be that assists have not always been handed out at the same rate per goal over the past 100 years, which is the scope of my study. Adjustments would first have to be made or I'd severely undervalue good playmakers who would have ranked higher in total points if more assists were given.

I agree that looking solely at goals or assists can undervalue that rare, extremely balanced player who does neither at an exceptional level but both well. The kind of guy who might finish 23rd in goals, 23rd in assists, but be 18th in points. Or even 9th in goals, 8th in assists, but 5th in total points. That sorta thing. I don't believe that it applies much to this case. If I had done the research on points separately I'd have posted the results too, but I don't think they'd be much different from what we're seeing in goals and assists, for these three particular players. They all have a slight playmaking bias, Messier maybe a bit more than the other two.

Fair enough, I'm not trying to make you do more work for little return. And as you say, it doesn't really apply to this case.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sakic and Yzerman were still plus players almost to the end, even if they weren't at their best. Sakic was -7 in his final year, Yzerman -1. That's the extent of their late-career minuses.

I'd basically rather evaluate Messier as if he had retired after the 1997 season, because he wasn't helping his team after that. I think it's mostly because he was playing in the role of a #1 centre in Vancouver, with 23 minutes a game, and he wasn't good enough for that at that point in his career. He did better after he returned to New York, as a 2nd/3rd line forward. I'd rather rate him on his good years than on his late career years where he was struggling. I guess you could chop off Yzerman and Sakic's last couple of years, but they were valuable players almost to the end.

That's a credit to Sakic and Yzerman, then. ;)

tommygunn

Dec 2, 2008
Being the lousy player he is, Messier playing 25 seasons (26 pro seasons if you include WHA) sure fooled a lot of people for quite a lengthy time.. :sarcasm:

:shakehead

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Are you shaking your head at me? Direct your head shake at someone who said Messier was lousy.

I mentioned Messier was overrated, and he is. A lot of people see that he's 2nd in points and think that makes him a top-10 player - he isn't. I was saying he's more in the Sakic/Yzerman category than the Beliveau/Mikita category, and ultimately agreed that he was better than the former.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Are you shaking your head at me? Direct your head shake at someone who said Messier was lousy.

I mentioned Messier was overrated, and he is. A lot of people see that he's 2nd in points and think that makes him a top-10 player - he isn't. I was saying he's more in the Sakic/Yzerman category than the Beliveau/Mikita category, and ultimately agreed that he was better than the former.

Heh. overall, I have Messier in the Jagr/Bossy/Clarke/Esposito area(Messier 23rd overall)

Sakic and Yzerman are just a wee bit behind that area at 30-31

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
- Hart voting definitely favours Sakic and Yzerman. Here are their top-15s:
Sakic: 1, 6, 7, 7, 7, 8, 14, 14, 15, 15.
Yzerman: 3, 4, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 12.
Messier: 1, 1, 2, 9, 9.

a small quibble in the grand scheme of your argument, but my eyes tell me that the hart voting clearly favours messier. he has three top twos, including two wins. sakic has one win and never finished above sixth in any other year. yzerman has a third and a fourth, and otherwise never finished above seventh. you can maybe say that the difference between a first and a third place finish isn't that huge (depending on the eyar), but there's a big gap between first and sixth. and i don't think you can chalk this up to a peak vs. longevity thing, as messier played at an incredibly high level as long as joe or steve did-- if anything, messier was shielded in the 80s from higher hart finishes by playing on the same team as gretzky (and, to a lesser degree, coffey and kurri).

i hate messier and want every excuse to rank him behind sakic and yzerman. sakic, i can maybe see if i squint really hard, but even then i don't think i can really believe it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You should have seen the argument I had with him when he implied Hakan Loob and Pavel Bure were far better players than Messier.

Heck, Messier even have more SHG playoffs goals than Loob!

thefifthsedin*

You should have seen the argument I had with him when he implied Hakan Loob and Pavel Bure were far better players than Messier.

it's a hfboards classic. but ... skills wise loob and bure has an edge on the mess, whether you like it or not. and i happen to have a soft side for skills and speed and goals and everything else that does it make a pleasure to watch hockey instead of playing poker or betting on harness racing ... blame my soul for that

nhl career stats wise the mess has a massive edge on both [and a lot of others] for a lot of different reason

Heck, Messier even have more SHG playoffs goals than Loob!

good point ... ? [even if i really didn't understand it]

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
it's a hfboards classic. but ... skills wise loob and bure has an edge on the mess, whether you like it or not. and i happen to have a soft side for skills and speed and goals and everything else that does it make a pleasure to watch hockey instead of playing poker or betting on harness racing ... blame my soul for that

nhl career stats wise the mess has a massive edge on both [and a lot of others] for a lot of different reason

good point ... ? [even if i really didn't understand it]
Messier obliterated both of those players in peak, prime and career. A true gamebreaker. His best 1 year is better than either of their best 1 year. His best 5 years is better than their best 5 years, and his career destroys them.

All they had on him was flashiness. Messier used the tools he had skillfully to be a far better player than either of them could dream to be. They may have had more raw skill in things like Skating and stickhandling, but they could not use it like Messier did, and as a result, he is a top 30 all time player, while neither of them are even top 120.

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Let's get one thing out of the way for future thread starters: there's no such thing as a lousy hockey player who makes the NHL. There are marginal NHL players, but anyone who makes it to the NHL is an exceptional hockey player. The guys who reach the show are guys without any weaknesses in their game from a hockey perspective. Even guys who play the enforcer role are usually guys who were the best players in their age group in their province or state in minor hockey.

Just notes on a couple players mentioned:

*Leeman was a talented goal scorer who topped 30 goals twice before his 50-goal breakout. Most expected the 50 goals would be the norm. When he hit 50 in 1990, the Leafs employed an all-out offensive attack. A lot of players on that team had great starts, and Leeman and Daniel Marois had career years. They started poorly in 1990-91, the coach was fired before the quarter point in the season, Ed Olzyck was gone before the quarter point, and Damphousse was traded before the start of 1991-92. And Leeman couldn't stay healthy after 1990.
*People remember Renberg for his play on the Legion of Doom line. They forget that he scored at nearly a point-per-game clip as a rookie the year before, and he was a strong candidate for rookie of the year. And he wasn't on Lindros' line in 1993-94, either. Injuries really held him back.
*Anyone who cites Ray Sheppard has no idea what it takes to score goals at the NHL level. He wasn't the flashiest player or the best skater. But he was a tremendous player. He had a nose for the net. He understood what it takes to score goals. His instincts were elite. He had the attributes that you couldn't teach, and at the end of the day, that's what makes great goal scorers more than anything else - the skills you can't teach.

I think you're wrong,I think a lot of lousy players get to the NHL because they're great fighters or great goal scorers or whatever other reason. A more in depth analysis or a better trained eye might discern that some scorers are actually detrimental to team success.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That may be true. It certainly shows up in things like adjusted +/-. That said, it still doesn't make them a lousy player. Maybe from an NHL standpoint they are, but you still have to be SO good to get there in the first place.

In a league with 700 players, 350 of them are below average for the league. And some of those 350 are bound to be players with good scoring stats who actually make negative contributions in other areas, from an NHL standpoint. In the grand scheme of things though, those guys would be in the top 1% of 1% of hockey players around the world.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
That may be true. It certainly shows up in things like adjusted +/-. That said, it still doesn't make them a lousy player. Maybe from an NHL standpoint they are, but you still have to be SO good to get there in the first place.

In a league with 700 players, 350 of them are below average for the league. And some of those 350 are bound to be players with good scoring stats who actually make negative contributions in other areas, from an NHL standpoint. In the grand scheme of things though, those guys would be in the top 1% of 1% of hockey players around the world.

I think it's pretty much understood that when you call a player lousy that he's lousy in the situation he's presently toiling. What kind of foolish notion is it that we have to accept how great they were in Germany,Sweden,the AHL,college or junior hockey and refrain from saying they now stink in the NHL game? Hello Mr. Daigle. Can we not say a Div 1 college player stinks because he was great in high school and so forth? Some NHL players stink and it matters not one bit what they did prior. Say hello to Andrei Nazarov.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Then Replace Them

I think it's pretty much understood that when you call a player lousy that he's lousy in the situation he's presently toiling. What kind of foolish notion is it that we have to accept how great they were in Germany,Sweden,the AHL,college or junior hockey and refrain from saying they now stink in the NHL game? Hello Mr. Daigle. Can we not say a Div 1 college player stinks because he was great in high school and so forth? Some NHL players stink and it matters not one bit what they did prior. Say hello to Andrei Nazarov.

Assuming your above logic to be flawless then it should be very easy to replace them at the NHL level BUT this is not happening.

They may not be Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin but they are better or more valuable than the alternative.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think the term 'lousy' really colours the responses in this thread. Titling it 'Players who were lesser than their stats would suggest' or something like that probably would have worked better. Ray Sheppard, for ie, wasn't a 'lousy' player but sure as hell contributed a lot less than his numbers would suggest.

Surprised no goalies have been mentioned since stats for goalies are more easily manipulated by the team around them than position players.

Guys like Roman Cechmanek and Patrick Lalime who were very average goalies having great statistical seasons behind average teams would be obvious names to mention.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

I never liked the argument that A may be a better player, but B is more "talented". The player who helps his team more and is more effective on the ice is the more talented player. There's more to talent than fancy stickhandling.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
I think the term 'lousy' really colours the responses in this thread. Titling it 'Players who were lesser than their stats would suggest' or something like that probably would have worked better. Ray Sheppard, for ie, wasn't a 'lousy' player but sure as hell contributed a lot less than his numbers would suggest.

Surprised no goalies have been mentioned since stats for goalies are more easily manipulated by the team around them than position players.

Guys like Roman Cechmanek and Patrick Lalime who were very average goalies having great statistical seasons behind average teams would be obvious names to mention.
Roman Cechmanek was not an average goalie, he had 3 awesome seasons in the nhl. He just joined the nhl at a late age and only played for like 4 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad