Lousy Players with good stats?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
There are tons of "complimentary" players...for example, Alex Tanguay or Pavol Demitra. Both put up a very good amount of points, but games where they've been an impact don't come along very often. I could be wrong about Tanguay though, but I've always gotten that impression from watching him play. But Demitra is definitely like that. I don't mind it because he's only making 4 mil for another year, though, but he's a bit of a perimeter player now and while his puck moving skills are pretty good, he isn't really creating the chances...just moving the puck and picking up that second assist.

Is that what you're looking for?

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
When I saw the title of this thread the name Gary Leeman popped into my head. 13 seasons 199 goals scored. He had a season with 51 goals which is %25 of his career total.

Maybe he was a product of the 80's leafs. He was not a very good player at any end of the ice. But he also has a Stanley cup. He played with Damphousse and Olcyzk, who carried him.

Not sure if your looking for an entire Career or just in general. I wouldn't be surprised to see people bring up Pierre Turgeon.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I could be wrong about Tanguay though, but I've always gotten that impression from watching him play.

Tanguay is nearly a textbook definition of a playmaking winger. For good (way better vision than the average winger, able to chip in due to playmaking) and bad (needs somebody else on his line).

He's a decent player in the defensive zone, which makes him a two-way threat, but he's also on the softer side. Would rank many guys in your category before him, but I guess he somehow belongs, as he needs other players.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
There are tons of "complimentary" players...for example, Alex Tanguay or Pavol Demitra. Both put up a very good amount of points, but games where they've been an impact don't come along very often. I could be wrong about Tanguay though, but I've always gotten that impression from watching him play. But Demitra is definitely like that. I don't mind it because he's only making 4 mil for another year, though, but he's a bit of a perimeter player now and while his puck moving skills are pretty good, he isn't really creating the chances...just moving the puck and picking up that second assist.

Tanguay was very good in the 2001 playoffs, particularly the finals (the ahole!)

As to the original question, the first guy I thought of was Glen Murray.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Not a recent player, but Phil Esposito. Out of shape guy, bad skater and yet he produced more than almost any other player.

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
Not a recent player, but Phil Esposito. Out of shape guy, bad skater and yet he produced more than almost any other player.

"Once I planted my big bud and my 208 pounds of solid fat in front on the net they couldn't move this dude." Espo is definitley one guy that made the most of his (relatively) limited abilities.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Craig Janney was the first name I thought of.

Absolutely worthless away from the puck, and always needed a strong power forward type on his line to do any work along the boards retrieving pucks. Very streaky. His streakiness had much to do with his effort, or lack thereof much of the time...

Used to Cherry pick a lot. That is a big no no in my book.

And he was among the softest players I have ever seen. Someone mentioned Turgeon for being soft? Janney made Turgeon seem gritty and tough in comparison.

Granted he had good hands and was a great playmaker, but it was his other qualities that brought him down.

Ogopogo*

You are really asking about Gino Odjick. Horrible player but Pavel Bure managed to bounce 20 in off his ass one season.

Ogopogo*

"Once I planted my big bud and my 208 pounds of solid fat in front on the net they couldn't move this dude." Espo is definitley one guy that made the most of his (relatively) limited abilities.

No such thing as "limited" abilities for a guy that won as many scoring titles as Espo. He was a great player no matter what your feelings are about his style. Production is what matters, style is irrelevant.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yeah, I'm not sure how Esposito could be considered a "lousy" player when he won Hart trophies, scoring titles, and MVPs of international tournaments.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Yeah, I'm not sure how Esposito could be considered a "lousy" player when he won Hart trophies, scoring titles, and MVPs of international tournaments.

For once I am in agreement with Ogopogo. Style is irrelevant. Production is what matters. Esposito was great offensively, good defensively and his team was all the better for it.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Ummm.....Espo led the league in goals seven season in a row, and by most accounts is one of the top 20 players of all time.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
....good catch. :P

I knew I should have checked first....my memories for these endless stats/records is fading as I get older, lol.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006

Demitra just regressed with age, so I don't think he belongs in this thread at all. Back during his St. Louis Blues days when he posted his best numbers, he was certainly a driving force for the team and not a "complimentary" player.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Demitra just regressed with age, so I don't think he belongs in this thread at all. Back during his St. Louis Blues days when he posted his best numbers, he was certainly a driving force for the team and not a "complimentary" player.

I think even then teams werent thinking about keying in on Demitra and shutting him down to win. They were more focused on Pronger Macinnis and even Tkachuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad