Lousy Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
As someone who attended Adirondack Red Wings games in the 80's and fell in love with hockey partially because of them, I not thrilled that the team playing in Glens Falls now is called the FROSTBITE! Yeesh!

OT- By chance, did you ever see Kory Kocur play? Why is it he never moved up to the show?

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
Terrier said:
I'm glad you brought up Macon. A thread like this is lacking if we don't mention the Whoopee. Macon isn't doing much better these days, with a team called the Trax, in a league you probably never heard of, the SPHL.

http://www.thesphl.com/

I was planning on mentioning names that were very bad puns, but I deleted that bit before I posted as it was getting long winded. Macon Whoopee was such a bad pun that it's clever, Macon Trax is just dumb.

uzziman

Nov 6, 2002
Abby
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Polar opposites one might say. Does anyone renrmber the ' real live' penguin mascot they trained to skate and lead them onto the ice? They gave up after it caught a cold and died.

is it wrong that I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
"Oh, there are some I'd like to take back," he began with a smile. "I can remember one perfect pass I laid to Bernie Nicholls after he called my name, my nickname, and I gave him a blind pass right in front of the net and he deposited it behind Bob Essensa, I believe. He called for it and I gave it to him and the worst thing about it was not only giving him the puck and getting fooled into it, but that I twisted my knee and banged my knee trying to scramble back and I missed three weeks. You remember those things."

- Randy Carlyle

...If I could only remember his nickname. :banghead:

I think it's pretty bad too ... darn.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Almost every single baseball name is stupid. TWO teams are named SOX. twins? padres? expos? wtf is a dodger?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Twins = Twin Cities ;) fyi...

Also the Ice Bats aren't as bad as people think per say. Austin has the largest Mexican Free Tail Bats (I believe) living under a bridge (namely the Congress Avenue Bridge), so I could see the Ice Bats...

Now the stadium...Oi! That is horrible. They play basically in a barn...seriously. They have rodeos in the Expo Center, where they play. Smells like a barn too. But it's fun and I enjoy it.

Go Ice Bats! Better than calling them the Austin Bats...

Oh and I was peeved they didn't call the Dallas Stars, the Dallas Lone Stars...errr wait that sounds crappier.

The Houston Texans are pretty crappy too of a name.

And the Cleveland Browns...Right...Chalk that one up...

Other nicknames...

New Orleans Hornets...Could you PLEASE change the name after you move?

There are some other ones I really dislike but I can't remember...

Matt Foley*

tml_4ever said:
for some reason, i think "bluejackets" is really dumb, especially with the hockey stick-magic wand thing. (No offence, guys...;))

The other name considered for the Columbus franchise was the Justice, which IMHO is much worse than Blue Jackets (I wasn't crazy about Blue Jackets at first, either). I also think the third jersey logo is much better than the original one.

jacketracket*

Matt Foley said:
The other name considered for the Columbus franchise was the Justice, which IMHO is much worse than Blue Jackets (I wasn't crazy about Blue Jackets at first, either). I also think the third jersey logo is much better than the original one.
I was pretty disappointed with the name (and the whole "Stinger" thing) too, when it was first announced.

But the name grows on you, if you're a CBJ fan. I've come to like the original crest, and as Foley said the 3rd uni crest is pretty sweet, IMO.

MacDaddy TLC*

mazmin said:
- Randy Carlyle

...If I could only remember his nickname. :banghead:

I think it's pretty bad too ... darn.

Was it Kitty Carlyle?

MacDaddy TLC*

I really thought the Pocket Rocket was a goofy nickname. It sounds like you are describing something different altogether.

It was made even worse when Henri Richard was asked how he was adjusting to hockey after his brother's retirement:
"I liked playing with my brother, but I like playing with myself too."

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Howabout when parent teams stick their farm teams with the same name even when inappropriate?

Binghamton Senators
Binghamton Whalers
P.E.I Senators
Thunder Bay Senators
Captial District Islanders
Cape Breton Oilers
...and
The Mighty Ducks of Cincinatti

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Terrier said:
I'm glad you brought up Macon. A thread like this is lacking if we don't mention the Whoopee. Macon isn't doing much better these days, with a team called the Trax, in a league you probably never heard of, the SPHL.

http://www.thesphl.com/

Heh. I've kind of been following the SPHL since Hartford/Charlotte have some players stashed there. Man, they have some bad names/logos that break the rules mentioned here

Macon Trax (At least the locomotive logo is fresh. What was the Whoopee's logo?)
Fayetteville FireAntz ("extreme" spelling)
Knoxville Ice Bears ("ice" name)
Winton-Salem Polar Twins ("Polar Twin powers, activate!" Plus their logo makes me think of Klondike Ice Cream Bars.

Only the Asheville Aces have a name AND logo that looks good.

Ah, the joys of lower-level minor hockey. (Although, I wish the SPHL well. It basically crawled from the wreckages of the WHA2 and the SEHL.(

Chartrand

Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Ziggyjoe21 said:
Almost every single baseball name is stupid. TWO teams are named SOX. twins? padres? expos? wtf is a dodger?

Sox dates back to like, the 1870's, with the Cincinnati Red Stockings. Both Boston and Chicago franchises have been around forever.

Twins refers to Twin Cities in Minnesota ( Minneapolis and St. Paul ).

I would guess that Padres has something to do with missionaries ( not the position ).

The Dodgers were given that name when they were in Brooklyn, in reference to "train dodging".

:teach:

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
Ziggyjoe21 said:
TWO teams are named SOX.

I don't think that's so weird. When the North Stars moved I always said that they should have been called the Lone Stars so that if Minnesota ever got an expansion team, they could call it the North Stars again. Thought it would be kinda neat to have Lone Stars and North Stars in the same league. But it didn't happen and Minnesota got stuck with a horrendous nickname.

Scarlet Jaspar

Almost every single baseball name is stupid. TWO teams are named SOX.

You can also count the Reds and Tigers in there as well, as both of those teams were originally named after the socks they wore. The Pirates have to be one of my favourites, as, supposedly, they were named that due to the fact that they were always stealing other teams' players. The nickname seems kind of ironic nowadays though, considering the Pirates troubles in keeping their players.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Ever notice that there are 2 AHL teams called the Admirals? (Milwuakee is a holdover from the IHL while Norfolk is a "promoted" ECHL franchise)

From the shadowy past....

California Golden Seals
Binghamton (Broome County) Dusters (NAHL/AHL)
Moncton Golden Flames (AHL)
Wichita Wind (old CHL)
Alabama Slammers (WHA2)
Memphis South Stars (old CHL)
Mohawk Valley Prowlers (UHL)
B.C. Icemen (UHL)

From the present...

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs (CHL)
Odessa Jackalopes (CHL)
Danbury Trashers (UHL)
Pee Dee Pride (ECHL)
Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL)
Toledo IceDiggers (NAHL)
Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
Was it Kitty Carlyle?

Yes! Thank you.

Speaking of Carlyle,

I just read an interview with Randy and he was talking about his days playing with Ron Wilson. He'd always call Wilson a midget, until one day Wilson remarked
"you're no giant either, Randy."
Randy replied
"yeah, but I can still eat peanuts off the top of your head with my hands tied behind my back."

That cracked me up.

Bad nicknames? How about my favourite, Dale "Ducky" Hawerchuk.

No wonder the Jets never won...names like Pokey, Kitty, Ducky... geeez! :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad