Lousy Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbrown

Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Yes, there seems to have been a general decline since the 80's of team and player nicknames.

I'm especially bored of the supposed nicknames of players where it's just a shortened version of their actual name. Whatever happened to Killer, or other more imaginative names!?!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It used to work years ago when players had nicknames for their lines. But not nowadays, since players change teams like we change our socks. Remember the FLY line? Lindros, York, Fleury? Yeah Fleury went into rehab partway through the season and York was then traded. Yeah that lasted long eh?

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Don't forget the Leafs' all-star "sky line". I'm not sure who was on it other than Antropov, but then again how much more info do you need than that?

Orv

Jan 7, 2004
Calgary, Ab/Eston,SK
Don't know if this falls into the same category but how about Andre "Red Light" Racicot? Now it would suck to be a goalie and have that nickname!!

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
THe "MAG" line? WTF???? I get ticked off when I see that name it just doesnt have any significance at all, yet the Stars fans insist on using it.

acr*

The Knuble-Thornton-Murray line was called the "700 Pound Line", which I thought was pretty dumb. That was a great line, they deserved better than something about their combined weight.

If I remember right, I think Claude Julien coined it in an interview after a B's-Habs game.

Sebastien Centomo

Feb 29, 2004
www.tmlfans.ca
Orv said:
Don't know if this falls into the same category but how about Andre "Red Light" Racicot? Now it would suck to be a goalie and have that nickname!!

Why? When you're on the road you stop for a red light, calling Racicot 'red light' would suggest things (pucks, maybe) stop for him. :dunno:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Honus Joglund said:
Why? When you're on the road you stop for a red light, calling Racicot 'red light' would suggest things (pucks, maybe) stop for him. :dunno:

I hope you're pullin' are leg. :joker:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Bad nicknames. I think the worst come from teams that switch cities but keep the old names. The best examples I can think of are in basketball. The Utah Jazz - Jazz in Utah? Hmm... Should have either stayed in New Orleans or changed the name. Don't see too many mormons bopping to Miles Davis' Greatest Hits.

The LA Lakers? Horrible name! Made sense in Minnesota... but LA?

The Calgary Flames doesn't make a ton of sense. We all know about the fires in Atlanta (see Gone With The Wind) so the Atlanta Flames name makes sense... but flames in Calgary? Hmm... I guess you could make some reference to oil fires or even forrest fires so I guess I couls let this one go.

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks... what a friggin joke. Please contract so we can all forget. The sooner the better.

Crosbyfan said:
I hope you're pullin' are leg. :joker:

I hope you are from Quebec, the deep south or happen to be under the age of 12 because that is some poor english bro.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
mazmin said:
Bad nicknames. I think the worst come from teams that switch cities but keep the old names. The best examples I can think of are in basketball. The Utah Jazz - Jazz in Utah? Hmm... Should have either stayed in New Orleans or changed the name. Don't see too many mormons bopping to Miles Davis' Greatest Hits.

The LA Lakers? Horrible name! Made sense in Minnesota... but LA?

The Calgary Flames doesn't make a ton of sense. We all know about the fires in Atlanta (see Gone With The Wind) so the Atlanta Flames name makes sense... but flames in Calgary? Hmm... I guess you could make some reference to oil fires or even forrest fires so I guess I couls let this one go.

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks... what a friggin joke. Please contact so we can all forget. The sooner the better.

QUOTE]

Great post, now those names are gonna peeve me off every time I see or hear them. Thanks a lot :banghead:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Penguins are named after the shape of our building.

Apparently someone didn't realize PENGUINS DON'T LIVE IN IGLOOS

I still love the name, but the way that we came across it is just sad...

Reactions: Chili

MacDaddy TLC*

Here would be a great place to pay homage to the lower minor leagues in North America:

The UHL's Rockford Ice Hogs (sadly this franchise used to be the great Thunder Bay Thunderhawks/Senators/Thundercats before bing bought and moved to the States) EDIT: There logo is the bakend of a pig! http://www.laughinghyena.net/LogoServer/hockey/RockfordIceHogs0001.GIF
I can't remember which league it is (East coast I think) but the name Macon Whoopee just is an awful name for a hockey team.

In Japan, I think Dr Randy Gregg played for a team called the Kikudu Bunnies. Surely, they weren't the Charleston Chiefs of Japan.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
The Flames name did make more sense in Atlanta until Calgary hosted the 1988 Winter Olympics (Flames coming off of a torch anyone?).

To me, the worst ones are ones where they use the word "ice" or "blades" with another word.

Ice Pilots
IceGators
Ice Dogs
IceHogs
Ice Bats
IceCats
Everblades
Thoroughblades

And ones that are misspelled on purpose "to give the name an edge" are another one:

Corpus Christi Rayz
Greenville Grrrowl

But the worst name and logo has to go to the Danbury Trashers. A hockey playing garbage can? WTF?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
mazmin said:
I hope you are from Quebec, the deep south or happen to be under the age of 12 because that is some poor english bro.

some poor english, yes

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
The Penguins are named after the shape of our building.

Apparently someone didn't realize PENGUINS DON'T LIVE IN IGLOOS

I still love the name, but the way that we came across it is just sad...

Polar opposites one might say. Does anyone renrmber the ' real live' penguin mascot they trained to skate and lead them onto the ice? They gave up after it caught a cold and died.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
A near miss in this department: a proposed name for the Avs was the Rocky Mountain Extreme. Lucky that got leaked before the announcement and quickly smacked down.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Crosbyfan said:
Polar opposites one might say. Does anyone renrmber the ' real live' penguin mascot they trained to skate and lead them onto the ice? They gave up after it caught a cold and died.

Rest In Peace Petey :cry:

(the Penguins skating penguin logo is lovingly named after that deceased flightless waterfowl)

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
Here would be a great place to pay homage to the lower minor leagues in North America:

The UHL's Rockford Ice Hogs (sadly this franchise used to be the great Thunder Bay Thunderhawks/Senators/Thundercats before bing bought and moved to the States) EDIT: There logo is the bakend of a pig! http://www.laughinghyena.net/LogoServer/hockey/RockfordIceHogs0001.GIF
I can't remember which league it is (East coast I think) but the name Macon Whoopee just is an awful name for a hockey team.

In Japan, I think Dr Randy Gregg played for a team called the Kikudu Bunnies. Surely, they weren't the Charleston Chiefs of Japan.

I'm glad you brought up Macon. A thread like this is lacking if we don't mention the Whoopee. Macon isn't doing much better these days, with a team called the Trax, in a league you probably never heard of, the SPHL.

http://www.thesphl.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad