Louis Leblanc?

Inked87

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Montreal drafted Louis Leblanc over Ryan O’Reilly, Chris Kreider, Jeremy Morin, Kyle Clifford, John Moore

It hurts. As much as I love having a "hometown" boy with a French name... This pick screams "we picked him cause he's French". To think we could have had Kreider over him is depressing. :shakehead
Sigh.

Habs8517

Feb 28, 2007
Montreal
He was a bust before he was drafted when the fans started chanting his name. That got on his head and was his downfall.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
More depressing is we drafted Chipchura over Mike Green, Travis Zajac, Kris Versteeg.

Andrei Kostitsyn over Getzlaf, Carter, Richards, Parise, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Ryan Kesler, Perry, Loui Eriksson

Cory Urquhart over Bergeron, S.Weber, C.Crawford

Lapierre over Backes

David Fisher over Claude Giroux, Patrick Berglund, Lucic

Depressing

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
More depressing is we drafted Chipchura over Mike Green, Travis Zajac, Kris Versteeg.

Andrei Kostitsyn over Getzlaf, Carter, Richards, Parise, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Ryan Kesler, Perry, Loui Eriksson

Lapierre over Backes

Depressing

And you don't list the good ones?

The Habs aren't the only team to have missed the boat on some of those players. Easy to look back now and say how back we screwed up. I think people are just upset at this draft cause we went with the hometown kid not even carying if he was going to make it or not. It was just to please the people and now those same people are calling radio shows saying... coment ca on a pas un gars comme Kreider nous!!!

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
And you don't list the good ones?

The Habs aren't the only team to have missed the boat on some of those players. Easy to look back now and say how back we screwed up. I think people are just upset at this draft cause we went with the hometown kid not even carying if he was going to make it or not. It was just to please the people and now those same people are calling radio shows saying... coment ca on a pas un gars comme Kreider nous!!!

Cause Gainey " Voulez faire plaisir au people" dumbest gm there is, after Milbury

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

Lapierre over Backes

Depressing

Every teams can make such a list though. We gotta move on.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
2013 best draft we had in years, Galchenyuk, Gregoire, De La Rose, Andrighetto, Thrower, Vail, Hudon, Collberg (got us Vanek), Bozon

Apr 28, 2010
Seriously though. I knew LL would be a bust the moment he was drafted. I know I'm not alone in this.

The standing ovation, the expectations of being the next best thing.. it's just too much for him. It all got to him and never recovered.

It sucks that he can't embrace it. Absolutely no drive and motivation.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It sucks because I thought he looked good in his first stint in the nhl in 2011-2012. He was also pretty good in his first season with Dogs. Shame.

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
Christ, you people make it sound like we drafted some schmuck who nobody who had ever heard of, just because he was French.

Leblanc was ranked 17th in Bob McKenzie's final draft ranking for that year.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?fid=11892

We drafted him 18th. Hardly a stretch. Here is the write-up on Leblanc from NHL Central Scouting, quoted in the above draft ranking:

"The most impressive things about Louis LeBlanc are his hands and his evasiveness with the puck; that separates him from other players on the ice right away. He needs to fill out a little bit yet, but he has the frame to be a big center. The other part of LeBlanc's game that I noticed was his vision; his ability to see and dissect a play and to make the right play. He's also very competitive and he gets involved in the play."

So, let's see... a guy who was ranked right around where we were picking, a guy who had scouts thinking he was going to fill out and be a big RIGHT shooting center, and a guy who was described as being "very competitive". And yet we only drafted him because he was French.

Right. :shakehead

It didn't work out. Oh well, it happens. Lots of first round picks don't make it, it just happens. But this revisionist "he was only drafted because he was French" crap is just that - crap. Yeah, he was and is a local boy, and maybe that factored into the decision a little bit, but it was hardly a terrible pick at the time. If you think his mother-tongue was the ONLY reason he was drafted then you are seriously mistaken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad