Louis Leblanc?

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
I'm going to keep this short. I was watching the NHL Draft a few years ago, like many of you were, as it was occurring in Montreal. When it was Montreal's turn to draft, I was hoping they were going to select a forward. When they selected Louis Leblanc, I had mixed feelings. To be honest, I didn't know a whole lot about him, but the primary factor that scared me was that Gainey selected Leblanc because he was French-Canadian, and felt pressure as the draft was held in Montreal.

A few years later, looking back at the draft, I don't mind the pick. He was picked before Kreider and Johansson, but after Glennie and Paajarvi.

I think he's a decent pick. I can see him fitting into the bottom-6 of the lineup in another season or two (I think he was a projected third-liner at the time, anyways). Many people think he's a bust after his abysmal 18 point, -18 season this past year in Hamilton, but not all of our prospects are going to be in our top-6. Based on articles and data across the interweb, Collberg, Hudon, Galchenyuk and Gallagher will eventually fit into our top-6. I think that Leblanc is a solid addition to the bottom-6 on a team that Bergevin is trying to build completely by draft. What do you all think?

Last edited:

Le depisteur

Feb 13, 2003
Québec
Visit site
I'm going to keep this short. I was watching the NHL Draft a few years ago, like many of you were, as it was occurring in Montreal. When it was Montreal's turn to draft, I was hoping they were going to select a forward. When they selected Louis Leblanc, I had mixed feelings. To be honest, I didn't know a whole lot about him, but the primary factor that scared me was that Gainey selected Leblanc because he was French-Canadian, and felt pressure as the draft was held in Montreal.

A few years later, looking back at the draft, I don't mind the pick. He was picked before Kreider and Johansson, but after Glennie and Paajarvi.

I think he's a decent pick. I can see him fitting into the bottom-6 of the lineup (I think he was a projected third-liner at the time, anyways). Many people think he's a bust after his abysmal 18 point, -18 season this past year in Hamilton, but not all of our prospects are going to be in our top-6. Based on articles and data across the interweb, Collberg, Hudon, Galchenyuk and Gallagher will eventually fit into our top-6. I think that Leblanc is a solid addition to the bottom-6 on a team that Bergevin is trying to build completely by draft. What do you all think?

He needs an other year in Hamilton.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
He needs an other year in Hamilton.

I completely agree. Development was killed last season with Gauthier bouncing him between NHL and AHL, and he was injured for awhile this season. Could next season be the make-or-break year for him? I mean, could his production next season determine whether he is a part of Montreal's future?

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I think LL will never make it to the NHL and will fade away from the game soon. Sure, he might be brought up and play a few minutes on the 3rd line, but after he gets physically abused, he will lose interest, and will probably resign himself to the reality that the only reason why he was drafted high was because he is French.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He had a terrible year, there's no two ways about it. But that doesn't write him off completely. Players of all ages and at all points in their careers have years where absolutely nothing goes right for them. I'm sure the high ankle sprain didn't help.

So obviously Leblanc isn't looking like a stellar pick right now, but let's see how he puts it together next year. He showed some good stuff playing in the NHL two years ago, let's not forget.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
He had a terrible year, there's no two ways about it. But that doesn't write him off completely. Players of all ages and at all points in their careers have years where absolutely nothing goes right for them. I'm sure the high ankle sprain didn't help.

So obviously Leblanc isn't looking like a stellar pick right now, but let's see how he puts it together next year. He showed some good stuff playing in the NHL two years ago, let's not forget.

This kind of reminds me of the situation Pacioretty was in 3 short years ago. Everybody thought was going to be a bust. Now look at him.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
He looked very solid to me last year. This year... something went wrong. But it's too early to write off that good year in 2012 just because of a bad one in 2013. He's young enough that there is really no need to even consider anything else but "sit back and watch" for next season. Either he pulls out of it, or not, but either way, it's the upcoming season that is critical for him, and there's really no point in getting ahead of ourselves in predicting or trying to be proactive on his case until he gets that season in.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
This kind of reminds me of the situation Pacioretty was in 3 short years ago. Everybody thought was going to be a bust. Now look at him.

When did anyone think Pacioretty would be a bust?

Leblanc still needs to develop in Hamilton. If he becomes an NHLer than it'll be a pleasant addition for MB. If not, well it doesn't really matter at this point as he has fallen down the depth charts of Centers in our system. Also he seems to be to fragile to be an effective third line center.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Still a fan. I'm sure he'll find a niche in the NHL on the 3rd or 4th line someday.

Probably not in Montréal unless he learn to be efficient playing wing.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009

Leblanc still needs to develop in Hamilton. If he becomes an NHLer than it'll be a pleasant addition for MB. If not, well it doesn't really matter at this point as he has fallen down the depth charts of Centers in our system. Also he seems to be to fragile to be an effective third line center.

I'm not sure when it was, maybe beginnng of 10-11' season when Patches made those comments of "send me to the minors and let me play real minutes," after he was playing 4th line minutes with the Habs and being pretty useless. A lot of people had doubts about him then. He gelled with DD in Hamilton, and the rest is history.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think LL will never make it to the NHL and will fade away from the game soon. Sure, he might be brought up and play a few minutes on the 3rd line, but after he gets physically abused, he will lose interest, and will probably resign himself to the reality that the only reason why he was drafted high was because he is French.

Why would they decide to use the 1st round pick "just to draft a french guy" that makes no sense at all. Plus most scouting services had him about where he was drafted so it makes no sense.

Also the guys drafted after him are hardly NHL stars so pretty hard to say he wasn't the BPA.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

When he made the "leave me in Hamilton for the whole year" comment in 2010-2011. Most people in the Pacioretty thread were saying he was a bust.

For Leblanc, I really believe he was still slowed down a lot by that injury. I still think he can be a really good 3rd line winger that can play on the second line once in a while.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Exactly, most fans can't grasp that just about every player in the NHL will have setbacks or a down year at some point in their career. The real test is how that player bounces back. Pacioretty is a perfect example, in 09-10 at 21 he also had a year to forget and only scored 5 goals in 70 combined games AHL and NHL, the yaer after he got back on track with a great year, 31 combined goals in 64 games.

LeBlanc played half the year in the NHL at 20 last year and didn't look out of place, if he can have a good start and get things back on the rails, no reason to think he can't be a top 9 guy in a year or two.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Kristo and Leblanc are the same age. If Louis spent this year in the NCAA and put up big points, as I'm quite sure he would, no way would he be labeled a bust. He had a bad year for a prospect, IMO more of a lateral move and not a huge step back. Give him some time and I'm sure we'll see him with the Habs. He hasn't had a good year but he's still got a lot of potential. Also, not a fan of the coaching staff in Hamilton.

I'm sure everyone remembers this article:

http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouvelles/louis-leblanc-vivrait-l-enfer-a-hamilton-200432.html

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Speculation, but I'm not 100% he really WANTS to be a hockey player. He has the skill, I think he lacks the desire. Yes, it seems strange so fans but he's not the first and won't be the last guy who just doesn't have that deep down desire to be a hockey player.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Leblanc should do the same training as Pacioretty this summer. He needs to work on those chicken legs or he'll never be a regular NHLer.

habsrock76

Sep 21, 2006
Ottawa
I thought I read on these boards that the coaches in Hamilton tried giving him the tough love approach and he folded mentally.

I have a feeling LL will be part of a trade this summer.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Speculation, but I'm not 100% he really WANTS to be a hockey player. He has the skill, I think he lacks the desire. Yes, it seems strange so fans but he's not the first and won't be the last guy who just doesn't have that deep down desire to be a hockey player.

Maybe he wants to go back to Harvard?:dunno:

He looked great in his first year, the type of guy who's hockey sense was just too high for him to bust. He looked like he would be a staple 3rd line player, temporary top 6 fill in case of injury ala Higgins. To see him regress so much in just one year is...well weird. He wasn't just good with the habs in 2011-2012, he played well with the bulldogs as well.

The team the bulldogs had this season didn't help either. For example, Gallagher goal per game production and point per game production was higher in the nhl against tougher competition than it was in the ahl. Not the best justification or the best explanation, but it can be a part of the explanation. That doesn't mean I want to take the blame away from Louis, but I have a hard time believing that the regression was due to a lack of talent when he played so well in the previous years no matter what level or league he played in.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
He had one bad year and he had a tough injury, I really like LL, surprised that soo many ppl have given up on him already.

I always saw him as a 3rd line guy so maybe some ppl expected more, he reminds me of Higgins a little, smart players, who maybe ppl didnt meet what ppl expected of them in MTL.

Another thing I don't agree with, is that some ppl say that if he isn't a top 9 forward, he is useless, I don't think so, I remember in 11-12 durning his call ups, he plays a very physical game, does very well along the boards and wins battle and this was when he was very light, I believe he had two straight summers where he could work out and gain some weight, so ideal hell put on some more weight to be more effective.

Another plus for LL, is that he is a centre that is better on the wing and more effective also a right hand shot, something we don't have. When and if one of Plek or DD are traded, having Leblanc a guy that can move to king is one of Eller Gally or Plek/DD would be good for our depth.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

That is some seriously baseless speculation.

Leblanc has always been a hard worker, it is his skill level that has been overrated by most.

The real issue with Leblanc is between his ears as he is a very odd individual and may not fit in well with other athletes. Lefebvre's tough love approach imo really shattered his confidence. Hopefully he can take this off season to do a mental reset and come to camp with something to prove.

I have always liked his potential as a 3rd line winger and believe that is still attainable if he can get his head on straight.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
LeBlanc will be exactly what he was supposed to be. A 3rd line NHLer with SOME scoring touch. Im thinking a 30 point 2 way player.

SlimDiggity

May 24, 2013
Let's not forget Leblanc's impressive WJC performance, where he and Couturier were Canada's most effective 2-way forwards and about the only two who showed up for that Gold medal game...

He's not going to put up insane numbers in the AHL, especially not with the guys he played with this year. He will need to be evaluated and promoted based on his defensive play and overall impact on the game. I can see a bounce back year with some time in the NHL in 2013-14.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad