Proposal: Loui Loui, Oh No, He Gotta Go: VAN + ARI

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You aren't getting Kessel for that. Juolevi is valueless and a 2nd doesn't compensate for that awful Eriksson deal.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
To Vancouver: Kessel

To Arizona: Eriksson, Juolevi, 2021 2nd rd pick

Vancouver add an offensive RW to their top 6 while also dumping Eriksson's contract

Unlikely to contend in the coming years, and with 4 D-men set to hit UFA after this season, Arizona looks to build for the future by adding a talented young D-man with upside in Juolevi, and a 2nd rd pick in next year's draft

One of the worst and most lopsided proposals I’ve seen. Arizona scoffs and tells Vancouver to F off. Two worthless players from Vancouver and a 2nd? Gonna be a lot more expensive to move that garbage Loui contract.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
By next year, Johnson's NTC is a M-NTC and they can get rid of him easier...or they might give some incentive to lose him to Seattle. Everyone is going to lose someone good to Seattle as well don't forget.

Further, nothing is stopping Tampa from renting Kessel for a deadline and then passing him off again in the offseason. The trade to get Kessel might be a way to SOLVE cap problems if one of Gourde/Johnson is willing to play in Arizona. Maybe Arizona WANTS a top-6 player who is signed a bit more long-term than Kessel

Kessel + retention + pick for Gourde + Nilsson + Gaborik + late 1st. I'd have to check the math, but I'm pretty sure it won't change Tampa's cap situation and won't change dollars. It might actually simplify a few things as only Kucherov will be on LTIR for Tampa at that point. Kessell will waive for Tampa easily. If Tampa loses Johnson to expansion, they will now only have 1 more year of Kessel at around 5.5M which opens room for Point's new contarct.

Just be creative. Edit: id o have to check out Kessel's retention though to see how much Arizona can retain, Tampa's situation is particularly tight.

Edit: 2: Also, even if Arizona doesn't want Johnson//Gourde, someone else might, Tampa can make a separate deal with another team. The whole advantage of Kessel is that he is very skill/productive, reasonably cheap with retention and won't cost an arm and a leg. (because of his NTC). For Tampa, the advantage isn't so much saving dollars TODAY or next season, but dollars in 2022 when they have Point coming up for a new contract.
Arizona has a lot of cap coming off the books this off-season so they have no need of LTIR guys.

Kessel plus a little retention for Gourde plus Tampa’s 2021 1st is an interesting deal.

not sure what Tampa then attaches to get Seattle to take Johnson instead of a Cernak or Palat (at least one 1st and probably more) but it moves both Gourde and Johnson off your books.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
The point of Vancouver dealing Loui would be to shed his contract. Adding one of their only young defensemen and a second to literally take on more salary defeats the entire purpose of moving him. This doesn't solve their cap issues (in fact, it makes them worse) and it gives them what? An aging Kessel that is poor defensively and had less even strength goals than Eriksson last year? Hard pass.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
You aren't getting Kessel for that. Juolevi is valueless and a 2nd doesn't compensate for that awful Eriksson deal.

Is Kessel really worth much anymore? He scored 38 points last year, is soft as butter, and is signed for two more years at an 8 million dollar cap hit.

I think the mentality here is this:
- ARZ saves 4mil in real dollars, and 2mil in cap space for the next two years.
- Because Kessel is still much better than Eriksson, assets are being added to bridge the gap. Juolevi certainly has value, especially after making the NHL this season. And a 2nd is a 2nd.
- ARZ does this to build young assets and save some money.
- VAN does this in the hopes that Kessel rebounds. If he doesn't we have essentially just paid two good assets for a worse contract.

WITH THAT BEING SAID, it's clear that AZN posters do not view Kessel in the same light as some outsiders might. From my viewpoint it looks like a risky contract to take on, especially if you're giving assets to get it.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I mean Toronto is still holding 15% of Kessel's contract, but I agree with you're view, Luck 6.

I'm not hearing a lot of support for Kessel from Arizona fans*, but a lot from fans of other teams.

As for the premise, I like it, but obviously there are some changes that would have to be made to make this agreeable to both sides. This is almost an ideal trade for Vancouver, as we need a top six winger, and have precious little cap space to play with. I don't see a ton of on ice or hockey incentive for Arizona, but any Coyotes fans I've seen aren't as offended by this trade as other fanbases. This makes me think that there is something I've missed from Kessel's decline over the last few seasons, which is impossible, because as an internet poster, I'm omnipotent.

Edit: *Upon rereading, there was one polite declination, compared to a few Coyotes fans (I think) not agreeing, but ragging on Kessel.

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Unlikely to contend in the coming years, and with 4 D-men set to hit UFA after this season, Arizona looks to build for the future by adding a talented young D-man with upside in Juolevi, and a 2nd rd pick in next year's draft

It's like you're trying to sell a broken car.

Go on, scram! Get outta here! Get!

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Does Kessel have positive value at this point?

He's a 33 year old winger with 2 years left on his deal at a cap hit of nearly 7 million per, and he's coming off a season in which he had 14 goals, 38 points, and was a -21 in 70 games...

So, which teams do you think would not only be interested in Kessel, but would also willing to beat the offer in the OP?

kessel Retained at say 50% on the final 1.5 on his contract absolutely gets you in the conversation for a late 1st and possibly a prospect

Loui on the other hand even at 50% retained, you are still playing something to offload him, since his play on the ice is a net negative never mind the contract aspect

so you have two entirely different assets...I’m not sure if you think Juolevi is still a valuable prospect just because of where he was drafted or that a likely #49-64 pick is the difference between the two but it’s most undoubtedly not

that’s the problem with your OP to sum it up. You aren’t dealing with two bad contracts that can’t be unloaded without paying for it...you are dealing with one that you pay to acquire with retention and one you pay to get rid of while retaining.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Anything involving erikshit is going to look like this

Erikshit+asset+ pick
For...
Nothing.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad