Lou Statue in Championship Plaza?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Thread question is does Lou deserve a statue.

There is little to no reason to believe Lou won't be recognized in some way, on the ice, by the organization in the future. It is going to happen and if you think otherwise...I honestly don't know what to tell you because there is no basis in reality to believe it.

Only real question is how much do you do for him. Banner, statue, a whole year?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Thread question is does Lou deserve a statue.

There is little to no reason to believe Lou won't be recognized in some way, on the ice, by the organization in the future. It is going to happen and if you think otherwise...I honestly don't know what to tell you because there is no basis in reality to believe it.

Only real question is how much do you do for him. Banner, statue, a whole year?

it would be funny if in a few years shero (as president) brings back lou as GM continuing the retread cycle :laugh:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Lou deserves a statue or similar honor in my opinion, but in my opinion he also didn't deserve to get shunted aside like this. Fans don't have much say in this. Only ownership. I wouldn't be surprised if ownership only did something to honor Lou for financial reasons (merchandise or selling out at the Rock) or because they needed to capitalize on positive past memories if the team is still in the sewer when Lou retires. I doubt they'll do it for sentimental reasons like respecting Lou. They don't strike me as the sentimental sort, especially with regard to Lou.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah he is. He's the single most important person in the franchise's history by a country mile.

Personally think that was Scott Stevens, but I think the team should give him a Statue. I'm not a fan of putting non players up in the rafters.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
He is our Vince Lombardi. Eventually there should be the statue - but not while he's still around. http://media1.shmoop.com/media/images/large/vince-lombardi.jpg

The tribute to him in the near term should be something more in line with protocols he helped set - a nice framed painting somewhere - maybe the Lou Lamoriello Plaza dedication a few years down the line as part of Lou night. Nothing immediate however other than probably a few kind words in a statement. I really can't see having a Lou banner hanging up - it's just not the same as a player number up there. If there was ever a good reason to have the "ring of fame" thing get kicked off - this might be it. Dr. McMullen and Lou both should be honored in that as well as some of the players that don't quite rise to the level of jersey retirement.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is really something you do after he passes away. Statues just feel like memorials to me.

Do a banner in the rafters when he retires first.

I kind of agree (and that banner RG posted was classic)...BUT the sooner a Lou statue replaces random giant hockey player the better, that thing's an eyesore :P

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
Personally think that was Scott Stevens, but I think the team should give him a Statue. I'm not a fan of putting non players up in the rafters.

For the right people, I'm ok with it. Al Arbour and Bill Torrey have banners with NYI. Glen Sather, now that he is no longer a GM, is getting a banner with EDM this season.

Lou definitely deserves a banner. But after he's done with the Leafs.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
No statues please, team first. Lou would say no to a statue if asked.

Honor him in a classy way while he is alive with say a nice painting of him at the entranceway.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
We need a Hall of Fame, we need statues and at least 3 more banners.

Banners for Elias, Marty and Lou

Statues/Art installation for Dr. McMullen, Lou, Stevens and Marty

Hall of Fame for all the above but also guys like Sarge, Claude, Holik and so on and so on.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Hall of Fame for all the above but also guys like Sarge, Claude, Holik and so on and so on.

A lot of fans have been clamoring for a Hall of Fame for years.

Maybe now with Shero in charge we have a chance.

Fans should continue to write/email Hugh Weber and now Ray Shero asking for a Devils Hall of Fame inside The Rock.

We have a lot of players, coaches and staff that should be recognized.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
definitely would like a statue at some point. preferably one that gets struck by lightning years later, bringing it to life, running amok through the Newark streets each night. little bald statueman, with light up eyes and a good sense for business. plus after a while I bet he'd stop terrorizing the city folk, and just start pulling out a statue briefcase each night and begin filing cement until the sun rises

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

this is cool and all, it really is...but it'll basically be a group of players from 1995-2003...and then a very depressing dropoff

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
this is cool and all, it really is...but it'll basically be a group of players from 1995-2003...and then a very depressing dropoff

For a while. It's not going to stay that way forever (unless you have a really sad idea of the future).

Spread it out then add guys like Cory, Rico and other after long excellent careers.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
A lot of fans have been clamoring for a Hall of Fame for years.

Maybe now with Shero in charge we have a chance.

Fans should continue to write/email Hugh Weber and now Ray Shero asking for a Devils Hall of Fame inside The Rock.

We have a lot of players, coaches and staff that should be recognized.

Have a night celebrating each inductee and that's a nice revenue generator and opportunity to sell out dud weekday games for ownership. Just don't go over the top like certain franchises across the river.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
For a while. It's not going to stay that way forever (unless you have a really sad idea of the future).

Spread it out then add guys like Cory, Rico and other after long excellent careers.

it's already been awhile is my point :laugh: hopefully we'll get better but it could take a while (20??-2003)...it would just feel, to me, like the 95 cup anniversary thing. a fond memory, but also a swift kick in the nuts

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00