Lou Lamoriello implements his no facial hair rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
In boxing, it is common practice to NOT have sex within 24 hours of a fight, the Leafs players should be thankful LOU has not there yet.:laugh:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's is I always thought was stupid. Facial hair has ZERO to do with winning and losing you can point to his success in NJ and he had a lot but none of it had anything to do with Marty having a beard or not or Stevens having a attaché or not it had to do with having a good team.

Facial hair has NOTHING to do with having a good team.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
That's is I always thought was stupid. Facial hair has ZERO to do with winning and losing you can point to his success in NJ and he had a lot but none of it had anything to do with Marty having a beard or not or Stevens having a attaché or not it had to do with having a good team.

Facial hair has NOTHING to do with having a good team.

No but feeling a part of a team does.

Lou's rules. Suck it up buttercups.

Any player that would quit on his teammates, his contract and the crest over a vain desire to keep a beard is a player that is welcomed to be successful somewhere else.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
While the concept may perhaps be dated and certainly does not guarantee on-ice success, it should not be difficult to understand that instituting a no facial hair policy is about instilling a culture of disciplined, homogenous and rule following individuals that act and look professional on and off the ice.

I personally have no issue with this. It's a rule like any other (i.e. dress code, curfew, punctuality) intended to harbour good habits and a positive work environment. Details and philosophical consistency are important to running any organization.

Furthermore, it is also an act of solidarity. When you act and look like your teammate, you are possibly more likely to work hard for them. No different then when teams (mostly in junior) shave their heads or colour their hair before playoffs.

Arent curfew and punctuality important rules because if not followed it can harm the team?
Dress and shaving rules, i would argue , causes no harm that I know of.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Arent curfew and punctuality important rules because if not followed it can harm the team?
Dress and shaving rules, i would argue , causes no harm that I know of.

I agree. That kind of thing (no shaving) is well out of the realm of what an employer can reasonably demand of an employee.

Still, I doubt any players will do anything...

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Let's not talk about team performance here as the Yankees and Devils have been amongst their leagues' most successful teams.

The Yankees are currently being beaten out of contention by a bunch of bearded guys called the Jays and the Devils have been driven into a rebuild by a guy by the name of Lou.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Have to have a beard to look like a real player? So I suppose Lemieux, Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Beliveau, Richard, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic etc etc weren't real players because they didn't have beards? What does a real player look like? What does that constitute? I figured skates and a stick was enough.

As far as I'm concerned a player should have a choice. Shaving is a pointless exercise anyway. Lou should try some chin scruff.

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
I see many citing team unity, but I do not see how exactly it helps that? If it was team members own decision I could see, but as an order from above it eliminates any part. And about the school uniform example, I had to deal with that and I can tell you all it did was make us resent it and the moment it became volunteeringly there were suddenly none wearing it.

Another example using certain recent donation for it: What if he had been ordered/forced to do it, would you still view it same way?

Considering Toronto is already not exactly high in lists of places to play for players I bet (it sure looks like so from outside), is there really any point to add another (rather small) reason not to go there?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
mcdonald741.jpg

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
If a player doesn't come cause he likes his facial hair and doesn't want to shave that's fine, we don't want him anyways.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
This is such an arbitrary rule that I think the exact opposite rule could possibly create more team unity and help the players feel more like they are part of something bigger than themselves.

Again, it's TOTALLY arbitrary, so, here is the better rule.

Players SHOULD grow facial hair and should not shave.

See, in this way, you will have a group of players that actually look MORE different from the majority and they can feel part of something bigger than just their individual choice, since, (don't know what % of male population sports beards but bet it's small %) they would actually stand out from other teams a lot more.

Also, it'd make them look a tad more intimidating (tougher) NO?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The Yankees are currently being beaten out of contention by a bunch of bearded guys called the Jays and the Devils have been driven into a rebuild by a guy by the name of Lou.

Actually the Devils were driven into rebuild as a result of ownership decisions and while I am wearing my Jays hat right as I type, you seriously aren't going to argue against their success?

Which, really has nothing to do specifically with facial hair. It could have been anything but they have established what it means to be a Yankee and players either conform or get out.

100% fine with it.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Actually the Devils were driven into rebuild as a result of ownership decisions and while I am wearing my Jays hat right as I type, you seriously aren't going to argue against their success?

Which, really has nothing to do specifically with facial hair. It could have been anything but they have established what it means to be a Yankee and players either conform or get out.

100% fine with it.

This is correct. Success of the Yankees had nothing to do with no facial hair policy.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I see many citing team unity, but I do not see how exactly it helps that? If it was team members own decision I could see, but as an order from above it eliminates any part. And about the school uniform example, I had to deal with that and I can tell you all it did was make us resent it and the moment it became volunteeringly there were suddenly none wearing it.

Another example using certain recent donation for it: What if he had been ordered/forced to do it, would you still view it same way?

Considering Toronto is already not exactly high in lists of places to play for players I bet (it sure looks like so from outside), is there really any point to add another (rather small) reason not to go there?

Reality check… has any player walked away from Toronto as a result of this rule?

That they would prefer their own vanity over playing for the Leafs? Sounds like a player we don't need and again, it's never happened that we can tell with the Devils and in the 40 years of the Yankees having it, I'd say they've signed and traded for some pretty good players wouldn't you?

Why are we even getting into uniforms? The Leafs and virtually every other sports team implements dress codes all the time. Team issued warm up gear, track suits, dress code rules on the road, dress codes in front of media, etc. Beyond that, players from sport all over will shave their heads, grow beards, not grow beards, colour their hair,

Teams also restrict their personal freedoms as well. Room share rules, rules for dining out, charity obligations, team functions, fundraisers, scheduled media appearances, etc.

I fail to see any issue with this at all.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If a player doesn't come cause he likes his facial hair and doesn't want to shave that's fine, we don't want him anyways.

Leafs don't offer anything special anyway, so facial hair policy isn't going to have players changing their minds to go there.

If Leafs were a prime destination players would put up with nitpicking, but it isn't so this is just another negative. Yes, it is a negative because it goes beyond performance and commitment into personal taste and life outside of hockey. You can change out of a suit when you get home, you can't put your hair back on.

I've worked for a-holes before, you put up with it until something else comes around and I've turned down jobs for the same reason. Hockey players are people, not chattel.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This is correct. Success of the Yankees had nothing to do with no facial hair policy.

Agreed. It has everything to do with having a great group of players… who signed despite the facial hair policy apparently… and playing together as a team.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Leafs don't offer anything special anyway, so facial hair policy isn't going to have players changing their minds.

If Leafs were a prime destination players would put up with nitpicking, but it isn't so this is just another negative. Yes, it is a negative because it goes beyond performance and commitment into personal taste and life outside of hockey. You can change out of a suit when you get home, you can't put your hair back on.

I've worked for a-holes before, you put up with it until something else comes around and I've turned down jobs for the same reason. Hockey players are people, not chattel.

So you think this is the only team in the NHL that will get into personal taste and life outside of hockey?

So teams won't have social media policies? Rookies won't be billeted at the NHL level? They won't be told what to eat, when to eat it and how to exercise? They won't have "moral" clauses in their contracts? They won't be told when to show up at charity events? They won't be paired up with veterans on the road?

And the coup de gras, they won't be suspended for off ice issues?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This is such an arbitrary rule that I think the exact opposite rule could possibly create more team unity and help the players feel more like they are part of something bigger than themselves.

Again, it's TOTALLY arbitrary, so, here is the better rule.

Players SHOULD grow facial hair and should not shave.

See, in this way, you will have a group of players that actually look MORE different from the majority and they can feel part of something bigger than just their individual choice, since, (don't know what % of male population sports beards but bet it's small %) they would actually stand out from other teams a lot more.

Also, it'd make them look a tad more intimidating (tougher) NO?

This is fine too. Everyone grows it. Everyone doesn't grow it.

The point isn't pro vs anti-shaving. It's about doing something as a team. They could force guys to colour their hair blue for all I care.

Whatever it is, it's what the managers have decided that being a Leaf means.

Good for them.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
So you think this is the only team in the NHL that will get into personal taste and life outside of hockey?

So teams won't have social media policies? Rookies won't be billeted at the NHL level? They won't be told what to eat, when to eat it and how to exercise? They won't have "moral" clauses in their contracts? They won't be told when to show up at charity events? They won't be paired up with veterans on the road?

Someone gets it..

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That they would prefer their own vanity over playing for the Leafs? Sounds like a player we don't need and again, it's never happened that we can tell with the Devils and in the 40 years of the Yankees having it, I'd say they've signed and traded for some pretty good players wouldn't you?

Why are we even getting into uniforms? The Leafs and virtually every other sports team implements dress codes all the time. Team issued warm up gear, track suits, dress code rules on the road, dress codes in front of media, etc. Beyond that, players from sport all over will shave their heads, grow beards, not grow beards, colour their hair,

Teams also restrict their personal freedoms as well. Room share rules, rules for dining out, charity obligations, team functions, fundraisers, scheduled media appearances, etc.

I fail to see any issue with this at all.

Do you think the Yankees budget has something to do with it? Yes obviously!!!!

Leafs cap is the same as the poorest and richest in the league, they have no advantage.
http://deadspin.com/2015-payrolls-and-salaries-for-every-mlb-team-1695040045

I doubt very much teams control as much as you are stating, to start with the players have collective bargaining agreement with a union, and a salary cap. Teams have to operate under the rules of that agreement.

On the road is different as they are on team time, at home the players are not on team time and curfew is unenforceable and anyone who thinks the team has private eyes following every player, making sure they are tucked in at whatever time Lou thinks is appropriate is misinformed.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
that's just...weird. What does facial hair matter if the team does well?

Wearing a shirt and tie on game days? I understand
The coach setting curfews for players? I understand especially for the younger guys
Having a set time that players have to be at a rink for practice, training camp etc? I understand

If the Leafs end up doing well and make the playoffs this year... it won't be because of this "no facial hair" rule

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Obviously, they won't be told what and when to eat.

They'll be educated on nutrition, it is up to them to follow proper nutrition guidelines.

What do you think would be in a morality clause, who they can sleep with? Or they won't break laws, or bring disrespect to the league.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Although I probably would have rolled my eyes over a rule like this when I was young, I still find the strong reactions to this head scratching. When it comes down to it, this is about the team over the individual. In a market like Toronto where it's very easy to get a swollen head being surrounded by an endless supply of fawning sycophants, stricter rules probably make more sense as a reminder of your employer's goals. A player taking a stand over something like this that in the end is trivial is only doing the team a favour in helping management cull the herd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad