Online Series: Lost in Space reboot--Released!

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Only watched the first episode so far.

I think they've got the plot and storytelling pretty well down. Characters? ehhhhh. I hope they actually explain why everyone (except Will) seems to have issues with John at some point, cause otherwise it's just mean :laugh:. When John said to Will something along the lines of how they force you to train at what you're good at, I'm sort of curious as to what the middle daughter's skill is because she just sort of seemed to be there.

Reasonably enjoyable, kind of reminded me of early episodes of SG-1 complete with musical flourishes :laugh:

I didn't really understand how the robot reformed itself though when it was split it half. Obviously it can change shapes but it looked more like it was busted and had wires hanging out.

If you want a good laugh read the Netflix reviews, like half of them are people complaining about the science of the show. Errr, y'all know this is LOST IN SPACE and not a hard scifi novel right? Apparently not.

I didn't understand that part either.

And I thought it was kind of mean the little jerk kid cut the branch to make the robot fall down :laugh:

Reactions: Kelly

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
How comparable is this to Earth 2?

I sorta got an Earth 2 vibe out of seeing trailer for this

God that was a great show that only lasted one year

Never was fan of original series

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
2 Eps down. Still meh. Seems more like a scifi show directed for young teens. I'm still giving it a few more eps.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Watched first episode. Sort of has a teenage-series vibe to me. Will try few more episodes but I might end up dropping the show if it doesn't pick up.

One thing that bugged me way too much was how quickly the water turned to ice but somehow it also rained. What's up with that? It's -40 (and nobody is wearing hat either) and the girl gets stuck on frozen water but it still rains?

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I watched 3 episodes last night. The acting is good. The extended storyline was well thought out. They gave women stronger roles/characters than the originals, it's a bit darker, both attributes inherent to the 21st century I suppose. But it could have used a Joss Whedon at the wheel directing, the episode scripts have plotholes. It's ok for a budget production. You can tell the production crew and actors are doing the best with the limited resources. Come to think of it, the original series and movie weren't really slick productions either, so this is pretty much par for the space Robinsons. I won't be too critical.

It's not a slick high-budget production. I will adjust my expectations accordingly. I will continue watching over time but it won't be an addictive binge.

Last edited:

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
2 episodes in, while not great by any means, I will say my kids are hooked. This is the first show since Lemony Snickets that they ask to keep watching.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I gave up on it. It’s target audience are young kids and I just cant get into how cheesey everything is.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Just started episode 9.

If you take the show for what it is, it's decent. Really enjoy galactic shows/movies and have had some time off so I've binged it and enjoyed it.

Mechanic is my favorite character, I think he's hilarious.

Will is dumb af, especially with what happened last episode. The villain is super annoying too.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'm at the fourth episode and so far I like it enough to continue on to see where the story goes. The FX are nice which is always great to see on a "tv show".

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Finished it last night. Definitely not a "kids show" because there's s-bombs in the early episodes and of course Maureen's reaction to what's behind the planet's sun. :laugh: Parker Posey did a gret job by making "Dr Smith" so hateable, yet a very complex character. Will had one giant "stupid kid" moment but otherwise he was a smart kid and made key discovery at the end. Disappointed at the use of robot, thought he could've been used more. Great production values for a tv series when it comes to visuals. I'm watching the final seaso nof Black Sails now so Toby Stephens was a bit odd to see and hear in this. Cliffhanger ending so I guess there'll be a second season.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Finished watching this. I rather enjoyed it. Not amazing but solid overall show.

Upon reading the reviews most of the problems people saw was with the villian, the fake Dr. Smith. Yes she was unlikable that was the point. Reviewers are criticizing her for "being evil for evil's sake" which makes no sense for me. I never once thought she was even "evil". She a narcissistic compulsive liar. A very realistic portrayal of a villian, albeit a little too on the nose when she herself points out how she sees herself as the hero of the story (we get that's what you were going for writers, they didn't need to highlight it). 24 months ago I'd be flabbergasted asking how those reviewers have never met a person like that, but now everyone "knows" of someone exactly like that.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Finished it last night. Definitely not a "kids show" because there's s-bombs in the early episodes and of course Maureen's reaction to what's behind the planet's sun. :laugh: Parker Posey did a gret job by making "Dr Smith" so hateable, yet a very complex character. Will had one giant "stupid kid" moment but otherwise he was a smart kid and made key discovery at the end. Disappointed at the use of robot, thought he could've been used more. Great production values for a tv series when it comes to visuals. I'm watching the final seaso nof Black Sails now so Toby Stephens was a bit odd to see and hear in this. Cliffhanger ending so I guess there'll be a second season.
The show was rated TV PG. That is for young teens..kids. No not "barney" kids.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Finished watching this. I rather enjoyed it. Not amazing but solid overall show.

Upon reading the reviews most of the problems people saw was with the villian, the fake Dr. Smith. Yes she was unlikable that was the point. Reviewers are criticizing her for "being evil for evil's sake" which makes no sense for me. I never once thought she was even "evil". She a narcissistic compulsive liar. A very realistic portrayal of a villian, albeit a little too on the nose when she herself points out how she sees herself as the hero of the story (we get that's what you were going for writers, they didn't need to highlight it). 24 months ago I'd be flabbergasted asking how those reviewers have never met a person like that, but now everyone "knows" of someone exactly like that.

I guess it's hard to believe she (and at least one other) managed to make it on the ship. Did they not do basic visual checks? They're just a nuisance and they take away from the rest of the show. I'm halfway through and I think the longer things have gone on, the weaker the show has become. The 'fake' Dr. Smith in this show feels more like a distraction for writers not being able to come up with something more compelling.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I guess it's hard to believe she (and at least one other) managed to make it on the ship. Did they not do basic visual checks? They're just a nuisance and they take away from the rest of the show. I'm halfway through and I think the longer things have gone on, the weaker the show has become. The 'fake' Dr. Smith in this show feels more like a distraction for writers not being able to come up with something more compelling.

You know I'll have to rewatch but I do think that they kinda glazed over that aspect of it. I do agree that her making it on was a bit convenient, but I don't consider it a super big point. I mean at first it all seems super organized but we begin to see many cracks in the colonization (from the mother getting her son on, to Don West "business", etc) to the point where the whole thing seems pretty corrupt so there's that.

I'm not a particular big fan of her as she is frustrating (which admittedly is realistic with people like that) but she's not terrible I think she does pick up a bit near the end. The worst problem I had with her wasn't even on her. It was the lack of communication between the other characters at times so she got away free, or they just didn't have the info they needed to make decisions when that info should have been relayed easily. It's a lazy approach to writing that drives me nuts.

Overall though she isn't nearly as bad as she is made out to be though. I thought the ending sequence with her in the final two episodes was fairly solid.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched the first two episodes last night. I like it. It's better than I feared from some of the impressions here.

It's in no way a "kids" or "teen" show. It's just a show that a family can watch together, including kids and teens. There are scenes that highlight and character build Will and his teenage sister, and those might not appeal as much to all adults, but there are just as many scenes that highlight and flesh out the adults, too. There's a little something for all ages (well, ages 8 to 50, at least). There's also quite a bit of darkness in the story, with mistrust, secrets, lies, double crossing and more, as well as a number of scary scenes.

I'm impressed by the production values, including the sets and CGI. It looks as good as Star Trek: Discovery to me... maybe even a little better (and the writing is definitely better).

I have some nitpicks (with the internal family drama, very slight cheesiness now and then and questionable science), but they're not enough to spoil my excitement to continue watching.

Last edited:

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
Does the 2nd episode get significantly better after the 1st ep??

i'm having a hard time pushing through...the kid just fell in the whole, frozen girl is being read moby dick...

its pretty boring so far

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Yes it gets better.

Its not a rip roaring action series though. There's lots of pseudo science stuff, where Will is a more likeable Wesley Crusher.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes it gets better.

Its not a rip roaring action series though. There's lots of pseudo science stuff, where Will is a more likeable Wesley Crusher.

I'd say apart from one moment of stupidity, Will is fairly likeable.

Other family members become more likeable as well the longer the show goes. Penny is probably the most likeable as in not acting too predictably at all (especially when it comes to a certain boy : laugh: ). There are moments (character building/development) in the later episodes which seem dullish but once they get through those arcs, you'll sort of understand the point.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch67

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I actually liked the Penny character, she's basically the dumbest member of that family and makes up for it by being pretty caustic.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How comparable is this to Earth 2?

I don't remember much about Earth 2, but the premise of human colonists being scattered across an unknown planet is similar. The focus is firmly on one family, though. I think that, if you liked Earth 2, you might like this show, as well.

I actually liked the Penny character, she's basically the dumbest member of that family and makes up for it by being pretty caustic.

Penny reminds me a bit of Sansa Stark in appearance, relative lack of skills (or just hesitance to do work) and existing to appeal to teenage viewers. I like her a lot better, though, because she has personality, is funny and is actually given more to do in two episodes than Sansa had in the first two seasons.

As for Parker Posey's character, she's so evil. I like her!

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The lake freezing over in under a minute really pissed me off. Outside of that though it's ok.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
You know I'll have to rewatch but I do think that they kinda glazed over that aspect of it. I do agree that her making it on was a bit convenient, but I don't consider it a super big point. I mean at first it all seems super organized but we begin to see many cracks in the colonization (from the mother getting her son on, to Don West "business", etc) to the point where the whole thing seems pretty corrupt so there's that.

I'm not a particular big fan of her as she is frustrating (which admittedly is realistic with people like that) but she's not terrible I think she does pick up a bit near the end. The worst problem I had with her wasn't even on her. It was the lack of communication between the other characters at times so she got away free, or they just didn't have the info they needed to make decisions when that info should have been relayed easily. It's a lazy approach to writing that drives me nuts.

Overall though she isn't nearly as bad as she is made out to be though. I thought the ending sequence with her in the final two episodes was fairly solid.

Maybe I got the wrong impression but I thought these people were supposed to be useful and relatively 'famous'. If you wanted to bring your family and they proved they could meet a certain minimum standard, they could go.

So I just assumed this would be a relatively elite group of people and an established psychiatrist with what looked like an amazing office would be recognized by someone.

Whereas changing the test scores for your son might be a little easier because he's not famous, he's not the reason that family is on the ship and he's not a different person. Someone hacked his test scores to pass him. That actually brings up something else that bothers me: some unknown entity can hack a test score into this program but he/she can't get information out of that program without blackmail? You would think the testing would be secure if the program development is secure.

I might be nitpicking at this point though. My main problem with the show is the fake Dr. annoyed me and I haven't picked it up since.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00