Online Series: Lost in Space reboot--Released!

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Lost In Space was one of my favorite shows as a kid.
This series is definitely different in ways, but I still enjoyed it.
Hope it gets a Season 2.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I'm glad they brought back Bill Mummy for a bit. He's a critically underrated character actor, and probably the primary character in the original.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lost In Space was one of my favorite shows as a kid.
This series is definitely different in ways, but I still enjoyed it.
Hope it gets a Season 2.

It's really really rare for a netflix series not to get at least a 2nd season. Very few have been cancelled and those that have have generally been because the creators did not want to continue or after 2/3 or more seasons.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Loving the robot, easily the best part of the show.

Not sure how there's an intact forest on a planet that has litteral razor rain.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Not sure how there's an intact forest on a planet that has litteral razor rain.

Apparently, that's the least of the problems for the planet's life. In Episode 6...

...we learn that life on the planet largely gets wiped out once a year or so. The humans can't live through it and the trees seemingly can't, either, since the scientist notes that the trees all have only one ring. Somehow, whatever survives is able to grow, spread and evolve into what we see in under a year. The trees must grow as fast as bamboo and I have no idea about the wildlife. Those huge, terrifying creatures that we see either survive the cataclysm or evolve from simpler organisms in less than a year (instead of millions of years). It's all extremely questionable, science-wise, but it's an unknown planet in an unknown galaxy, and who knows what strange worlds are out there, so some leniency for the fiction half of sci-fi is probably called for.

Speaking of that, I can accept the notion that water freezes over in seconds on this planet, since there could be something different about it, like having exotic minerals in it or being super-cooled, so that a chain reaction can occur (like that trick with the water bottle that instantly freezes when you send a shock wave through it). The issue for me is more that the Earth scientists, 10 minutes after stepping onto the strange planet, seemed to know that the water would freeze that quickly at some point in the near future. It probably would've been more realistic and dramatic if they had thought that they had more time and were suddenly shocked and horrified to see it freeze much earlier and faster than they expected. That would've sent a strong "you're not in Kansas anymore" message right off of the bat.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
The bottom line is most sci fi shows would be incredibly boring if they followed the actual science

"Hey get out of the water its turning to ice"

"How long to I have? "

"About 2 hours, and it will mostly just be slush as long as you keep moving"

"Got it, I'll go get the frozen meat loaf out of the fridge and change my cell phone"

Or

"Admiral we've detected the enemy fleet on our long range sensers"

"How long til they get here"

"About 5 years sir"

"I'll be in my bunk"

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
it was a good reboot, but damn did that kid piss the hell out of me...so many stupid decisions Will made, my kids hated him lol!

also, Dr Smith just seemingly everywhere in the right spot, gaining access to everything including Will's room, yet nobody bats an eye...sorry they took her role way too far and lost belief a number of times.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finished it last night. I liked it. It's good sci-fi and felt worthy of being called Lost in Space. Also, the final episode felt satisfyingly like a finale, almost like a mini movie, which was refreshing, because a lot of season finales end up being a little underwhelming.

Overall, I'd say that the writing was good, but probably the show's biggest weakness is that, at times, the characters do stupid things just so that the writers can push the story forward or develop a character. One ridiculous one in the final episode is...
...when Don gets a flake in his eye and suddenly can't see at all, even though he has two eyes and the ability to open one and not the other. It's blatant that the writers wanted to 1) create some drama while John and Don were alone and 2) have an emotional bonding moment between them and couldn't think of any better way to achieve it than "I have something in my eye." It successfully achieved both of those things, so it's not stupid and pointless, but it is stupid.
There are actually quite a few things like that throughout the series, where good drama was created, but you just wish that the writers could've thought of a more clever, less-stupid way of achieving it.

In the end, though, there was a lot more good than bad. I never got tired of watching it and I'm excited for a possible second season (which isn't confirmed yet, but was suggested by how the season ended). It's also very nice to have a high-quality sci-fi show that's actually good.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I finished it last night. I liked it. It's good sci-fi and felt worthy of being called Lost in Space. Also, the final episode felt satisfyingly like a finale, almost like a mini movie, which was refreshing, because a lot of season finales end up being a little underwhelming.

Overall, I'd say that the writing was good, but probably the show's biggest weakness is that, at times, the characters do stupid things just so that the writers can push the story forward or develop a character. One ridiculous one in the final episode is...
...when Don gets a flake in his eye and suddenly can't see at all, even though he has two eyes and the ability to open one and not the other. It's blatant that the writers wanted to 1) create some drama while John and Don were alone and 2) have an emotional bonding moment between them and couldn't think of any better way to achieve it than "I have something in my eye." It successfully achieved both of those things, so it's not stupid and pointless, but it is stupid.
There are actually quite a few things like that throughout the series, where good drama was created, but you just wish that the writers could've thought of a more clever, less-stupid way of achieving it.

In the end, though, there was a lot more good than bad. I never got tired of watching it and I'm excited for a possible second season (which isn't confirmed yet, but was suggested by how the season ended). It's also very nice to have a high-quality sci-fi show that's actually good.

He got some gas or something in his BOTH eyes.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He got some gas or something in his BOTH eyes.

I believe that it was originally gas, but John suggested that it had turned solid and flaked off and a flake got in his eye. I just find it hard to believe that a large enough flake went into each of his eyes, especially since there's a reflex to close both eyes when something gets into either of them, preventing more from getting in.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It was the anti-fogging agent that turned solid and got in to his eyes.

Out of the all the things I had problems with, this doesn't register as one.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Just finished this up and thought it was great. Some of the characters were individually annoying but they played off each other well. Loved the robot.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Season 2 just dropped on Netflix!!! :eek:

I'm surprised because I wasn't even aware that it was picked up for a 2nd season. In fact, I thought about it again just the other day and wondered if it was ever going to be. Thanks for the notice. I'll watch it as soon as I get back from holiday traveling.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm surprised because I wasn't even aware that it was picked up for a 2nd season. In fact, I thought about it again just the other day and wondered if it was ever going to be. Thanks for the notice. I'll watch it as soon as I get back from holiday traveling.
It's been popular and it's a good show, it was announced not long after the 1st season that the 2nd was going to be made. I believe it was literally the next month after its release that it was renewed for a 2nd season.

I like it, it's a great show, I just don't like how they keep doing the "save the robot" thing.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's been popular and it's a good show, it was announced not long after the 1st season that the 2nd was going to be made. I believe it was literally the next month after its release that it was renewed for a 2nd season.

I think that I knew that, since I was looking forward to a 2nd season, but it had been so long that I forgot. Also, I hadn't heard anything since then.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Just binged Season 1 over the last few days. I really enjoyed the storyline. There is a ton to nitpick if you really want to but it was a fun ride overall. Only real negative for me is Parker Posey, she is not a very good actor at all and detracts from a great show.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Just finished season 2. it was a fun ride and very well presented. Again a ton of stuff you could nitpick and in the back half of the season there are a lot of plot holes but yet again it was an entertaining season. cant wait for the next one.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I liked season 2 more than the first. Great production values and the chemistry between the cast has reached a level where you feel like you're watching a family. Some sci-fi things that you might pick on (like why didn't Judy use a horse on that planet on the way to her father?) but I can't remember the last "family friendly sci-fi" that was this enjoyable. Seemed everyone's acting had also improved.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00