Post-Game Talk: Loss

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Even knowing it's a bad use of resources, I just want Sheahan waived at this point. It's not his fault Blash isn't smart enough to keep him off the ice in critical situations, and it's not his fault that he has at least 30% too much ice time, but I'd rather the option just be taken away from Blashill entirely.

If we're going to lose anyway, I guess I'd rather it be because AA was a little too reckless trying to make something happen, or because Mantha or Larkin made a 'rookie' mistake, rather than because guys like Sheahan are offensive black holes.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's actually true. We have so many bad contracts. We have so many fringe NHL players, and mediocre guys that are tied up long term. What a disaster. Kenny is ridiculously loyal and is nowhere near ruthless enough.
We have almost no fringe NHLers. Coreau and maybe Sproul/Jensen.. that's about it.
I'm convinced that anyone who complains about a guy like Glendening has literally zero understanding of hockey and why this team is struggling.

Being "ruthless" doesn't magically turn Glendening/Marchenko/Sheahan into superstars.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Hahaha

Some of the names on that list make me chuckle. Hilarious how you found stats on this. How did you even find this? I know NHL.com has a wide range of stats, but this seems so obscure..

Yeah, he's actually worse than Ville Leino. That's a high level of suck

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
-HOW DO YOU NOT EVEN GET A SHOT ON A 5-on-3 FOR A MINUTE THIRTY?
Wait, it gets worse. This was against a defense that features a guy that was so bad, WE didn’t even want him!
And, TWO shorties!
Yet here in Grand Rapids, the Griffins have the #1 PP in the AHL.
Therin would seem to be the solution. We have not had an effective power play for years here, even under Babcock. If Nelson can fix only this, he’s worth a shot.

Armstrong had the guts to fire Hitchcock in his farewell year, it’s time for the complacent pile of upper management lumps in this organization to actually earn their keep and make the tough decisions.

Last edited:

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
We have almost no fringe NHLers. Coreau and maybe Sproul/Jensen.. that's about it.
I'm convinced that anyone who complains about a guy like Glendening has literally zero understanding of hockey and why this team is struggling.

Being "ruthless" doesn't magically turn Glendening/Marchenko/Sheahan into superstars.

I think people are more upset with the way Glendening gets used rather then being upset with Glendening himself. When he plays his role as an agitating grinding penalty killer on the 4th line hes great, but we all know how Blashills player management goes sometimes.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think people are more upset with the way Glendening gets used rather then being upset with Glendening himself. When he plays his role as an agitating grinding penalty killer on the 4th line hes great, but we all know how Blashills player management goes sometimes.
Agreed. Whether it's Glendening/Sheahan up front, or DDK on the back end, it's much more where they're slotted than the individual players (IMO).

A team without a core tends to look hollow.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
matt shepard gets it. loving that the media is finally waking up to the fact that red wings management is among the worst in the league right now

http://wdfn.iheart.com/onair/matt-shepard-4803/sheps-take-disgusted-15525514/

This "What's more disturbing is that there are members of this team who are under-performing and yet there are no repercussions for their poor play.

How can Jonathan Ericsson suit up every night and average the third most minutes with his consistent bad play?

How can Riley Sheahan be a healthy scratch just once when he has yet to score and is a whopping minus 17?"

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can we fire Blashill already and be done with it, It's obvious this team wont play for him.

Ride it out and find someone new in the summer. There's better candidates then anyways.

It's such a long shot making the playoffs at this point that firing him right now makes no sense. All we'd due is potentially ruin our draft position.

Aug 6, 2012
As sad as this is the draft is going to be super exciting! Just wish we could fast forward to the 2018 draft...

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Can we fire Blashill already and be done with it, It's obvious this team wont play for him.

This team couldn't win under Bowman. This team is hilariously untalented.

And lets say this is all Blashill's fault. I don't think it is, but lets say it is. If they fire him and hire someone who can actually coach this dumpster fire team, what then? They are almost statistically eliminated from the playoffs. All winning a bit more gets them is a worse draft pick.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This team couldn't win under Bowman. This team is hilariously untalented.

And lets say this is all Blashill's fault. I don't think it is, but lets say it is. If they fire him and hire someone who can actually coach this dumpster fire team, what then? They are almost statistically eliminated from the playoffs. All winning a bit more gets them is a worse draft pick.
I don't know about the Bowman angle, but I definitely agre with the bolded part. Even worse would be to win just enough that they're tempted to buy at the deadline, and the can gets kicked down the road yet again.

At this point, keep the losses coming, play the kids, and focus on the expansion draft, the lottery, and next season in the new arena.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't know about the Bowman angle, but I definitely agre with the bolded part. Even worse would be to win just enough that they're tempted to buy at the deadline, and the can gets kicked down the road yet again.

At this point, keep the losses coming, play the kids, and focus on the expansion draft, the lottery, and next season in the new arena.

This team lacks so many key elements that I doubt even perfect strategy would be enough to really elevate them. You can plan all you want, this team is the nexus of uninspired and untalented that makes even best laid plans look like ****.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Imo Glendening's usage has been fine this year. 12th in ES TOI/GP, right where he should be.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
This team has no reaction to it. By that, I mean that when we do **** that doesn't work, we never adjust. Our strategy never changes. It's annoying as ****.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Agreed, even under babcock making the playoffs it was always the same headscratching line combo's and TOI that just left one pondering WTF

I get the team is doing bad but a guy with 0 goals past the halfway point of the season on the power play. That is like incompetence on top of failure, come on.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Pretty much anything Blashill has decided to do has proven to be stupid for the most part. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Sheahan out towards the end....really? When you are in need of a goal, put the guy on the ice that has zero goals for the year...only Blashill...:shakehead

Blashill has resorted to playing law of averages. Sheahan has to score sometime......or does he?

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
That was one of the worst games I have ever watched the Redwings play in my 25 years of watching them. So unorganized, uninspired, understaffed, undercoached....

I hope they clean house and I mean at the top. Fire all the coaches, and get rid of Holland.

I would rather start over and watch my team lose most nights (which I will) knowing that at least they recognize what they are. I'm all aboard the tank train. Not that we are actively trying to tank at this point. They are honestly just that bad. I am perfectly fine with them being bad for a 3-5 years if that means they will at some point be a real hockey team again. Trade Vanek, Trade Green. Trade everyone not named Larkin or Mantha for futures. The only people I noticed in a positive way during the game was Green and Mantha.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Even knowing it's a bad use of resources, I just want Sheahan waived at this point. It's not his fault Blash isn't smart enough to keep him off the ice in critical situations, and it's not his fault that he has at least 30% too much ice time, but I'd rather the option just be taken away from Blashill entirely.

If we're going to lose anyway, I guess I'd rather it be because AA was a little too reckless trying to make something happen, or because Mantha or Larkin made a 'rookie' mistake, rather than because guys like Sheahan are offensive black holes.

You're right it's a bad use of resources. He should be played commensurate with his production. If he can't beat out the Millers and Otts of the world, then he should be traded or dumped. He is an immense disappoint, added to this list

chris05

May 23, 2013
Pretty much anything Blashill has decided to do has proven to be stupid for the most part. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Sheahan out towards the end....really? When you are in need of a goal, put the guy on the ice that has zero goals for the year...only Blashill...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only a coach who has no feel for the game would pull a bonehead move like that.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Pretty much anything Blashill has decided to do has proven to be stupid for the most part. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Sheahan out towards the end....really? When you are in need of a goal, put the guy on the ice that has zero goals for the year...only Blashill...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only a coach who has no feel for the game would pull a bonehead move like that.

Or maybe Blashill is trying to show the GM that this team needs scoring and D?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad