Post-Game Talk: Loss

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Soup guru Remember when Larkin led the league in plus minus? Yeah. I don't think being dead last is bad. Especially when he gets no scoring help and goals are allowed left and right

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If only those other pesky cellar dwellars would cooperate, and start winning more games.

Oh well. At least Mantha and Vanek notched a point. Good for the future, and good for the trade deadline.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I've heard people ask "why do you watch?" a few times recently.

Personally it's still an NHL game, as low-caliber as the Wings may be. You get a good look at other teams and their stars there's always that. Detroit- I don't hate any of them and several I find worth following. You grow so accustomed to scouting our players and following along it really isn't about wins and losses. Also watching other games from around the league somehow make the Wings more tolerable if that makes any sense.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Soup guru Remember when Larkin led the league in plus minus? Yeah. I don't think being dead last is bad. Especially when he gets no scoring help and goals are allowed left and right

I never understood this argument when it comes to plus/minus. "This guy's plus/minus is awful but it wouldn't be so bad if his teammates were better!"

His teammates are better. Well, better at keeping the puck out and/or putting the puck in the net. That's what plus/minus measures.

I'm not saying Larkin sucks or that he has no future. I think his future is pretty bright but right now he's not playing good hockey at all and he's got to put some serious work into his game if he wants to get to the next level.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I never understood this argument when it comes to plus/minus. "This guy's plus/minus is awful but it wouldn't be so bad if his teammates were better!"

His teammates are better. Well, better at keeping the puck out and/or putting the puck in the net. That's what plus/minus measures.

I'm not saying Larkin sucks or that he has no future. I think his future is pretty bright but right now he's not playing good hockey at all and he's got to put some serious work into his game if he wants to get to the next level.

I'm not even gonna touch the first part. Cause that made no sense. I literally said he led at plus minus one time. But was he the best defensive forward on the team? Nope

I'm not saying he's playing amazing. He can play better. But he's good at dfence

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I am quite happy with these losses. The farther from the playoffs this team gets by the deadline the better. We may finally get an actual rebuild and a focus on young players and complimentary players.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
From the game thread:

Yup even Hasek sucked for Buffalo for a season or two before he turned it around. He had a season like this.

A fact check on this shows this as false. Dom posted below .900 in 20 game as a backup to Ed Belfour, true. Then he posted another sub-.900 season in 28 games for Buffalo. OK, so his first 50 games were a little whatever.

Then in his first full season as a starter? 58 games played, 30 wins, 1.95 GAA, and a .930 SV%. Oh, and 7 shutouts. He never looked back after that. Incredible numbers throughout.

Mrazek had 94 NHL games before this season. He can bounce back, and holy hell does this team need it, but this isn't like Hasek's learning curve at all. Soon as Hasek got a full workload, he ran with it to a Hall of Fame career.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mrazek is beyond awful. People can say what they will about the defense and deflections, but the guy's stats speak for themselves. He's leaky as hell this year. Everything goes in. I called the 5-2 loss, this team is predictable like that. But just once it would be nice if Mrazek could steal a game like this, or give the team a chance by not allowing the first goal or 3+ every game.

Last 10 games this team could have put together a decent record. They haven't been terrible. Mantha's been a beast, AA's turned it on, Nyquist and Tatar both show a bit more life, Vanek and Z continue to produce.. there's a lot to like on the forward side.

Before the season I thought our goaltending was the one thing that was definitely going to stop us from getting a top 5 pick. Never in a million years did I expect Mrazek to be the worst goalie in the NHL. Howard's injury was the final nail in the coffin this year.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
We either play red hot teams or the desperate ones.

A first game at home after a Rode trip vs the team we struggle to beat.
6-1 loss or 3-2 win.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008

Member when he played with Zetterberg last year all season. Yeah me too.:laugh:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
From the game thread:

A fact check on this shows this as false. Dom posted below .900 in 20 game as a backup to Ed Belfour, true. Then he posted another sub-.900 season in 28 games for Buffalo. OK, so his first 50 games were a little whatever.

Then in his first full season as a starter? 58 games played, 30 wins, 1.95 GAA, and a .930 SV%. Oh, and 7 shutouts. He never looked back after that. Incredible numbers throughout.

Mrazek had 94 NHL games before this season. He can bounce back, and holy hell does this team need it, but this isn't like Hasek's learning curve at all. Soon as Hasek got a full workload, he ran with it to a Hall of Fame career.

But Mrazek was barely a starter and he's not this year. Who knows maybe this will be his "backup Hasek year in Buffalo." And next year he'll turn it around.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
good

boys this DRW team isnt a playoff team

it neither deserves to be or has earned the right to be

every loss is a step in the right direction so long as KH dosent deliberately screw it up by;
a) not selling at the TDL
b) mortgaging our future by trying to buy veterans using picks and prospects at the TDL

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Mrazek is beyond awful. People can say what they will about the defense and deflections, but the guy's stats speak for themselves. He's leaky as hell this year. Everything goes in. I called the 5-2 loss, this team is predictable like that. But just once it would be nice if Mrazek could steal a game like this, or give the team a chance by not allowing the first goal or 3+ every game.

Last 10 games this team could have put together a decent record. They haven't been terrible. Mantha's been a beast, AA's turned it on, Nyquist and Tatar both show a bit more life, Vanek and Z continue to produce.. there's a lot to like on the forward side.

Before the season I thought our goaltending was the one thing that was definitely going to stop us from getting a top 5 pick. Never in a million years did I expect Mrazek to be the worst goalie in the NHL. Howard's injury was the final nail in the coffin this year.

Mrazek's stats are awful, but the stats ignore the situation on the ice, specifically the people who are walking away with minuses after the goals are scored. I think that because it is so patently obvious how bad our defense is, people have started to ignore the culpability of our skaters and their floundering efforts in the defensive zone of late. So many of these skaters just stand around and watch the play, and some of the worst offenders (i.e. Jonathan "Pretty Boy McPylon") ignore their assignments entirely. Defense, and by association goaltending, is a team effort, what we are seeing here is a failure as a team to improve upon their efforts. I honestly can't say for sure, but maybe it's the goal light that grabs the attention of people and re-focuses their attention in the goalie's direction, people are drawn to bright, shiny things after all. :dunno:

It will be interesting to see how Howard plays when he returns from his injury, and how people dissect his play if/when he isn't as sharp as people's absurdly high expectations of him. This team's struggle to eke out a win or two isn't something you can pin entirely on Mrazek, just as the team's victories while Howard was in net aren't entirely attributable to him. WHEN/IF the majority of the team decides to pull their heads out of their butts enough to field a game that is fundamentally solid enough in both offensive and defensive efforts, then and only then are they giving the goalie something to work with.

It would take a Herculean effort for a goalie to pull this team into the playoffs, and it would require a phenom like Price to do the trick. Expecting any of our goalies to walk on water (not the usual frozen variety) to carry this team to the promised land is more than a little unrealistic at this point.

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Mrazek's stats are awful, but the stats ignore the situation on the ice, specifically the people who are walking away with minuses after the goals are scored. I think that because it is so patently obvious how bad our defense is, people have started to ignore the culpability of our skaters and their floundering efforts in the defensive zone of late.

Which defense has Howard been playing behind all season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad