Post-Game Talk: Loss. - Predators vs Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I just don't think we should break up Grimaldi-Bonino-Smith after their performance last game. Give them another look and see if it was a one off performance or if there is real chemistry there.
It's a one off. Those players together will be good but nothing especially dangerous every game.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It's a one off. Those players together will be good but nothing especially dangerous every game.

Obviously not expecting three goals every game (or even one), but I think they can be a good forechecking line which could be hugely helpful. Just don't see any reason to break them up at the moment.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Obviously not expecting three goals every game (or even one), but I think they can be a good forechecking line which could be hugely helpful. Just don't see any reason to break them up at the moment.
Turris with Sissons and Watson isn't going to give you much offense either so at some point you have to put Bonino with the heavier grinder bodies that can also forecheck and have Turris with the quicker puck possession shooters. S-B-W will get the points and goals you would expect while together and G-T-S should get significantly more but mixing them up will result in lower point totals for everyone overall. All while having a jumbled mess of identity on those two lines.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Turris with Sissons and Watson isn't going to give you much offense either so at some point you have to put Bonino with the heavier grinder bodies that can also forecheck and have Turris with the quicker puck possession shooters. S-B-W will get the points and goals you would expect while together and G-T-S should get significantly more but mixing them up will result in lower point totals for everyone overall. All while having a jumbled mess of identity on those two lines.

That's all assumption and you don't know how those lines will play out until you try it. I'm not saying these have to be our lines for the rest of the season, but when a line had instant chemistry and scored three goals the game before I see no reason to break them up just because other line combinations are better in principle.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Right now our bottom six is a who the hell is going to step up jumble of humanoids. Sissons has shown the occasional game of offensive output ... Watson can step up from time to time ... those two plus Turris could explode on a given night but I wouldn't want to bet on which night its going to be. Hell, I wouldn't have put money on Bones and Grimaldi racking up so many points last game.

That's the thing this season, we're not dependent upon JOFA for points. Any line, and 2 of 3 defensive pairings, can break out and score on any given night. This team scored 33 PP goals last season ... 9 so far in 11 games this season. If the 2nd PP unit can keep scoring then Turris will continue to get points even if he's spending ES time with Watson and Sissons.

Reactions: Aardvarksson

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think we all know what kind of line Sissons-Bonino-Watson is. They are a heavy defensive shut down line that can score 30+ goals a year and be + players while playing against other top lines.
Turris and Smith should be able to score 40ish maybe more together and if you add in a productive Grimaldi or move Jarnkrok down if there is a better solution for the Johansen line you're looking at 50+ for that line.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Predators Lines
Calle Jarnkrok - Ryan Johansen - Viktor Arvidsson
Filip Forsberg - Matt Duchene - Mikael Granlund
Rocco Grimaldi - Nick Bonino - Craig Smith
Colton Sissons - Kyle Turris - Austin Watson

Roman Josi - Ryan Ellis
Mattias Ekholm - Dante Fabbro
Dan Hamhuis - Matt Irwin

I like these lines.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Predators Lines
Calle Jarnkrok - Ryan Johansen - Viktor Arvidsson
Filip Forsberg - Matt Duchene - Mikael Granlund
Rocco Grimaldi - Nick Bonino - Craig Smith
Colton Sissons - Kyle Turris - Austin Watson

Roman Josi - Ryan Ellis
Mattias Ekholm - Dante Fabbro
Dan Hamhuis - Matt Irwin

I like these lines.
Watch Bonino score 2 more tonight and make me look the fool.

Reactions: PredsV82

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Can't find the numbers, maybe someone has them, but I read a twitter thread on Bonino-Watson-Sissons that shows they aren't really very effective as a shut down line. I'll see what I can find but it was surprising to me based on how much Lavy has preferred that line in the past.

Edit: I think it might've been Jarnkrok instead of Sissons now that I think about it

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So who scheduled a game on Halloween? Luckily it's early season, so if I miss the first half while taking the kids around the neighborhood it's okay, but definitely not ideal.
People still do that? I live right smack dab in the middle of Shelbyville and haven't had a single kid show up here in probably 5 years.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Can't find the numbers, maybe someone has them, but I read a twitter thread on Bonino-Watson-Sissons that shows they aren't really very effective as a shut down line. I'll see what I can find but it was surprising to me based on how much Lavy has preferred that line in the past.

Edit: I think it might've been Jarnkrok instead of Sissons now that I think about it

Watson-Bonino-Jarnkrok only has 63:33 time on ice in the regular season since the 2017-18 season so they haven't really played together too much. They have a GF% of 83.33 but terrible possession numbers so maybe someone tried to make an argument off that. Looking at the stats for Sissons-Bonino-Watson in the regular season since 2017-18 is pretty incredible though. TOI of 246:13 with a GF% of 73.68 and a GF/60 of 3.41 with a 20% offensive zone faceoff percentage. For comparison, JOFA had a GF% of 62.26 and a GF/60 of 3.79 with a 64% offensive zone faceoff percentage over the same time interval (albeit over a much larger sample size of 1044:40 TOI). Sissons-Bonino-Watson was bad numberswise in the playoffs last year so maybe it was a post about that although I think overall they weren't overly terrible.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
People still do that? I live right smack dab in the middle of Shelbyville and haven't had a single kid show up here in probably 5 years.

There didn't used to be in my neighborhood, probably from like 00-15 it wasn't worth turning on the light, but recently picked up when some of the old folks died and more families started moving in. Just in the last three years, the four houses I can see from my front window have gone from 2 to 10 kids and the streets are pretty full for a couple of hours.

Of course I contributed 2 of those kids and now have to take them out, so it's not like other holiday games where viewing it can be incorporated with family time.

On the plus side, with temps below 40, I think it will be a real quick trip this year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad