Lose for Hughes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
There's so much parity in this league that with the next draft being deep, there'a a huge competitive advantage in tanking. It's not like the NBA where there's already 5 teams playing tank wars, everyone is still trying to win the NHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not going before 2008 as I think a decade is more than enough to judge what he has done.

Galchenyuk was a fine pick,but I look at Rielly and get jealous.

Sergachev wa a fine pick,but I look at McAvoy and get jealous.

This means that his top picks are fine and definitely not top notch.

His record late 1st is absolutely horrendous. Just going by his latest 1st rounders from 2009, he picked back(Leblanc) to back(Tinordi) to back(Beaulieu) busts. Then he gets a 3rd overall pick which I dont think should really count too much. Then he continues his pattern with another back(McCarron) to back(Scherbak) busts.

Poehling looks good, but many players in that draft are looking good. Most notably Tolvanen and Jokiharju who I think are ahead of Poehling.

Juulsen seems fine too, but is he better than a Beauvillier or Dermot? Not too sure.

If you're drawing the line right after the best year, 2007, I think your biasing your analysis.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If you're drawing the line right after the best year, 2007, I think your biasing your analysis.
Sorry if I dont think what he did over a decade ago has any relevance to his recent record. His 2005 and 2007 drafts is what has kept me from calling him one of the worst scouts in the league. Because since 2008 it has been a complete disaster.

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sorry if I dont think what he did over a decade ago has any relevance to his recent record. His 2005 and 2007 drafts is what has kept me from calling him one of the worst scouts in the league. Because since 2008 it has been a complete disaster.

No, since 2008 it hasn't.
2003 -2007 were very good

2008-2011 were not good (no 2nd 3 of those years and no 1st one of them) and all were late 1sts.

2012 - present is looking good.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

2008-2011 were not good (no 2nd 3 of those years and no 1st one of them) and all were late 1sts.

2012-present is looking good? How? No impact players besides his top 10 picks.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
2012-present is looking good? How? No impact players besides his top 10 picks.

Nailing top 10 picks is the most important thing a scout can do. (Galchenyuk, Sergachev, KK). Too early for me to compare Galchenyuk to Rielly, Sergachev to Macavoy, KK to Tkachuk, Hughes, et al. When you look at MacVoy and Rielly you get jealous. When I look at Yakupov, Ryan Murray, Grigorenko (who many here wanted), Puljujarvi, Wahlstrom Benoit Pouliot, Gilbert Brule, I am thankful.

Then you have Juulsen, Poehling and Scherbak as late 1st rounders. I'll wait to judge Scherbak, even though most won't. Poehling and Brook, it's too early but they're looking good. Juulsen looking like an impact player.

Secondary players: it looks like Lehkonen and Mete, and perhaps Hudon. Too early. I get that you don't think Mete will amount to anything. But as a 20 year old, even to crack an NHL roster is something most of his draft class haven't been able to achieve. I don't care about his offense. If he can get strong enough to handle opponents physically in front of the net and corners, he'll be top 4. Did you see how many times he got back to nullify rushes/partial breaks by fast opposing players tonight. He loves to jump into the rush and has the potential to be all over the ice.

That's 7 players in 7 years (assuming Brook, Poehling, Mete, and Juulsen pan out) + other prospects like Fleury, Primeau, Ikonen, Ylonen, Olofseen, Romanov, etc... + I'm not writing off Lehkonen, Scherbak and Hudon just yet.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We need to get more out of our later round picks, IMO. We really need a couple to break our way in a big way.

He's done alright with his high picks.

His record will depend heavily on Poehling and Juulsen, and Scherbak's a long shot, but still a shot imo.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I think 2007 saves his ass big time. Aside from that, his categoric failure to draft us a proper center over more than a decade here is such an embarrassing failure. They better hope Kotka becomes as good as they hope and that the Tkachuks or Zadinas don't exceed him significantly.

All in all, we are not privy to the information inside those rooms, what choices Timmins is really responsible for, what were the disagreements and directives, but he is the one manning the draft so it falls on him.
When I look at his body of work in first round from more than a decade...there is one year where he knocked it completely out of the park. Rest of the time it's a big flat ''meh'', and again, his failure at center is a huge nasty mark.

I think it's time people stop looking at Timmins like he's the best in the industry.

Reactions: DAChampion

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
A bit early for that. We are still in the playoff hunt, and there are still more than 50 games to play. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but it seems pre-mature.

If you are setting yourself up for props at season’s end, you should consider that it is only useful if you are right a significant amount of the time.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think getting 1st overall is unlikely even if it is possible.

I think we should just hope that if we don't make the playoffs MB is actively selling vets who aren't long term assets for us and adding to the young team's core.

At the beginning of the season I thought we'd be battling for a wildcard spot, and we are but I didn't think I'd enjoy the run the team had this much. So I'm leaning towards hoping they make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad