Prospect Info: Los Angeles Kings Top Prospect Rankings - #5

Who is the Kings' #5 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
So Kaliyev is better at puck skills, getting open, and being ready to make a play?

Forechecking?
Body checking?
Communicating?
Creating traffic/screens in front?
Covering for a pinching defenseman?
Overall playing with pace?

Since you didn't think these are offensive skills away from the puck, I'm assuming you didn't evaluate Kaliyev's abilities in these facets, let along comparing JAD's abilities to Kaliyev. Either way, you are oversimplifying away from the puck skills.

Positioning too and knowing where to be....'purposeful skating'.

Like Ruutu talking about Fagemo and not only did he improve his skating, but being more purposeful in his skating - getting to where
he needed to be and faster. it seems like Kaiyev has offensive IQ and top shooting and passing skills - and vision...it's just that the rest of his game has been without being dedicated and
working hard to have that in his game - which you must to get to the NHL. You cannot take a Trevor Lewis - one who skates good, dilligent worker, decent tools and train him to
have Kaliyev's shot, scoring ability, hands and passing level. But you can take a Kailyev and train him and work with him to have Trevor Lewis's work ethic and (to an extent) defensive
game....and as Yannetti said - "there's only 2 players our development system could not reach" (wonder who they are?) But, to kailyev's creidt - he has good character and that's a good
starting point to work with, to improve his overall game...and he just turned 18 2 weeks ago! Few have scored 50 goals in the OHL before BDAY 18.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think a lot of you are underestimating Prohorkins. He is point a game in the khl Think about that people second best league on the planet hes point a game.He is playing against men not other kids. He will be a major point of us turning it around this year. I can't remember where I read it or heard it but that roughly translates to 45 -50 points in nhl year. Which would have been 3rd on our team in scoring

Reactions: LB

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think a lot of you are underestimating Prohorkins. He is point a game in the khl Think about that people second best league on the planet hes point a game.He is playing against men not other kids. He will be a major point of us turning it around this year. I can't remember where I read it or heard it but that roughly translates to 45 -50 points in nhl year. Which would have been 3rd on our team in scoring

Success in the KHL does notvtranslate to NHL success. Brandon Bochenski was 3rd in the KHL in 2015-16 with 61 points in 60 games. He never really made much of a career in the NHL.

Former Kings draft pick Justin Azevedo had 53 points in the league, that year.

Prokhorkin could do very well, but the apprehension is defensible.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
So Kaliyev is better at puck skills, getting open, and being ready to make a play?

Forechecking?
Body checking?
Communicating?
Creating traffic/screens in front?
Covering for a pinching defenseman?
Overall playing with pace?

Since you didn't think these are offensive skills away from the puck, I'm assuming you didn't evaluate Kaliyev's abilities in these facets, let along comparing JAD's abilities to Kaliyev. Either way, you are oversimplifying away from the puck skills.
Im over simplifying it because its its pretty simple. Kaliyev is a much better offensive prospect than JAD. Not only does he project to be a better offensive player but he already is. And thats more important to me when projecting forwards. But if you want to offset the clear gap in offensive talent because of intangibles and forechecking then thats your decision.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
And pretending like what Kaliyev can do off the puck is some minor attribute is crazy. The guy is a very unique talent away from the puck. The simple fact is that teams have to pay alot of attention to Kaliyev when he doesn't have the puck. It only takes a fraction of a second for that guy to change a game. Very few players like that even in the NHL.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I picked Kaliyev myself here but let's not pretend he doesn't have faults. He has ABSURD production, especially with respect to his teammates as Nickster points out, and even Pronman said frequently he didn't look like much was happening then he'd check the box score at the end of the night and Kaliyev would have three points. BUT his skating is mediocre at best. He sucks absolute ass on his edges, he's not escaping anyone with either speed OR agility OR strength/persistence on the boards. You can argue he doesn't have to, but even juniors were catching him with little effort. His hockey sense, release, shot, ability to get open and make you pay in a split second is unreal, and he'll need someone to carry the play for him--but the reasons people question this translating to the next level is if he's on a shitty possession team--ahem--he might be an absolute liability and only a PP weapon. His ceiling is questionable, and will he outscore his issues (or develop on them) enough to make a difference?

Like I said, I think "yes," but he's got a lot more in common with Tyler Toffoli than anyone here wants to admit. Neither guy should skate the puck through the neutral zone. Both guys have great IQ (Kaliyev better) and know where to be with and without the puck (TT is actually a really heady defensive player in general). But can they get there and do anything about it? I'm gambling on his upside here and I think a chip on his shoulder will be nice.

Now here's the wild card I can never find more info on--the rumor is he was playing nearly 30 minutes a night as well at times. So that would make sense with respect to his conservative play, backchecking, skating, and so on. But I can't find stats or confirmation on that anywhere. That could change absolutely everything.

I trust our development team to work on his weaknesses. And he has some tools that would have made him the #3 pick if they weren't questions. That's phenomenal value. He could be a Kucherov. But he could also be a Yakupov. It's reasonable to not bet on him here.

Well, looks and results are two different things, but I understand your point. Kempe is terrible offensively actually generating results. In fact, he's tied for team worst among the forwards at even strength (team scoring when he is on the ice per 60 minutes played). And yes Petersen faced a barrage of shots on many nights, combined with some poor coverage. There was some inconsistency in his game at times too, where he just did not play well at all. He seemed to get a bit down on his play at times.

To be fair to Kempe and really anyone coming up right now only a small handful of guys actually did well last year. Remember only Clifford and Iafallo actually increased their production. Some guys who debuted did well, but they weren't thrust into roles like Kempe, who showed well the previous year before running out of gas. Don't get me wrong, he had issues last year particularly with consistency, but I have a hard time evaluating anyone in last year's context.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Success in the KHL does notvtranslate to NHL success. Brandon Bochenski was 3rd in the KHL in 2015-16 with 61 points in 60 games. He never really made much of a career in the NHL.

Former Kings draft pick Justin Azevedo had 53 points in the league, that year.

Prokhorkin could do very well, but the apprehension is defensible.

I think if your comparing a player from the ohl to a player from the Khl The Khl is a much harder league. I agree nothing is a for sure thing you have to admit numbers in Khl would be a closer league to nhl. He is showing he can play against men not kids.

Also the 2 player your talking about are in there 30s not 25 So your comparing apples to oranges imo.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I voted Kaliyev, there is way too much to like about his offensive game. In the OHL coaches poll, Kaliyev won best shot and hardest shot and was voted second most dangerous around the net. He was a finalist for the best prospect award and was a second team all star in the OHL. As a 16 year old rookie he scored 31 goals for the OHL champions and followed that up with 102 points on a rebuilding team, so he has shown he can produce no matter how good his team is. He is one of only 13 players to score 50+ goals as a 17 year old, a list that includes the likes of Stamkos, Lindros and Debrincat. He has sky high potential, him and Thomas represent some outstanding drafting by Blake in the second round. I will say that he does have bust potential and I believe that if he doesn't make the team for 3 years his chances of becoming a high end top 6 forward are slim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad