Prospect Info: Los Angeles Kings Top Prospect Rankings - #5

Who is the Kings' #5 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Vote for one player, and post who you want to add to the next poll.

Added to this poll: Austin Strand

Only players who are eligible for the 2020 Calder trophy (so no Wagner, Amadio, etc). Calder eligibility is defined as:
- No older than 26 years old as of September 15th, 2019 (so Prokhorkin just makes the cut, if you wish to vote him in)
- Has not played in more than 25 games in one season or more than 6 games in two consecutive seasons. (so Matt Roy, at 25 games, just makes the cut if you want to vote him in)

#1 - Alex Turcotte, F, 59.1%
#2 - Gabriel Vilardi, F, 53.6%
#3 - Rasmus Kupari, F, 46.4%
#4 - Cal Petersen, G, 28.9%

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, expected it to be a total dogfight from 4-10 haha.

Still a really really hard time with this one. I want to pick JAD, Anderson, Fagemo, Bjornfot all at once...

...but gonna have to go with Kaliyev. Could bust completely whereas I think all of the above are players. But to me he's got the most upside of any prospect we have except Vilardi. The guy is an absolute savant in the offensive zone, and a breath of fresh air in an organization that's focused a lot on two-way play. I see him as sort of the Kovalchuk of picks, throwing a creative monkeywrench into the system to see what it breaks.

Guy can score, pass, think...and just goes to the right areas nonstop.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Michael Anderson. Some scouts called him the best Defenseman at the WJC...better than Quinn Hughes, etc etc and if Quinn Hughes was in the Kings system, Quinn would have been #1 or #2 in this poll.

Add Sean Durzi

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Still going with Grundstrom. I think he's got the combination of potential and closeness to the NHL that he should be top 5.

And I agree to add Durzi. Shows how good our prospects are if we're forgetting him too.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Anderson, top pairing D at world juniors, 22 min+ per game, captain. He could be all those things here.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
JAD but barely over Anderson.

I think Anderson gets a little overrated on this board (he's no Makar or Hughes), but I think he will be an effective 2nd pairing d-man for a decade or so in the NHL. That's pretty valuable, especially for a guy drafted where he was.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Yeah, expected it to be a total dogfight from 4-10 haha.

Still a really really hard time with this one. I want to pick JAD, Anderson, Fagemo, Bjornfot all at once...

...but gonna have to go with Kaliyev. Could bust completely whereas I think all of the above are players. But to me he's got the most upside of any prospect we have except Vilardi. The guy is an absolute savant in the offensive zone, and a breath of fresh air in an organization that's focused a lot on two-way play. I see him as sort of the Kovalchuk of picks, throwing a creative monkeywrench into the system to see what it breaks.

Guy can score, pass, think...and just goes to the right areas nonstop.

Kaliyev seems like the first true swing for the fences pick in at least a decade.

LB

Jun 4, 2014
Los Angeles
Kaliyev is likely 3 years away and comes with various question marks. JAD is close to being an NHL player - likely to play at least half of next season with the Kings. So yes Kaliyev has more goal scoring potential, but also has more bust potential and won't contribute for a few years.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kaliyev is likely 3 years away and comes with various question marks. JAD is close to being an NHL player - likely to play at least half of next season with the Kings. So yes Kaliyev has more goal scoring potential, but also has more bust potential and won't contribute for a few years.

Well, if you're going on simply 'how close to the nhl,' you'd have to go Porkins, right?

I think it's all debateable but most of it comes down to roof vs. certainty. I totally agree that JAD comes with more certainty. I personally rank by ceiling. No beef either way there. But I also personally don't like "this guy will play next year" just for the sake of playing next year as a prospect evaluation method.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Well, if you're going on simply 'how close to the nhl,' you'd have to go Porkins, right?

I think it's all debateable but most of it comes down to roof vs. certainty. I totally agree that JAD comes with more certainty. I personally rank by ceiling. No beef either way there. But I also personally don't like "this guy will play next year" just for the sake of playing next year as a prospect evaluation method.

It definitely is interesting at this point, because there are different things prospects have going for them:
- pure potential? Kaliyev
- NHL readiness? Should be Grundstrom since he's actually produced in the NHL
- International resume? Prokhorkin, as he's the most experienced and played in olympics
- Overall success? Anderson has very recent WJC hardware, back-to-back league championships, and captaincy

As you said, it makes these polls dog fights as people value different aspects and use them to weigh in differences between ceiling/likelihood to reach it.

Definitely agree that "will play in NHL" is a faulty leading factor, though. By that, Matt Roy should be leading the charge with his 25 NHL games.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
JAD might be closer to the NHL. But he is further behind the younger Kaliyev in terms of offensive development and production. So what NHL role is JAD closer too? He certainly isnt more NHL ready for an offensive role? So JAD is a better prospect because he is closer to contributing to our bottom 6 then Kaliyev is?

I also dont see how Kaliyev is "3 years away" thats just a made up number. I mean he already dominated juniors at a level that should clearly suggest he is ready for the bext level of competition.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
JAD might be closer to the NHL. But he is further behind the younger Kaliyev in terms of offensive development and production. So what NHL role is JAD closer too? He certainly isnt more NHL ready for an offensive role? So JAD is a better prospect because he is closer to contributing to our bottom 6 then Kaliyev is?

I also dont see how Kaliyev is "3 years away" thats just a made up number. I mean he already dominated juniors at a level that should clearly suggest he is ready for the bext level of competition.

I think Kaliyev has plenty to work on that would be best to learn while getting huge minutes at a lower level. The hockey sense, skills, scoring are elite, but raw tools like fitness/skating? But I agree in the sense that he could just force our hand, too. Total wild card.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Arthur Kaliyev is two years away from AHL eligibility, so that's one factor stopping him from playing at the next level (also why some factor 3 years away).

His skills with the puck are exceptional. JAD is much further along in his skills without the puck, which is what Kaliyev needs to work on at the next level.

Reactions: LB

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Arthur Kaliyev is two years away from AHL eligibility, so that's one factor stopping him from playing at the next level (also why some factor 3 years away).

His skills with the puck are exceptional. JAD is much further along in his skills without the puck, which is what Kaliyev needs to work on at the next level.
When you say his skills without the puck are not as good as JAD's you must mean on the defensive side of the ice. Because on the offensive side of the ice Kaliyev is excellent away from the puck. JAD has a lot of development ahead of him to reach Kaliyevs level of threat away from the puck. In fact id be highly surprised if JAD ever is as dangerous away from the puck as Kaliyev is right now.

So again JAD is basically a better defensive prospect and a worse offensive prospect.

Kings dont have a winger in their entire organization as talented as Kaliyev offensively. We are actually allowing Iafallo to play first line W and score 30 points every year in that role.

Kaliyev might be two years from AHL eligibility but he could play in the NHL whenever we deem his defense to be good enough. How many years before Iafallo or JAD develop enough on the offensive side. Or do we just not care about whether or not someone is good at offense and continue letting guys like brown and Iafallo be first line wingers for us?

Reactions: crassbonanza

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I still can't believe that we came to the conclusion that Cal Peterson is our 4th best prospect lol. The guy is a 25 yr old goalie that was terrible in the ahl last year. But did good as a backup on our nhl team (like basically every backup weve ever had). 5 yrs ago did you guys vote for Ben Scrivens as one of our best prospects?

Reactions: funky and johnjm22

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
When you say his skills without the puck are not as good as JAD's you must mean on the defensive side of the ice. Because on the offensive side of the ice Kaliyev is excellent away from the puck. JAD has a lot of development ahead of him to reach Kaliyevs level of threat away from the puck. In fact id be highly surprised if JAD ever is as dangerous away from the puck as Kaliyev is right now.

So again JAD is basically a better defensive prospect and a worse offensive prospect.

Kings dont have a winger in their entire organization as talented as Kaliyev offensively. We are actually allowing Iafallo to play first line W and score 30 points every year in that role.

Kaliyev might be two years from AHL eligibility but he could play in the NHL whenever we deem his defense to be good enough. How many years before Iafallo or JAD develop enough on the offensive side. Or do we just not care about whether or not someone is good at offense and continue letting guys like brown and Iafallo be first line wingers for us?

No. I literally mean his skills without the puck are not as good as JAD's. You are oversimplifying it to say it's only defense.

What do you consider offensive skills without the puck?

LB

Jun 4, 2014
Los Angeles

From everything we've heard about Kaliyev including from Yanetti, he's got a ways to go in his maturity level and of course also his game away from the puck. Coaches don't let players like that onto NHL ice. That's why 3 years away is a reasonable expectation and most people would be shocked if he becomes an NHL player before that. That doesn't mean he's a bad prospect, he's just further away. I don't think any of us will be surprised if he eventually becomes the best goal scorer of any prospect we have, once he makes the Kings. However there's also a chance that he never improves enough to gain the coach's trust away from the puck in the NHL.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I still can't believe that we came to the conclusion that Cal Peterson is our 4th best prospect lol. The guy is a 25 yr old goalie that was terrible in the ahl last year. But did good as a backup on our nhl team (like basically every backup weve ever had). 5 yrs ago did you guys vote for Ben Scrivens as one of our best prospects?

While I did not vote for Petersen being 4th, this is being a little bit harsh. The Reign were terrible last year through no fault of his own. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I believe the Reign were one of the teams that gave up the most shots in the AHL. He looked really good in the NHL in his limited showings and looks like he has a future as an NHL starter. Some guys perform better in the NHL than the lower leagues because they are playing with better players. Kempe's stats in the AHL aren't that impressive, but he sure looks the part in the NHL.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
While I did not vote for Petersen being 4th, this is being a little bit harsh. The Reign were terrible last year through no fault of his own. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I believe the Reign were one of the teams that gave up the most shots in the AHL. He looked really good in the NHL in his limited showings and looks like he has a future as an NHL starter. Some guys perform better in the NHL than the lower leagues because they are playing with better players. Kempe's stats in the AHL aren't that impressive, but he sure looks the part in the NHL.
Kempe isnt that good in the NHL either. The reason this team was terrible is because we have guys like Kempe playing roles that they are simply not capable of playing. And then for some reason we act like they weren't killing us all season long by being so unproductive compared to their competition playing similar roles.

But anyways goalie is a different position.

Goalies are so hard to predict and garbage goalies can put up good stats and vice versa. So its tough to really tell which goalies are the best. Regardless im not at all excited about Peterson being able to have some big impact on this team. Even if he does become our starting goalie is he going to do it so much better than other NHL starters? Or will he be the Iafallo/Kempe of NHL starting goalies.

Reactions: regulate

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010

What do you consider offensive skills without the puck?
getting open, being ready to make a play. Super important to offense. Kaliyev is extremely good at it and it matters. It makes him a massive offensive threat. JAD is not as good away from the puck as Kaliyev is in the offensive zone.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Kempe's stats in the AHL aren't that impressive, but he sure looks the part in the NHL.
Well, looks and results are two different things, but I understand your point. Kempe is terrible offensively actually generating results. In fact, he's tied for team worst among the forwards at even strength (team scoring when he is on the ice per 60 minutes played). And yes Petersen faced a barrage of shots on many nights, combined with some poor coverage. There was some inconsistency in his game at times too, where he just did not play well at all. He seemed to get a bit down on his play at times.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
getting open, being ready to make a play. Super important to offense. Kaliyev is extremely good at it and it matters. It makes him a massive offensive threat. JAD is not as good away from the puck as Kaliyev is in the offensive zone.

So Kaliyev is better at puck skills, getting open, and being ready to make a play?

Forechecking?
Body checking?
Communicating?
Creating traffic/screens in front?
Covering for a pinching defenseman?
Overall playing with pace?

Since you didn't think these are offensive skills away from the puck, I'm assuming you didn't evaluate Kaliyev's abilities in these facets, let along comparing JAD's abilities to Kaliyev. Either way, you are oversimplifying away from the puck skills.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2