Post-Game Talk: Los Angeles Kings @ New York Rangers |Game 3| 6/9/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
if henrik goes into god mode we have a chance. the problem is, he's actually been pretty damn close to god mode this series. tough to blame him for any of the goals.

KingP

Mar 24, 2012
New york
He said I need to give up one or less but he wasn't saying thats what he needs to do

Watch the video

Hes saying thats what he doesnt need to think about

They are just making a story lol

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
if henrik goes into god mode we have a chance. the problem is, he's actually been pretty damn close to god mode this series. tough to blame him for any of the goals.
Yes, but with a little luck a lot of those pucks hit him.

He's stopped 89.2% of all shots on him and none of them were gimmes. There's certainly upward potential.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
If a bunch of the skaters went into even semi-god mode, it would increase the chances of a win.
They have to be snarling and fighting tooth and claw for the win.
It will not happen with anything less. Forget the studied methodical approach. Do that and the Kings knock you around while you are thinking it over.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yes, but with a little luck a lot of those pucks hit him.

He's stopped 89.2% of all shots on him and none of them were gimmes. There's certainly upward potential.

yeah, i guess the problem is, he's already in god-mode....and hes just not getting any bounces...really sucks for him.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
You can boil the series down to Kreiders post in the OT of game two.

Nash makes the strong move to the net. Kreider sends it off the post.

Could have been a different series right there.

But my point is that it should NEVER have come to that. You can't keep going to that well and expect to keep drawing cool, sweet water.

The Rangers had it 2 - 0, 3 -1 then 4 - 2. They blew it plain and simple.

Similar to what the kings did to the defending Stanley cup champs in a game 7. The kings did not have a lead all game. LA ,Tied it with 7 minutes left and won it in ot. It is what LA does. Sometimes you have to give the opposition credit. Along with the refs as well. :sarcasm:

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
How are a couple of post game comments after the team goes down 3 to 0 in the scf a searing indictment of the coach. This place is unbelievable.

Yeah, I don't get that either. The guy brought this team from down-and-out, to the Stanley Cup Finals.....the STANLEY CUP FINALS, within a few months time. AV has done one hell of superb job in his short time here. Just my dopey opinion though.

toastbag

Apr 23, 2012
This is what I think people aren't getting. Henrik hasn't played THAT badly at all.

I heard someone on the radio tonight saying how he has not played up to his contract this post season and he had let in a lot of soft goals this series and I couldn't believe how ridiculous this guy sounded. First off without him they don't even make it to the finals. Heck they don't even make it to the third round.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
So your argument is the Kings make his save percentage worse? Don't think I've heard that one yet.

He's been slightly above league average since he entered the league.

lundqvistquick.png

Jonathan Quick is one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL. It's not to be debated.

You can use all the statistics you want. My earlier post talking and showing video about his technical skills go further into depth about it.

Hank is better, but someone earlier called him an overrated, average goalie. Basically someone who has zero idea about any technical aspects of what makes a goaltender elite.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

You can use all the statistics you want. My earlier post talking and showing video about his technical skills go further into depth about it.

Hank is better, but someone earlier called him an overrated, average goalie. Basically someone who has zero idea about any technical aspects of what makes a goaltender elite.

Saying he has the talent to be there is one thing. Saying he is there in spite of all statistics pointing otherwise is completely different. Maybe he is the most talented in the league but lacks focus at times. Maybe he's inconsistent. I don't know what it is but if he were a sure-fire top X goalie in the league it would be immediately clear in the numbers as well as from the eye test and in this case all numbers point otherwise.

I don't want to entirely switch sports but this is a similar (though admittedly much less extreme) version of what often occurred with Derek Jeter. The guy is and has been an awful awful defensive shortstop for a long time but has been considered great largely because of media presence and because the skills he is good at are the obvious ones (has good hands, accurate throws etc..but just has absolutely no range which kills his value there). And like this, despite all advanced fielding stats which measure range and value and such showing him to be among league worst he would keep winning gold gloves and be considered among the most because the media and fans would repeat it to themselves time after time.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

So a goalie who uses superior technical skills to produce mediocre results is elite?

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
So a goalie who uses superior technical skills to produce mediocre results is elite?

I think Quick gets a bit of the Tim Thomas effect where the fact that his positioning and aggressiveness force him to make acrobatic saves causes people to overrate him. In reality, many of those acrobatic saves would be unnecessary for a more conservative goalie with better puck tracking and positioning.

Quick is a very good goalie, but he definitely gets more credit than he deserves.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
It's really scary how this series mimics the Devils/Kings series. Only difference there was that Devils had home ice advantage.

Games 1 & 2 were losses in OT. Game 3 was a multi-goal loss & shutout. Devils then won games 4 & 5 before losing in 6.

However, I think that in a way if the Rangers can manage to win games 4 & 5. Going into game 6 they have a bigger advantage than the Devils would have had since they'd play at home. That would of course leave a game 7 in LA which would be insane to begin with.

Would be a fun ride.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think Quick gets a bit of the Tim Thomas effect where the fact that his positioning and aggressiveness force him to make acrobatic saves causes people to overrate him. In reality, many of those acrobatic saves would be unnecessary for a more conservative goalie with better puck tracking and positioning.

Quick is a very good goalie, but he definitely gets more credit than he deserves.
Thomas twice posted more than 40 saves above league average in a season.

Quick is 27 saves above average over his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad