Los Angeles Kings Mount Rushmore

Select four players

• Total voters

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So did Brown? And he also captained the team to the cup.
Good for him. Taylor scored 106 goals and 357 points more than Brown while also being solid defensively. Top 4 in games, goals, assists, points, plus/minus, penalty minutes, you name it.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I could be reading the room wrong. I just feel like people forget how much time Robitaille spent away from LA, and on and off rather than consecutively, as well.

I could be convinced to replace Dionne with Luc but the others are untouchable imo
Lucky played 1077 games over 14 seasons with the Kings, scoring 557 goals and 1154 points for the team. He played 5 seasons on other teams. He's 4th all-time in number of games played for the Kings. Plus his 15 years in management.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Lucky played 1077 games over 14 seasons with the Kings, scoring 557 goals and 1154 points for the team. He played 5 seasons on other teams. He's 4th all-time in number of games played for the Kings. Plus his 15 years in management.
Yeah, this is a situation where you probably just have to not include Gretzky. Or did he garner that much of an attachment in his not quite 8yr stint? Accomplishments, sure, but I'd think Luc and Dionne mean more, you know?

Reactions: wetcoast

rogking65

May 13, 2016
it is unfortunate that there are so many young voters skewing results in a not so good way. Dionne should be number 1 AINEC,Robitaille number 2. Before you youngones vote please go and look at their stats. There is no way Kopitar should be leading this poll. That is the problem with polls on this forum.....the youngsters feel that if they did not see them play then those players are not worthy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, this is a situation where you probably just have to not include Gretzky. Or did he garner that much of an attachment in his not quite 8yr stint? Accomplishments, sure, but I'd think Luc and Dionne mean more, you know?

Not sure how you can argue Dionne means more than Gretzky. Gretzky took them to their first cup final and basically made them into a legitimate NHL team versus a Nashville type “Cinderella” story.

it is unfortunate that there are so many young voters skewing results in a not so good way. Dionne should be number 1 AINEC,Robitaille number 2. Before you youngones vote please go and look at their stats. There is no way Kopitar should be leading this poll. That is the problem with polls on this forum.....the youngsters feel that if they did not see them play then those players are not worthy

Kopitar brought them two cups as probably the best player in the combined runs. Weird flex.

rogking65

May 13, 2016
Not sure how you can argue Dionne means more than Gretzky. Gretzky took them to their first cup final and basically made them into a legitimate NHL team versus a Nashville type “Cinderella” story.

Kopitar brought them two cups as probably the best player in the combined runs. W

Kopitar brought them two cups as probably the best player in the combined runs. Weird flex.
so your argument is Kopitar is more worthy because he had a better supporting cast

for a long period of time Dionne was a top 3 player in the league,, Kopitar would not be considered a top 10 player at any time

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Robitaille played 14 seasons with the Kings and scored an insane number of goals. He's the Kings' all-time leading goal scorer and No. 2 in points. He's now President of the team and has been an exec with the club for 15 years, including their 2 Cups. I don't see how you leave him off.

This is legit the hardest one of these surveys I've done. Very hard to leave off Kopitar or Doughty who were instrumental in bringing the team's only 2 Cups (and to a lesser extent Quick). On the other hand, how do you not have Wayne and Dionne?

At the end of the day, I'm going Dionne, Gretz, Robitaille and Kopitar. It's pretty crazy leaving Doughty off this list though. No right answer here.

I realize Robitaille played and scored a ton, but Kopitar has 2 more seasons and almost 150 more games and Doughty is in his 15th season with the team (one more than Luc) and is fewer than 50 games back, and will pass him this year barring injury. And I think both are better players, held in higher regard throughout the league during their careers. Robitaille has been an executive and a common face for the team, but I don’t think winning as an executive should be held in higher esteem than as a player.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I gave strong consideration to leaving Gretz off the list, and frankly it might be the right call. OTOH, he is more responsible for the popularity of hockey in LA and similar markets than any other player. And he still played over 500 games for the Kings at an almost 2pt/game pace (539GP, 246G, 672A, 918Pts). He is 5th on the all-time Kings scoring list despite playing about half the games as the others near him on the list. Also, greatest player of all time and played 8 years in LA. Tough to leave him off too.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
lmfao at the idea of leaving Gretzky off the list

The highest-scoring seasons by LA Kings players are as follows:

1. Gretzky
2. Gretzky
3. The product of Gretzky
4. Gretzky
5. Dionne
6. Dionne
7. Dionne
8. Gretzky
9. Dionne
10. Robitaille

This is Gretzky + Dionne and then whoever you consider to be the top-2 of Robitaille, Quick, and Kopitar

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Dionne (if he's not on your list, your list is wrong)
Gretzky
Robitaille
and I go Blake but I can understand Kopitar or Quick there.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I am aware of his stats. I'm more referencing how he left and came back several times. Played several years in Pittsburgh and NY. Also left voluntarily to join Detroit before finishing out his retiring seasons in LA.

As opposed to Kopitar who will be going on season 18, many as captain, having led the franchise in points all but his rookie year and one Jeff Carter year, multiple selkes and MVP consideration, two cups leading the playoffs in points. He will likely be the games-played leader in the franchise when he hangs them up, and likely to be at least 2nd in scoring, impressive considering the era he played in compared to Dionne.

Doughty who will be going on season 16, with two cups leading Dmen in playoff scoring, a norris, two olympic golds, and a rep as top-3 dman in the league for over a decade.

Gretzky whose value to the game and hockey in socal is immeasurable.

Dionne who is a franchise icon of the late 70s-80s era and who was second only to Gretzky and Trottier in league scoring in his prime. He's the franchise leaders in assists and points.

If anything Luc has more in common with Quick than the above 4, and even then I'd take Quick on it over Luc, for all the franchise and American goaltending records.

Reactions: Regal

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
lmfao at the idea of leaving Gretzky off the list

The highest-scoring seasons by LA Kings players are as follows:

1. Gretzky
2. Gretzky
3. The product of Gretzky
4. Gretzky
5. Dionne
6. Dionne
7. Dionne
8. Gretzky
9. Dionne
10. Robitaille

This is Gretzky + Dionne and then whoever you consider to be the top-2 of Robitaille, Quick, and Kopitar

Bernie Nicholls is hardly a product of Gretzky. That's like saying Jari Kurri is a product of Gretzky. Considered the Kings best player the year before Gretzky came over even above Carson and Robitaille. His career took a nosedive because of the health issues and passing of his infant son in the early nineties but he got it back on track with Chicago in his mid thirties.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If we're talking about most important:
Gretzky - His arrival in LA just grew interest in the sport in southern California substantially. With growth of interest equals a growth of expectations. With a growth of expectations, thus helped an ownership group want to get the pieces to win a championship. Gretzky didn't win a cup in LA, but he was the trigger in the sequence of events leading to the Kings where they are now.

Taylor - As mentioned, he spent his entire career in LA, then eventually became the General Manager. It was under Taylor's tenure he drafted three of the candidates listed above (Brown, Kopitar, Quick). All three of them were eventual key cogs to the cup wins.

Brown - there's a reason there will be a statue of him. He was never the "best" player on the Kings. But since becoming a part of the Kings, he has either become a regular communal member, helping with Kings charities, and even coming to the Kings development camps well after graduation to tell them what they need to do to make the Kings. It's why he got the C early in his career.

Quick - His competitiveness and skill buoyed the Kings for many seasons. In 2012, he kept the Kings in playoff contention even though they were the 29th ranked offense. If not for his ability to keep the team in it, that Lombardi wouldn't have traded for Carter to help boost the offense and compete in the playoffs/eventually win the cup.

Kopitar's my favorite player and I love Doughty, so it hurts to omit them both. And Luc himself has been quite a contributor both on and off the ice. But if we're talking about certain players whose impacts have had a notable impact in the course of Kings history, it's the contributions of these players which most contributes to where the Kings are now.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Robitaille has more impressive stats than Wayne in LA. Wayne can be on Edmonton and League mountains, but I think Lucky Luc deserves a spot.
Not really tho. Robitaille only has ~200 more points in twice the amount of games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad