Roberto Luongo
Pavel Bure
Jonathan Huberdeau

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
f***...this one is legit hard

Do I leave Wayne off this list?

Dionne, Luc, and Anze are stone cold locks. Then I get stuck.

Went Taylor. Doughty, Quick, Wayne, so many legit good options.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Gretzky, Dionne, Kopitar and Doughty are pretty clear imo. Gretzky was the best player to play for the team, and was so important in terms of growing the game in the States and in LA. Dionne was their first big star, the second best player in franchise history and played a ton there. Kopitar and Doughty are both future Hall of Famers, spent their entire careers with the team and were the back bone of the only two championships for the team. As good as Robitaille was, he wasn’t as good as the other 4, left for a part of his prime, and never won anything.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Robitaille has more impressive stats than Wayne in LA. Wayne can be on Edmonton and League mountains, but I think Lucky Luc deserves a spot.

Switched Kopi with Robitaille.

To me mount rushmore is "most important", not necessarily best.

I think Gretzky is the #1 choice for most important players in Kings history. He helped make hockey as popular as it became.

If its "best" - he again obviously ranks #1.

The only way Robitaille could be argued ahead is if you look at overall on-ice value to team with a strong emphasis on longevity. To me that's the least interesting way of looking at it.

I think Gretzky and Dionne are locks. I could see swapping one of Doughty or Kopitar for Robitaille (all 3 are close), but i used the 2 cups as a differentiator.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I just don’t see how anyone has Robitaille over Kopitar or Doughty. He’s not far behind, but he’s not as good as either as a player (unless you’re stat watching a guy who played through the late 80s and early 90s), they all spent roughly the same time with the team at this point, and Kopitar and Doughty won two cups. I get Robitaille is a fan favourite, but so are they, and they also spent their entire careers with the team so far.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Jeeez this one is tough.

Gretzky and Robitaille are obvious. But i feel like you also have to include Kopitar, and probably Doughty. But Quick was such a huge part of that era's success too, and it feels like there should be a goalie on there. It also leaves Dionne on the outside looking in, which doesn't seem entirely right either.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Dustin Brown has to be included right? I mean he's getting a statue :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Dionne, Wayne, Anze and Doughty.

I feel dirty leaving off Luc.

If you leave off Dionne you arent legally allowed to watch hockey anymore. Beating out prime Gretzky, Lafleur, Trottier and Perreault in scoring gives you an automatic spot.

Robitailles claim to fame is his goalscoring and his 6 consecutive AS's. Dionne has more top 10 goal scoring seasons for once.

Last edited:

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Kopitar, Dionne, Robitaille, Taylor.

Could also have Gretzky over Taylor, but Taylor spent his entire NHL career with the team and stayed even after his retirement.

So did Brown? And he also captained the team to the cup.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I can understand outside fans choosing Luc since his name is synonymous with Kings but he's far from the greatest or most important, I think he's pretty far down both lists honestly

Gretzky, Dionne, Kopitar, Doughty.

Feels gross leaving out Quick, though. and Brown/Taylor HM as well.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I just don’t see how anyone has Robitaille over Kopitar or Doughty. He’s not far behind, but he’s not as good as either as a player (unless you’re stat watching a guy who played through the late 80s and early 90s), they all spent roughly the same time with the team at this point, and Kopitar and Doughty won two cups. I get Robitaille is a fan favourite, but so are they, and they also spent their entire careers with the team so far.
Robitaille played 14 seasons with the Kings and scored an insane number of goals. He's the Kings' all-time leading goal scorer and No. 2 in points. He's now President of the team and has been an exec with the club for 15 years, including their 2 Cups. I don't see how you leave him off.

This is legit the hardest one of these surveys I've done. Very hard to leave off Kopitar or Doughty who were instrumental in bringing the team's only 2 Cups (and to a lesser extent Quick). On the other hand, how do you not have Wayne and Dionne?

At the end of the day, I'm going Dionne, Gretz, Robitaille and Kopitar. It's pretty crazy leaving Doughty off this list though. No right answer here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I can understand outside fans choosing Luc since his name is synonymous with Kings but he's far from the greatest or most important, I think he's pretty far down both lists honestly

Gretzky, Dionne, Kopitar, Doughty.

Feels gross leaving out Quick, though. and Brown/Taylor HM as well.

Interesting. I would have thunk Dionne is the one that gets overrated by outside fans and Luc the opposite.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Interesting. I would have thunk Dionne is the one that gets overrated by outside fans and Luc the opposite.

I could be reading the room wrong. I just feel like people forget how much time Robitaille spent away from LA, and on and off rather than consecutively, as well.

I could be convinced to replace Dionne with Luc but the others are untouchable imo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I could be reading the room wrong. I just feel like people forget how much time Robitaille spent away from LA, and on and off rather than consecutively, as well.

I could be convinced to replace Dionne with Luc but the others are untouchable imo

I agree with the three. I just feel like Luc is synonymous with the LA Kings and a huge fan favorite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad