GDT: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks - January 21, 2015 - 7:30 p.m. (PST)

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I still think it all starts with the ineffectiveness of the D. Our inability to break out swiftly and cleanly leads to F having to constantly drop down into position for D coverage, which uses up a lot of energy in shifts and keeps our F from coming up the ice cleanly. When the C has to drop down so low all the time to support D, they end up with possession, but are 180 from the net, and can generally make the outlets passes to the W, but after doing so are not up the ice with them. It is the proper play for these C to read off of their D and determine if they need help or whether they can release up the ice and be available for a pass them self. It's just that the number of times in a game that guys like Greene, McNabb, Schultz, and even McBain need the help is just ludicrous. Doughty almost never needs help, which is an anomaly in and of itself, and then Muzz and Martinez are a step below DD and with Reger a step below M M but not nearly as bad as the wrecking ball crew. As a forward, it's hard to play this kind of hockey every shift. I have no doubt that all sorts of our players games would come back to life on other teams, not all teams, but plenty of them.

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
I almost hate to say it, but play McBain. Pretend he's Voynov-lite.

Doughty-Muzzin
Regehr-McBain
Martinez-Greene
McNabb.

McBain has been the PP whisperer and playing McNabb with Greene is awful.

I would do something like that but keep McNabb in and sit Greene. Greene has been awful, even aside from laying out a Greene lawn for opposing players to relax on in front of our net and getting beat all the time. Even just looking at MCBain compared to Greene's basic stats:
Greene - 47 games, 2 goals, 5 assts, 7 points, +/- +3, 42 PIM, 15:52 ATOI, Salary - $2.5 million

McBain - 16 games, 2 goals, 5 assts, 7 points, +/- +4, 0 PIM, 13:03 ATOI, Salary - .55 million

Defensively, McBain seems about as good as Greene this year, but he's got a lot more upside offensively and doesn't have Greene's penchant for getting penalties. He's not as big as Greene, but Greene isn't using his size right now anyway. McBain may not be a better player overall, but he doesn't seem to be worse either at this point and is a lot cheaper. McBain's better play than Greeene on the PP could mean the difference between a couple wins and losses for us.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
I agree all problems start with our D. It's our backbone. Our spine. If anyone who had back issues would know, it is hard to do anything with a bum back. In fact, most everything becomes nearly impossible!

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He's the modern day Aaron Miller, and we're seeing his body breaking down before our eyes. Which is also what's happening to Mike Richards.

Agreed. And I still can't believe that Dean didn't see it and move on from both players this summer, we would be in far better shape going forward, but it is what it is. Just worry that these long-term contracts to broken down players are not only going to prevent the Kings from keeping some current players but from adding pieces that they need to compete, like a top four defender and a top six forward. That is what I tried to argue this past summer when people were coming up with capgeek charts that re-signed everyone but left the Kings with like 150k in cap space, just not a good way to operate.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Agreed. And I still can't believe that Dean didn't see it and move on from both players this summer, we would be in far better shape going forward, but it is what it is. Just worry that these long-term contracts to broken down players are not only going to prevent the Kings from keeping some current players but from adding pieces that they need to compete, like a top four defender and a top six forward. That is what I tried to argue this past summer when people were coming up with capgeek charts that re-signed everyone but left the Kings with like 150k in cap space, just not a good way to operate.

It's a hard lesson to learn. On the other side of the coin, the Hawks have had a consistent formula of moving players in an out but keeping the core intact. We have moved very few people, but that may be backfiring.

I'm speculating, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...til TonellisGhost chimes in with insightful wisdom that will leave us all in shock and awe...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It's a hard lesson to learn. On the other side of the coin, the Hawks have had a consistent formula of moving players in an out but keeping the core intact. We have moved very few people, but that may be backfiring.

I'm speculating, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...til TonellisGhost chimes in with insightful wisdom that will leave us all in shock and awe...

I think Dean was thinking with his heart instead of his head when it came to Greene and especially Richards. If you took a step back and rationally weighed the positives and negatives to buying out Richards it should have been a no-brainer decision. And Greene was a healthy scratch for many games down the stretch and in the playoffs, I think some of us would have been ok with a one year deal, but four years just completely blew my mind for a player who was already looking like he was significantly slowing down.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Dean was thinking with his heart instead of his head when it came to Greene and especially Richards. If you took a step back and rationally weighed the positives and negatives to buying out Richards it should have been a no-brainer decision. And Greene was a healthy scratch for many games down the stretch and in the playoffs, I think some of us would have been ok with a one year deal, but four years just completely blew my mind for a player who was already looking like he was significantly slowing down.

That's been his weakness in the past too, no? I forget, honestly. This is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams get what he's asking for and more.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
That's been his weakness in the past too, no? I forget, honestly. This is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams get what he's asking for and more.

If that were the case I think he would have signed already.

I think Dean is maybe finally come to the realization that he has some significant salary cap issues going forward and he failed to use his get out of jail free card last June. The Kings if they really want to contend in the future should be looking to add a top four defenseman and a top six forward on top of what they already have, and their simply isn't the money to do that, and a large part of it is the money dished out to broken down players because Dean couldn't bring himself to pull the plug.

Again, not being overly critical, Dean has had a lot more hits than misses recently but he dropped the ball last June.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
He'll get it done somehow. This team will look a bit different next season and I look forward to it. Dean will find a way. I have full faith.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

I think this is very true. I also think he wanted to see if this group that he molded could repeat, cementing the Kings as one of the great teams of the era, as well as his GM legacy. I wonder if you switched Greene with Mitchell we'd be looking at the same situation.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Mitchell wanted too much money. We all agreed it was the right decision when he signed with Florida - no matter how tough it was losing him.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think this is very true. I also think he wanted to see if this group that he molded could repeat, cementing the Kings as one of the great teams of the era, as well as his GM legacy. I wonder if you switched Greene with Mitchell we'd be looking at the same situation.

Winning two Stanley Cups in three years already cemented his legacy and losing Matt Greene and Mike Richards really wasn't going to effect this team from repeating. I think it was just loyalty and thinking with his heart.

As far as where the team would be with Mitchell, it's not as if they would be in first place, Mitchell would have significantly helped the PK but this team still would have to overcome all the bad luck they have had this season.

Mitchell wanted too much money. We all agreed it was the right decision when he signed with Florida - no matter how tough it was losing him.

Yes he wanted to much money and the Kings couldn't fit him in the cap because they chose to retain the almost $6m cap hit of the broken down fourth line center. So yes, he wanted to much money for the Kings but that was because the Kings made a poor choice.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Hilarious how it was a widely accepted idea that Mitchell was broken down and done and it would be best to let him walk and now that he's playing decently well and we had a completely BLINDSIDE in the Voynov issue, now people are backpedaling.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
You know he'd be gone if the Kings didn't win it all.

That very well may be true it's not good management to commit to two declining players until 2018 and 2020 respectively based on what happened last year. People talk about the intangibles and leadership and how it would effect the Kings had they left, but the reality is they stayed and their tangible play on the ice has done more damage than good this season and it's only going to get worse.

Again, it was thinking with his heart instead of his head, and hey we all have done it at some point in our lives.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Hilarious how it was a widely accepted idea that Mitchell was broken down and done and it would be best to let him walk and now that he's playing decently well and we had a completely BLINDSIDE in the Voynov issue, now people are backpedaling.

Who said Mitchell was broken down? And even if they thought Mitchell was done, it's still no excuse for four years to Matt Greene and not using the get out of jail free card on Richards.

Even if they moved on from Mitchell they should have had the money to bring in a defenseman during the summer or at some point this season when they really needed one, such as right now.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

I don't see the problem with letting Mitchell go... Him and Regehr could both fill the a roll on the second pairing. Neither one could log the ice time to keep up on the first pairing..... So Mitchell was a 3rd pairing D last year on the Kings. 4.25M is too much money for a 3rd pairing D (even though Mitchell is better then a 3rd pairing)... Greene's 2.5 is bad enough.

Anyways keeping all 3 of Regehr/Mitchell/Greene was not possible because none of them can be used on the first pairing. So that leaves 2 of those playing together... which doesn't work.

I also love how Richards is a broken down 4th line center now.... He played fine last year winning a cup when Sutter went to 3 lines against Chicago.... He played fine when Kopitar was out at the start of the year... A few months away and the same guy that was playing Pearson/Toffoli with Lewis can't figure out something better then Richards with Clifford/Nolan... I'm shocked...

Well the plus side of the Pearson/Lewis/Toffoli line is it will make Pearson/Toffoli work that much harder to score goals and could pay off long term.... need to build that character.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad