GDT: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks - January 21, 2015 - 7:30 p.m. (PST)

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Kings haven't won a game with Quick in net since Jan. 1st against the Canucks, a game that required 2 goals in the last 2 minutes for the Kings to win.

In the 14 games since the big emotional comeback win against the Blues at home, the Kings are 4-4-6. 3-2-4 against the Pacific division. 2-2-2 against SJ, Vancouver, and Calgary. They've outshot the opposition 429-312, but have been outscored by the opposition 40-38, not including empty net or shootout goals. 117 more shots, 2 fewer goals.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's in front of either net that just isn't working right now. They're not getting to the net to get better shots or a rebound or deflection, and they're not covering the guy in front of their own net consistently enough. So they're getting tons of shots, but it's not going to go in, and they're not giving up that many shots, but so many chances against are from right in front.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Did Sutter ever break up the Greene/McNabb pairing? They were awful in the first and that was the only period I watched. Another missed Kings game while I was out playing hockey myself. And I didn't miss anything... again!

Not sure how much McNabb was with him because I was too focused on how bad Greene was last night. He was a special kind of horrible last night.

Its like everyone was playing drunk with all the bobbled passes and stuff but Greene was also randomly falling down etc. Yeesh.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
How does Burns not get at least a call for that? I'm still steamed. Plus where's the response? Lewis is one of the few guys that works his ass off EVERY night and to see him get beat like that is maddening. This team is so disappointing right now and that capped off another poor performance. You can't let that happen to one of your teammates. No way.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
That's probably too much salary moving, the team that gets Williams will most likely want to resign him, Richards would get in the way of that. Richards contract is truly awful. Yikes!!

Yeah, that post was made kind of tongue in cheek. No GM of a contending team would take Richards' contract on just to get Williams for a few months.

If Dean can't get Williams re-signed, I think he has to assess where he believes THIS team is at this point in time, and then make a decision on whether or not to move Williams.

Williams is too valuable an asset to waste and not get maximum return on if Dean doesn't believe the Kings can make another deep run in the playoffs. I think we all have our doubts given the state of our blue line.

It is probably time to return to the "Get younger, get better" mantra.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, that post was made kind of tongue in cheek. No GM of a contending team would take Richards' contract on just to get Williams for a few months.

If Dean can't get Williams re-signed, I think he has to assess where he believes THIS team is at this point in time, and then make a decision on whether or not to move Williams.

Williams is too valuable an asset to waste and not get maximum return on if Dean doesn't believe the Kings can make another deep run in the playoffs. I think we all have our doubts given the state of our blue line.

It is probably time to return to the "Get younger, get better" mantra.

Very true. While I think fully healthy we're comparable to previous years, I will admit to completely underestimating Voynov's effect. He's a terrific #3. Martinez has been a terrific #4 and has been filling in admirably but the reason our D was so good was rolling out a great player like Voynov on the second pairing and Martinez on the third with complimentary defensemen with them.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Did Sutter ever break up the Greene/McNabb pairing? They were awful in the first and that was the only period I watched. Another missed Kings game while I was out playing hockey myself. And I didn't miss anything... again!

I'm kinda starting to enjoy Matt Greene smacking his stick on the ice or whiffing it at the puck right after the opposing team scores a goal. Icing on the cake is when it happens while Greene's on the PK.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Seriously though, the PK would be so much better if Greene wasn't out there letting guys get right in front of Quick for rebounds and tips.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Seriously though, the PK would be so much better if Greene wasn't out there letting guys get right in front of Quick for rebounds and tips.

Remember the 2012 playoffs when we were confident that Mitchell, Stoll and Greene were one of the best PK teams out there? I'm thinking of that crucial 5-on-3 they killed off in what, Game 2 or 3 of the Finals against the Devils.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Kings are off until next Wednesday when they play the Hawks. That's a nice post All-Star break test. Then they're off to a 5-game road trip, closing out January in Boston, then to Washington, Florida, Tampa and Columbus.

There are no easy points from here on out.

The Kings have become the team handing out the easy points.

:shakehead

Ron*

Remember the 2012 playoffs when we were confident that Mitchell, Stoll and Greene were one of the best PK teams out there? I'm thinking of that crucial 5-on-3 they killed off in what, Game 2 or 3 of the Finals against the Devils.

Game 3

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

A lot can change in three years.

I really question how much Greene has left, his lack of mobility has been a problem going back to 2013, his extension made no sense.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Well yes and no! He gets to the point where DD needs more minutes, and so McNabb is with him. Then Greene was with Muzzin. But then it loops back around to DD and Muzz and then it seemed like occasional shifts with Greene and McNabb. I will say though that every single shift with the two paired was an adventure.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I almost hate to say it, but play McBain. Pretend he's Voynov-lite.

Doughty-Muzzin
Regehr-McBain
Martinez-Greene
McNabb.

McBain has been the PP whisperer and playing McNabb with Greene is awful.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
A lot can change in three years.

I really question how much Greene has left, his lack of mobility has been a problem going back to 2013, his extension made no sense.

He's the modern day Aaron Miller, and we're seeing his body breaking down before our eyes. Which is also what's happening to Mike Richards.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
He's the modern day Aaron Miller, and we're seeing his body breaking down before our eyes. Which is also what's happening to Mike Richards.

The style of play including recent success has really sped up the breakdown process for many of our older more physical players. Maybe on another team the breakdown is tapered but on the Kings it's really pronounced. Like off the cliff pronounced!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The style of play including recent success has really sped up the breakdown process for many of our older more physical players. Maybe on another team the breakdown is tapered but on the Kings it's really pronounced. Like off the cliff pronounced!

I worry about that with others slowly getting there as well. Brown's been better this season on the physical side of the game but he's had his lulls and his play with the puck has slowly regressed.

My main concern though is with Kopitar, who is used to battling against tough competition for a long time. He really doesn't appear to be as strong on the puck and isn't as effective at protecting the puck like we were used to seeing from him.

They're not declining in performance like a guy like Richards has, but it is a concern. And it isn't just with those guys though. Look throughout the league, you'll see a drop in how guys like Crosby and Ovechkin play now as opposed to how they played say 3-4 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad