Rumor: Los Angeles is interested in Prohorkin

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
It’s not over yet ))
Prohorkin signs contract only for one more year
https://translate.google.ru/transla...tp://rsport.ru/hockey/20140722/759761357.html

images

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks, Alessandro. A couple of questions:

- Do you really think you can get a spot in the lineup of the current Stanley Cup champions?

- And what’s the problem? When Los Angeles won the Stanley Cup in 2012, the next year they called up two guys of my same age, with whom I played myself.

- There is a certain abudance of good centers there.

I'm impressed that the Kings sent their scouts to Russia, but does he realize that the Kings expect their prospects to pay their AHL dues?

And what's this about possibly getting a mortgage? It doesn't sound like he seriously sees himself moving to the States in a year.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Thanks, Alessandro. A couple of questions:

I'm impressed that the Kings sent their scouts to Russia, but does he realize that the Kings expect their prospects to pay their AHL dues
?

And what's this about possibly getting a mortgage? It doesn't sound like he seriously sees himself moving to the States in a year.

I hope someone explained to him that LA does things totally different than say EDM. He will have to pay his dues in the AHL if he ever wants a spot on the team.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I hope someone explained to him that LA does things totally different than say EDM. He will have to pay his dues in the AHL if he ever wants a spot on the team.

I'd think he already knows that. He did come over the lockout year and try to play in the AHL and was fine there. The only reason he isn't still there is because of all the contract nonsense with the KHL and CKSA. It sounds like what he's saying is that if he's good enough to make the team the Kings will make room for him. He points to Toffoli, and Pearson as examples, who happened to be his linemates in Manchester. I read that as he understands he may spent some time in the AHL but if he proves he can play LA will make room for him. Heck Pearson only played 108 games in the AHL and that probably could have been cut by about 12-25 games and he'd still be fine, so this whole issue of "paying your dues" isn't really an issue. Guys like Voinov, Jones, King, Nolan, Pearson, Toffoli and to an extent Vey have proven that if you are good enough the Kings and DL will make a spot for you no matter how many games you play in AHL or whether you've "paid your dues" or not.

seen em all

Aug 31, 2009
Well, it's not as preferable as having him in Manchester, but at least he will be playing important minutes in a competitive league. He wouldn't have a spot in the NHL this year, maybe with all of the contracts expiring next year he will come over after perceiving he will have a better shot to stick.

I love that jersey :)

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'd think he already knows that. He did come over the lockout year and try to play in the AHL and was fine there. The only reason he isn't still there is because of all the contract nonsense with the KHL and CKSA. It sounds like what he's saying is that if he's good enough to make the team the Kings will make room for him. He points to Toffoli, and Pearson as examples, who happened to be his linemates in Manchester. I read that as he understands he may spent some time in the AHL but if he proves he can play LA will make room for him. Heck Pearson only played 108 games in the AHL and that probably could have been cut by about 12-25 games and he'd still be fine, so this whole issue of "paying your dues" isn't really an issue. Guys like Voinov, Jones, King, Nolan, Pearson, Toffoli and to an extent Vey have proven that if you are good enough the Kings and DL will make a spot for you no matter how many games you play in AHL or whether you've "paid your dues" or not.

Except all those guy's you just mentioned payed their dues. They all spent at least one full season in the AHL.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Except all those guy's you just mentioned payed their dues. They all spent at least one full season in the AHL.

Clifford, Schenn, Simmonds, Moller? Tell me again how all the Kings prospects have to pay their dues in the AHL? If a prospect is ready and can handle it the Kings have, and always have, under DL been willing to give a roster spot to a kid if they prove they are capable of it. That's ignoring Kopitar and Doughty as special cases. The only prospect the Kings have every really forced to play in the minors once he was ready was Bernier and DL admitted to wanting to bring him along slowly.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Clifford, Schenn, Simmonds, Moller? Tell me again how all the Kings prospects have to pay their dues in the AHL? If a prospect is ready and can handle it the Kings have, and always have, under DL been willing to give a roster spot to a kid if they prove they are capable of it. That's ignoring Kopitar and Doughty as special cases. The only prospect the Kings have every really forced to play in the minors once he was ready was Bernier and DL admitted to wanting to bring him along slowly.

Even then with Bernier, it was about trying to get him ice time. He'd have sat on the bench if he had been called up when he was first ready. DL and Co. wanted him playing 65 games a season even if it was against weaker opponents than have him watch 65 games from the bench.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

Clifford/Moller is not a good example to prove your point, it screwed up their development not going to the AHL(for extended time). Kings brass has even admitted too it(with those two).

Schenn was sent back to Jr's(if he was old enough he would have spent an entire season in the AHL) , Simmonds is the only guy on that list, that didn't spend a majority of his time in the AHL.

With the roster set with Vets, Prospects WILL PAY THEIR DUES. Like it should be.

Now if a prospect is Doughty/Kopitar like, then sure, that guy most likely won't spend any time (or very little in the AHL).

Hell Brown/Quick have even payed dues in the AHL, Quick spent time in the ECHL.

Brown is on record saying "A season in the AHL during the lockout, really helped my Game".

Pearson
Toffoli
Nolan
King
Jones
Slava
Muzzin
A-Mart
Vey
Lewis
McNabb

All paid dues.

Heck I can even add

Richards/Carter AHL Champs
Stoll paid his dues before making the Oilers.

Spending time in the AHL is not a bad thing. In Porky's case, I doubt he even comes over to NA. He can make more money, and receive more playing time in the KHL.

If Porky has another stellar season, his KHL team has to fork over the big bucks. The Kings can only offer the standard ELC.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
If you play in the KHL and are one of the best over there than you are not going to spend a year in the AHL. Simple as that.

Just because there are a truckload of players on the Kings roster who did, does not mean every prospect need ""to pay their dues".

Most were fragile prospects. Why would they get a rosterspot ? Not to mention, most of the time there's no room on the roster unless you are elite like Kopitar and Doughty.

Heck, I doubt the Kings thought that anyone of King, Nolan, Martinez, Muzzin would ever become a NHL regular. Lets get real serious here.

Moller, Clifford, Schenn and Simmonds all got a rosterspot. It doesnt matter that Moller and Clifford have failed, they got it.

Porky might think he should get one too.

Tigermask is right.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
You go down to the AHL to get ready for the NHL. When you are ready and there is a roster spot for which you make the team better, then you come up. Whether it be 0, 1 game, or 500 games. When you are ready and will make the team better then you will be on the roster. You may have to wait a few games for DL to make room but it will be made.

If Porky is ready and shows he makes the team better, then there is no need to send him down just to say "you got to pay your dues"!

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
If you play in the KHL and are one of the best over there than you are not going to spend a year in the AHL. Simple as that.

Just because there are a truckload of players on the Kings roster who did, does not mean every prospect need ""to pay their dues".

Most were fragile prospects. Why would they get a rosterspot ? Not to mention, most of the time there's no room on the roster unless you are elite like Kopitar and Doughty.

Heck, I doubt the Kings thought that anyone of King, Nolan, Martinez, Muzzin would ever become a NHL regular. Lets get real serious here.

Moller, Clifford, Schenn and Simmonds all got a rosterspot. It doesnt matter that Moller and Clifford have failed, they got it.

Tigermask is right.

I think the only real question is who does he replace/bump out? King? I assume he needs to be a top 2/3 line forward, so whose spot is he getting?

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

Tigermask is right.

You go down to the AHL to get ready for the NHL. When you are ready and there is a roster spot for which you make the team better, then you come up. Whether it be 0, 1 game, or 500 games. When you are ready and will make the team better then you will be on the roster. You may have to wait a few games for DL to make room but it will be made.

If Porky is ready and shows he makes the team better, then there is no need to send him down just to say "you got to pay your dues"!

Exactly. If you are a better option in the lineup and whether you've played 1 AHL game or 1000, you get a spot. A player developing in the minors isn't always "paying your dues". That's a term reserved for if a team signs an NHL ready player and sends him to the minors for X number of games just because he needs to play for the team in the minors. The Kings don't do that.

I think the only real question is who does he replace/bump out? King? I assume he needs to be a top 2/3 line forward, so whose spot is he getting?

At Wing? Lewis, Nolan, King jump to mind as guys he could replace. A replacement if Williams ends up on the FA market maybe? If he is dead set on making it at Center? I still hold out hope that Kopitar, or Richards gets good enough at draws to make Stoll expendable to open up a spot for Porkins. Another less desirable option could be he beats out Richards if MR continues to decline and can be dealt. I don't Porkins needs a top 6 role to start out. Bringing some skill to the bottom 6 with some PP time and odd shifts in the top 6 would work. Kind of the same way Williams, Brown, Gabby, and Toffoli, got shuffled around once Gabby was brought in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad