OT: Los Angeles Angels Talk

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Trade between Angels and Dodgers is dead. It's being reported that the Angels are the ones who pulled out of the deal.

Well, that sucked. Really was looking forward to both Joc and Stripling.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Trade between Angels and Dodgers is dead. It's being reported that the Angels are the ones who pulled out of the deal.

Well, that sucked. Really was looking forward to both Joc and Stripling.

Confusing as to why the Angels pulled out of the trade, as they were obviously getting the best of it. Dodgers were just dumping salary and clearing roster space.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Confusing as to why the Angels pulled out of the trade, as they were obviously getting the best of it. Dodgers were just dumping salary and clearing roster space.

Because if Rosenthal is correct--and I have no reason to believe he isn't--Arte is a dingaling who got his panties in a wad because he had to wait for the t's to be crossed and the i's to be dotted on physicals. Honestly, it's a wonder why any competent baseball people come to work for such an unbearably shitty owner who constantly seeks to undermine them.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Because if Rosenthal is correct--and I have no reason to believe he isn't--Arte is a dingaling who got his panties in a wad because he had to wait for the t's to be crossed and the i's to be dotted on physicals. Honestly, it's a wonder why any competent baseball people come to work for such an unbearably ****ty owner who constantly seeks to undermine them.

Although Arte has intervened before, I'm trying to hold back until it's confirmed that Arte threw a time tantrum. We really needed starting MLB pitching and Pages could potentially be dangled as part of a trade in the future seeing that we're probably crowded in the OF with talent. And we got Joc. All for the price of INF Renfigo and a low level prospect.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Because if Rosenthal is correct--and I have no reason to believe he isn't--Arte is a dingaling who got his panties in a wad because he had to wait for the t's to be crossed and the i's to be dotted on physicals. Honestly, it's a wonder why any competent baseball people come to work for such an unbearably ****ty owner who constantly seeks to undermine them.
Yeah, it's crazy since it wasn't Dodgers holding up the Red Sox/Twins deal. Unless Arte was mad at Dodgers for not committing to trade regardless of what happened in the other deal. The guy's track record of undermining his baseball people (Hamilton, Pujols, DiPoto) isn't exactly sterling.

Oct 18, 2011
If true this is f***ing bullshit, you were getting a middle of the order hitter for a f***ing backup infielder...

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Although Arte has intervened before, I'm trying to hold back until it's confirmed that Arte threw a time tantrum. We really needed starting MLB pitching and Pages could potentially be dangled as part of a trade in the future seeing that we're probably crowded in the OF with talent. And we got Joc. All for the price of INF Renfigo and a low level prospect.

I mean, part of me hopes this is true because my opinion of Arte is abhorrently low and for Angels fans, this is national exposure of what a meddler he is, to the point of being too hands-on in the destruction of a trade that actually helped his franchise reach potential playoff contention.

The alternative, which appears to be that Graterol's medicals leaked because Boston's ownership was facing massive backlash from fans and local media and ostensibly led to a complete overhaul of this trade whose domino effect ultimately ended with the Angels getting f***ed because the Dodgers decided that this version of the trade rendered their agreement null and void is an even greater travesty. It shows me that the leadership from Manfred down is incapable of even conducting basic business of the sport and that parties can essentially reneg on transactions that are all but completed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The only people reporting Arte is the one who pulled out of the deal are Heyman and Nightengale, who are a couple buffoons. Nightengale said a week ago that the Betts trade was going to be official that day. And Heyman is just a total clown.

I have a feeling there is a lot more at play here than Arte throwing a tantrum.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Moreno ordered the Angels to pull out of the agreement with the Dodgers, sources told The Athletic. The Dodgers could have given the Angels a chance to rethink their decision, but they viewed the previously agreed upon Angels deal as unnecessary after the trades with Boston and Minnesota changed, effectively killing the trade themselves.

From the article just put up by Ardaya.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Moreno ordered the Angels to pull out of the agreement with the Dodgers, sources told The Athletic. The Dodgers could have given the Angels a chance to rethink their decision, but they viewed the previously agreed upon Angels deal as unnecessary after the trades with Boston and Minnesota changed, effectively killing the trade themselves.

From the article just put up by Ardaya.

Welp, Arte strikes again. Hopefully, other people can now acknowledge Arte's meddling supersedes his GM's capabilities. Guess GM Dipoto quitting during the mid-season wasn't a wake-up call enough. We lose out on offense, defense, and pitching already at the MLB level.

Reactions: Deuce22
Oct 18, 2011
Arte please just sell the f***ing team, why bother hiring a GM if you're going to keep cutting their legs out from under them? I'm sure the clowns on KLAA will be trying to brainwash the fanbase though

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Who knows if the Dogs would have had to change the trade because the terms of the Betts deal changed so much, but would’ve been nice to find out. Maybe it wouldn’t have worked out, but Arte never gave them a chance. How hard is it to just sit there and do nothing? He couldn’t wait one more day? I would understand if the delay was keeping them from acting on something else they had in the fire, but that clearly wasn’t the case.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Well in 10 years from now i bet Arte has had natural causes take its course & its a new owner in charge by then, does he have sons or daughters ?
I also would hope his kids force him out if he shows signs of senility like with pulling out of the dodger trade, put him in a assisted living retirement home before his senility destroys the team.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Of course when our joke of a GM actually does something helpful, our owner screws it up. I expect nothing less from the Angels.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Day 1 of spring training started on the 12th. The website "Crashingthepearlygates" has pictures and videos of the first day with the pitchers.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Factors other than impatience? How about having an idiot, meddling owner?

That was an pisspoor attempt by Arte to justify why he killed a trade that would have net the Angels 2 starting players for the price of a reserve infielder.
I’m beyond mad about the trade falling apart, but this is just flat out incorrect. All reports are saying more prospects from the Angels were going to the Dodgers.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I know this but all reports said they were not The Angels top prospects and thus nothing of great significance. You’re still getting 2 starters for a not Much and it’s horrible Arte meddled and screwed it up.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I’m beyond mad about the trade falling apart, but this is just flat out incorrect. All reports are saying more prospects from the Angels were going to the Dodgers.
Also, Arte said that even though reports said a deal was done, it actually wasn’t. That lends itself to the theory that the reported trade was contingent on the initial Betts deal. Once that deal changed, guessing the Angels trade would have changed as well. And while Arte rightfully deserves criticism for the way it was handled, I think there was less than zero chance it was going through the way it was initially reported.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
What is up with all this Arte defense mechanism? LoL

Arte admitted he nixed the deal. Full stop. It wasn't his GM who nixed the deal, it was Arte. Full stop. And the fact his impatience did help nix the trade is admitting a factor that shouldn't be involved in trade talks. Did the Dodgers nix the deal with the Red Sox when they didn't want Graterol (sp?)? Nope. The Dodgers and Twins had the patience to complete a trade with the Red Sox.

Here's the kicker, we already knew there was going to be a prospect with Rengifo going to the Dodgers before the Red Sox initially stalled the three team trade. The Angels already stated that none of their top prospects were involved. The Dodgers already told Joc he was being traded to the Angels. The Angels simply needed to wait out the Dodgers-Twins-Red Sox trade, but Arte doesn't think like a GM. Arte thinks like an entitled owner and inserted his prestige by being impatient and nixing the deal. Again, it was the owner who nixed the deal and not the GM!

We were getting two starters, with one of them a starting pitcher BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS!

What is this business about "getting a top notch pitcher during the season"?! Doesn't Arte know that we need all the wins we can get at the start of the season to get to the playoffs? Why can't we trade for a top notch pitcher before the season starts?! I don't believe Arte b/c he also said we'd be getting a pitcher in the off-season, but we missed out on all the top pitchers. Anyhow, we could have dangled Joc for a pitcher during the season if Jo Adell was tearing up the AAA.

There's just so much wrong with nixing the trade where the Angels are benefiting so much!

Arte going over his GM's head isn't anything new... well, at least to me. On this thread, people didn't believe me about Arte's intervention. Arte wanted OF Hamilton and losing a 1st round pick over retaining P Greinke. That's not a very good GM move to trade several assets for P Greinke during the season only to lose him and a first round pick for an outfielder. That's because it wasn't a GM move, but an Arte move. Which is consistent with Arte nixing this recent trade, not the GM.

Reactions: Deuce22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad