OT: Los Angeles Angels Talk

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
What is up with all this Arte defense mechanism? LoL

Arte admitted he nixed the deal. Full stop. It wasn't his GM who nixed the deal, it was Arte. Full stop. And the fact his impatience did help nix the trade is admitting a factor that shouldn't be involved in trade talks. Did the Dodgers nix the deal with the Red Sox when they didn't want Graterol (sp?)? Nope. The Dodgers and Twins had the patience to complete a trade with the Red Sox.

Here's the kicker, we already knew there was going to be a prospect with Rengifo going to the Dodgers before the Red Sox initially stalled the three team trade. The Angels already stated that none of their top prospects were involved. The Dodgers already told Joc he was being traded to the Angels. The Angels simply needed to wait out the Dodgers-Twins-Red Sox trade, but Arte doesn't think like a GM. Arte thinks like an entitled owner and inserted his prestige by being impatient and nixing the deal. Again, it was the owner who nixed the deal and not the GM!

We were getting two starters, with one of them a starting pitcher BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS!

What is this business about "getting a top notch pitcher during the season"?! Doesn't Arte know that we need all the wins we can get at the start of the season to get to the playoffs? Why can't we trade for a top notch pitcher before the season starts?! I don't believe Arte b/c he also said we'd be getting a pitcher in the off-season, but we missed out on all the top pitchers. Anyhow, we could have dangled Joc for a pitcher during the season if Jo Adell was tearing up the AAA.

There's just so much wrong with nixing the trade where the Angels are benefiting so much!

Arte going over his GM's head isn't anything new... well, at least to me. On this thread, people didn't believe me about Arte's intervention. Arte wanted OF Hamilton and losing a 1st round pick over retaining P Greinke. That's not a very good GM move to trade several assets for P Greinke during the season only to lose him and a first round pick for an outfielder. That's because it wasn't a GM move, but an Arte move. Which is consistent with Arte nixing this recent trade, not the GM.
Never good leadership when you hire someone to do a job, then take away his ability to do it properly.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I loved his ST interview saying he'd defend himself against people calling him cheap or whatever was, he did a great job at completely missing the point at the criticism levelled towards him.

Oct 18, 2011
I loved his ST interview saying he'd defend himself against people calling him cheap or whatever was, he did a great job at completely missing the point at the criticism levelled towards him.
Arte is like a guy who decides he wants to open a restaurant, hires people who understand the business, but then constantly overrules them and does what he wants to do, a year later the business is bleeding money and the owner doesn't understand why, gets mad and fires the people whom he wouldn't allow to do their jobs to begin with.

That's who he is

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Arte is like a guy who decides he wants to open a restaurant, hires people who understand the business, but then constantly overrules them and does what he wants to do, a year later the business is bleeding money and the owner doesn't understand why, gets mad and fires the people whom he wouldn't allow to do their jobs to begin with.

That's who he is

Actually funnily enough this doesn't quite work because Arte doesn't fire anyone. I think Ausmus is the only main guy the entire time he's owned the team. Doesn't really retract from the spirit of the analogy but I've always found that to be wild.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

That's who he is

Arte is far more devious than that. Arte struck gold by parlaying the signing of Pujols' albatross contract in MLB standards for $3 billion from FSW for 20 years. $24o mil for 10 years to swindle $3 billion for 20 years. Putting this into a per year comparison, it's $24 mil per year to $150 mil per year. That's $126 mil extra for 10 years and $150 for the rest of the 10 years.

That TV contract is profit as long as the Angels organization breaks even at ticket sales, merchandise sales, and MLB profit sharing revenue.

The Angels aren't losing Arte money. In fact, as long as he doesn't go over the tax salary cap threshold that could cut into his profits, then Arte is profiting. Remember, he also does have radio contracts that even we don't know about with the international market (Latin America) by changing the prefix location name from Anaheim to Los Angeles.

What makes the Angels self-sustaining is because the Angels drafted Mike Trout. And Trout will retire an Angel.

Because of all that, Arte doesn't care about winning with the Angels, but rather be it's puppet master. That's the reason why former GM Tony Reagins was promoted and Stoneman was kicked to the curb. Eventually, Arte used Reagins as a scapegoat for losing and took a gamble on young Dipoto. Dipoto was able to get the Angels to have three winning seasons out of four years as well as win the AL West, all that with Arte's meddling. But Dipoto grew weary of the lack of control that his job description requires from the organization. Dipoto is the only person to not take Arte's manipulation. New GM Eppler is a yes man. Under Eppler, the Angels have had four consecutive losing seasons. Long time manager Sosh was not brought back under Eppler. Last year's manager Ausmus implemented everything Eppler wanted implemented and Ausmus was made the scapegoat. Eppler will eventually be used as a scapegoat like Reagins before him because if yes men can't win, then Arte will go looking for another because he owns a job opportunity that only 29 other businesses like it exists in America.

Arte if far more devious than a guy not knowing the business. He is a Disney movie character step-mother who knows how to achieve power and power is more important than prestige. Unlike a Disney movie, though, is that there will be no happy ending in reality. As long as the Angels aren't losing him profit, which he can control by having a budget, then he really doesn't care how he runs the Angels b/c there's only 30 businesses like it in America. Moreno wants the feeling of a Steinbrenner, but not willing to overspend like a Steinbrenner.

All the profits that Moreno is and will be collecting from Fox Sports West will be utilized in other ventures to create Arte even more profit. Trout being an Angel for life and the MLB profit sharing revenue are other factors that will ensure the Angels won't be bleeding money. Remember, he just purchased the land all around Angels stadium. Arte will be building apartments and businesses that surround the Angels' home. I doubt the Angels will ever leave the Moreno family if they follow Arte's script of using the Angels to nab more profit. With Arte, power carries far more value than prestige. If Dipoto quitting mid-season was not a wake-up call for Moreno, then nothing will give him a wake-up call.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Actually funnily enough this doesn't quite work because Arte doesn't fire anyone. I think Ausmus is the only main guy the entire time he's owned the team. Doesn't really retract from the spirit of the analogy but I've always found that to be wild.

Moreno did "pushed out" GM Tony Reagins, like he "pushed out" the GM before Reagins in Bill Stoneman. It's odd to see Stoneman step in as interim GM after Dipoto quit mid-season b/c the reason in the media cited Stoneman stepped down from being GM b/c he was worn down. ha ha ha

Arte does fire people, but he's conniving in how he does it.

The scouting director, Eddie Bane, who drafted Trout, Garrett Richards, Chatwood, etc... was fired by Reagins because Reagins didn't like how the past few draft years were conducted. As a baseball person, Reagins should know prospects take time to develop, especially when drafted right out of high school such as Trout. (article link: here)

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think arte really cares about winning, and I think competitive billionaires are control freaks who don't understand that they arent always the smartest people in the room.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Moreno did "pushed out" GM Tony Reagins, like he "pushed out" the GM before Reagins in Bill Stoneman. It's odd to see Stoneman step in as interim GM after Dipoto quit mid-season b/c the reason in the media cited Stoneman stepped down from being GM b/c he was worn down. ha ha ha

Arte does fire people, but he's conniving in how he does it.

The scouting director, Eddie Bane, who drafted Trout, Garrett Richards, Chatwood, etc... was fired by Reagins because Reagins didn't like how the past few draft years were conducted. As a baseball person, Reagins should know prospects take time to develop, especially when drafted right out of high school such as Trout. (article link: here)

Reagins is maybe the only one, Stoneman was old and stayed with the organization. That's why it wasn't that odd he stepped in after DiPoto lol. Bane, as you clearly pointed out, was fired by Reagins.

Again it's not a defense, just kind of funny. The Ducks similarly have fired like one GM ever, kind of neat.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
upload_2020-4-20_2-18-5.jpeg

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think the July start is good for the Angels, Ohtani will be ready to pitch on opening night.
He should be the opening night starter since he will need 6 days rest between starts and with Richards gone he's the lone guy in the rotation who can hit 100mph.

Reactions: McDonald19

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
MLB draft is tonight and since there is no baseball being played now, I’m finally excited about a MLB draft. In no particular order, I would want either of these guys with their 10th pick.
P. Emerson Hancock
P. Max Meyer
P. Reid Detmers
C. Patrick Bailey
CF. Robert Hassell
Would love to get a pitcher since our pitching depth stinks. If we don’t draft a pitcher, I’d opt for Patrick Bailey since he’s the best available catcher.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
MLB draft is tonight and since there is no baseball being played now, I’m finally excited about a MLB draft. In no particular order, I would want either of these guys with their 10th pick.
P. Emerson Hancock
P. Max Meyer
P. Reid Detmers
C. Patrick Bailey
CF. Robert Hassell
Would love to get a pitcher since our pitching depth stinks. If we don’t draft a pitcher, I’d opt for Patrick Bailey since he’s the best available catcher.
Moreno gutted our scouting staff because he is a cheap POS so I am quite worried we will pass on the best available players in order to sign guys cheaply.

Also an FYI: Since the draft will only be five rounds that means the rest of the class will be available to sign at a flat 20K rate. But, since Arte has treated this franchise like garbage since the pandemic started, there are already rumblings that both front office and player talent will be reluctant to come here and work/play for him. Awesome!

Last edited:

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Moreno gutted our scouting staff because he is a cheap POS so I am quite worried we will pass on the best available players in order to sign guys cheaply.

Also an FYI: Since the draft will only be five rounds that means the rest of the class will be available to sign at a flat 20K rate. But, since Arte has treated this franchise like garbage since the pandemic started there are already rumblings that both front office and player talent will be reluctant to come here and work/play for him. Awesome!
The guy does not know how to run a franchise. He’s not losing a ton of money keeping his staff in tact. Look at all the boneheaded deals he’s dished out during his tenure. I hope and pray we make the right picks from whatever scouts we have left currently.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Angels select 20 year old LHP Reid Detmers out of Louisville. Analysts are saying he is very advanced for his age and will move quickly through the system, which is probably not a coincidence for this team. They even said there is a possibility he could pitch in this year's playoffs for us if he progresses well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Finally, a pitcher drafted in the first round and a LHP to boot! I was afraid we'd draft yet another SS prospect in the first round.

We don't have a lot of pitchers to begin with. I'm still pissed that Arte blew the deal to land RHP Stripling and OF Joc Pederson from the Dodgers for basically nothing. We have no real depth at the MLB level and even less at the system!

I actually thought that the Mariners would have taken the lefty at 6th overall because DiPoto is in love with lefties. But they went with higher potential. I'm good with that as we get a high ceiling guy. We don't have enough #2-4 guys and this is great for us!

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
Angels select 20 year old LHP Reid Detmers out of Louisville. Analysts are saying he is very advanced for his age and will move quickly through the system, which is probably not a coincidence for this team. They even said there is a possibility he could pitch in this year's playoffs for us if we make the playoffs

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So... The Angels gave up a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the 10th. ::: sighs ::: Might have been a different outcome if we had Rendon healthy. Instead, we run back the same team from last year. "Why do you build me up, buttercup, only just to let me down."

The players we would have gotten from the Dodgers were P Stripling and OF Pedersen. Stripling went 7 innings, 1 ER, 7 Ks, and 0 BBs. Pedersen, today, went 1 for 3, 1 BB, and 2 runs.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Robles has been a complete shit show as the closer this year, an ERA over 20.00 . Worse than Brian Fuentes and Fernando Rodney combined.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Robles has been a complete shit show as the closer this year, an ERA over 20.00 . Worse than Brian Fuentes and Fernando Rodney combined.
Given the short length of the season this year I think that Robles ought to be pulled as the closer now. In a 60 game season a bad start dooms the entire season, and the Angels are certainly trending that way. They can't afford to fall into a deeper hole while Robles gets his mojo back.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Given the short length of the season this year I think that Robles ought to be pulled as the closer now. In a 60 game season a bad start dooms the entire season, and the Angels are certainly trending that way. They can't afford to fall into a deeper hole while Robles gets his mojo back.
Hopefully they try Pena next, he's been lights out. The MVP award this season seems funny, the guys who always start out hot each year but cool off in 2nd half are gonna be the ones in line to win the MVP/Cy Youngs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->