OT: Los Angeles Angels Talk

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I don't know who Darron Sutton pissed off in management to get canned half way through the season, but he always reminded me of Pierre McGuirre. He was so eager for approval that it bordered on annoying/creepy. Like dude, i don't care where someone played junior mite little league at El Dorado middle school 20 yrs ago. Just call the damn play by play you creepy dude.

Angels are pretty much the Sens of MLB.
0 days since last incident.

If you guess John Carpino, I'd put your odds at better than 50/50.

Member 308457

I don't know who Darron Sutton pissed off in management to get canned half way through the season, but he always reminded me of Pierre McGuirre. He was so eager for approval that it bordered on annoying/creepy. Like dude, i don't care where someone played junior mite little league at El Dorado middle school 20 yrs ago. Just call the damn play by play you creepy dude.

Angels are pretty much the Sens of MLB.
0 days since last incident.

Interesting. Anybody know the backstory behind Sutton? Was he the guy who kind of laughs while he calls the shot when Ohtani hits a homer?

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Interesting. Anybody know the backstory behind Sutton? Was he the guy who kind of laughs while he calls the shot when Ohtani hits a homer?

Yeah, he's the guy who got giddy during homers. Apparently he pissed off someone in management, probably Arte. Probably didn't like his voice or something as he never did anything egregious

Reactions: Smile Ivan

Member 308457

Yeah, he's the guy who got giddy during homers. Apparently he pissed off someone in management, probably Arte. Probably didn't like his voice or something as he never did anything egregious

I liked his Ohtani HR calls. Sutton could tell when the ball was hit that it was going to leave the stadium, unlike Mota, who always had to wait until the home run was long over the wall. Looked to me there was something wrong with Mota's eyes...but he lasted for years. I didn't like his HR calls. I liked Sutton's excitement too. Oh well. I guess Sutton got dismissed from the Backs for "insubordination" because reportedly on air he wanted to wear a suit instead of a polo shirt with the team's logo.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I’m watching the Angels game right now, on ESPN+, in the Bally’s market, and it’s not blocked out. Is that normal? Wonder if I’ll be able to watch the Ducks games on ESPN+ without having to upgrade my tv package to include Bally’s.

TheGoodShepard1

Nov 26, 2017
As frustrated as I may be with Bob and the Samuelis at times, they will never match this franchise's ability to drive me nuts and piss me off.

Sell the f***ing team, Arte.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
As frustrated as I may be with Bob and the Samuelis at times, they will never match this franchise's ability to drive me nuts and piss me off.

Sell the f***ing team, Arte.

I think Arte's new GM Minasian had shots fired across Arte's bow when Minasian drafted 20 pitchers with his first 20 draft picks at the MLB draft a week or two ago.

Arte will never sell the team because it makes him a lot of profit via tangential means. I dunno if any GM can contain Arte, though. I thought Dipoto resigning in-season would have woken Arte up, but nope. He wants the power of a Steinbrenner, but doesn't want to throw money around like a Steinbrenner (meaning going over the cap). He just can't let baseball people make baseball decisions.

Member 308457

DiPoto traded Kendall Graveman and Rafael Montero to the Astros for Joe Smith and Abraham Toro. That's a real head-scratcher. Seattle's only 7.5 back of Houston and Graverman was their most reliable closer with a .82 ERA. The Mariners were in open rebellion about this trade. Then again, Graverman's contract expires this summer...

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
DiPoto traded Kendall Graveman and Rafael Montero to the Astros for Joe Smith and Abraham Toro. That's a real head-scratcher. Seattle's only 7.5 back of Houston and Graverman was their most reliable closer with a .82 ERA. The Mariners were in open rebellion about this trade. Then again, Graverman's contract expires this summer...

Mariners acquired
  • INF Toro and relief RHP Joe Smith for Graveman (will be a FA after this year) and DFA'd RHP Montero.
  • LH starting 4/5 pitcher Tyler Anderson from Pittsburgh for two prospects, C Bins and RHP Tejeda
  • Closer Diego Castillo from Tampa for bullpen arm JT Chargois and 3B prospect Shenton. Castillo is controlled through the 2024 season.
The Mariners replaced Graveman with Castillo. While Graveman is better, Castillo will still be around for the next three seasons. 24-year old Toro was who Dipoto wanted, but there was a time constraint that forced bad timing on the trade while playing the Astros with Graveman. In four games with the Mariners, Toro is hitting .429 with 6 hits, 6 runs, 4 RBI's, 2 HRs, and 1 walk (base on balls, BB).

You can't look at that trade in a vacuum, is what Dipoto said when it was made. We just didn't know he already had Castillo lined up. Dipoto is making moves for today and tomorrow, which is kinda like our GM Bob does, as he too doesn't like rentals on a trade. As for Joe Smith, IIRC, Dipoto got him for the Angels to set up Huston Street. Smith has struggled recently. I dunno if Smith can recover enough to close the season.

Reactions: Blofeld

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Sandoval, Rodriquez and Barria have been surprisingly good this year to go along with Ohtani being the ace.
Next years rotation looks like Ohtani/Sandoval/Rodriques/Barria + 2 others. Hopefully they sign a big UFA arm to upgrade.
Heaney just sucked and had to go. He has one decent game and then has a game where he massively implodes on the mound.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We need two starting pitchers and we need bullpen upgrades too. In 106 games, we've given up 537 runs allowed. There are only four other teams that have given up more runs allowed than the Angels so far this season. The current 162-game projection is 820.7 runs allowed.

I am not happy with our current group. How do we shave off over 120 runs allowed would be my logic for this off-season. I say over 120 runs allowed because I want the team to allow less than 700 runs allowed.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
We need two starting pitchers and we need bullpen upgrades too. In 106 games, we've given up 537 runs allowed. There are only four other teams that have given up more runs allowed than the Angels so far this season. The current 162-game projection is 820.7 runs allowed.

I am not happy with our current group. How do we shave off over 120 runs allowed would be my logic for this off-season. I say over 120 runs allowed because I want the team to allow less than 700 runs allowed.
I think it has to do with who started the season as starters on the rotation(Quintana, Bundy and Heaney) vs the much better Sandoval/Rodriques/Barria.
I think Sandoval and Rodriques were in the bullpen before? If those 3 guys continue success as starters into next season then that should shave off 120 runs easily.

Member 308457

Being a fan since 1970 I'm so frustrated with the Angels. They have a way of bringing in or developing superstars but then they ignore the rest of the team. I see in the countless times that Ohtani has crossed home plate and headed to the bench that he is greeted by a group of SLACKERS who DON'T CARRY THEIR WEIGHT. The mediocrity is so shameful as is the over-reliance on a few individual players like Ohtani, Trout and Rendon.

Without pitching the team is going nowhere. It's been this way for years and it's all Arte the Meddler's fault. The ownership situation is so similar to what Buffalo Sabres fans are suffering with the Pegulas...only the small-market Sabres can't get out of the basement. At least the Angels haven't tanked...they're just mired in mediocrity. But it's just as frustrating. The Angels are supposed to be a big market team...they're not run that way.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think it has to do with who started the season as starters on the rotation(Quintana, Bundy and Heaney) vs the much better Sandoval/Rodriques/Barria.
I think Sandoval and Rodriques were in the bullpen before? If those 3 guys continue success as starters into next season then that should shave off 120 runs easily.

That's a lot of "if's". We had this similar sentiment going into this season with Bundy, Heaney, and Canning. We do need a #1 and #2 to put our other pitchers in a better situation as well as gives us more depth. meh

Reactions: Deuce22

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
Arte is a businessman, you would think he would be smart enough to know that a winning team = profit. We have a franchise player and now Ohtani. If they just get the pitching the possibilities of winning several championship would be possible.

Arte wants the Angel's logo to be internationally known. What can be better on doing this but by winning championships?

Its mind boggling.

TheGoodShepard1

Nov 26, 2017

DiPoto also followed it up with a trade for four years of control of Diego Castillo from Tampa, and Abraham Toro is starting to hit. Say what you will about Jerry--and I've said a lot--but there may be no general manager better at exploiting yearly bullpen volatility than he is.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Arte is a businessman, you would think he would be smart enough to know that a winning team = profit. We have a franchise player and now Ohtani. If they just get the pitching the possibilities of winning several championship would be possible.

Arte wants the Angel's logo to be internationally known. What can be better on doing this but by winning championships?

Its mind boggling.

He is a businessman to where profit rules best. He made $2 billion off of $230 mil by signing Pujols and using him to up the ante from Fox Sports West network TV. Also, it includes broadcasting it via radio to latin American stations. It's the best billboard sale he's every fallen into. If Arte wants to compete for the playoffs with the current setup of his design, then he needs to go over the luxury tax to get pitchers. But that would be losing profit, which is why he doesn't and why the Angels have no prominent pitchers.

The other aspect to Arte is that he wants his finger all over the baseball team. This goes away from efficient baseball construction, but not necessarily profit margin. Arte prefers long ball hitters to draw in fans. Arte already had Trout when he bought the team. Then he added several sluggers such as Pujols, Hamilton, Upton, Ohtani, and Rendon. The org lost two consecutive first round picks by signing FA's Pujols and Hamiltion when the rules were different back then. We didn't lose a first round pick for Rendon. Arte won't relinquish baseball operations to the baseball people, which is why Dipoto quit and why newest GM Minasian drafted 20 pitchers with the first 20 draft picks in this last draft.

Getting Arte to step away from baseball operations will the hardest thing for him to do and what's been holding the Angels back. Arte is raking in billions by owning the Angels and doesn't care how they perform because he's breaking even or making a profit still. When the team doesn't perform, then it's never his meddlesome efforts, which is why we are cycling through GM's.

Reactions: QuackinQuaker

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
He is a businessman to where profit rules best. He made $2 billion off of $230 mil by signing Pujols and using him to up the ante from Fox Sports West network TV. Also, it includes broadcasting it via radio to latin American stations. It's the best billboard sale he's every fallen into. If Arte wants to compete for the playoffs with the current setup of his design, then he needs to go over the luxury tax to get pitchers. But that would be losing profit, which is why he doesn't and why the Angels have no prominent pitchers.

The other aspect to Arte is that he wants his finger all over the baseball team. This goes away from efficient baseball construction, but not necessarily profit margin. Arte prefers long ball hitters to draw in fans. Arte already had Trout when he bought the team. Then he added several sluggers such as Pujols, Hamilton, Upton, Ohtani, and Rendon. The org lost two consecutive first round picks by signing FA's Pujols and Hamiltion when the rules were different back then. We didn't lose a first round pick for Rendon. Arte won't relinquish baseball operations to the baseball people, which is why Dipoto quit and why newest GM Minasian drafted 20 pitchers with the first 20 draft picks in this last draft.

Getting Arte to step away from baseball operations will the hardest thing for him to do and what's been holding the Angels back. Arte is raking in billions by owning the Angels and doesn't care how they perform because he's breaking even or making a profit still. When the team doesn't perform, then it's never his meddlesome efforts, which is why we are cycling through GM's.
The word is probably out. No GM with a proven track record is going to take the Angel job. It's going to be guys like Eppler and Minasian who want to get their careers off the ground. Once DiPoto saw that he was lower in the pecking order than the manager, he was gone. The org has skimped on drafting and development at the expense of Arte's "make a splash" free agent signings. It seems like Minasian is trying to turn the ship around, I just question whether he will be allowed to do it.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The word is probably out. No GM with a proven track record is going to take the Angel job. It's going to be guys like Eppler and Minasian who want to get their careers off the ground. Once DiPoto saw that he was lower in the pecking order than the manager, he was gone. The org has skimped on drafting and development at the expense of Arte's "make a splash" free agent signings. It seems like Minasian is trying to turn the ship around, I just question whether he will be allowed to do it.

Minasian reminds a bit of Dipoto. When Dipoto discovered that he had no real power in FA when he did all he could to avoid losing a first round pick by trading for an ace in Greinke, but Arte superseded him by flying out to slugger Hamilton to "put a ring on it" is when Dipoto started trading away positional players to get young pitchers at AA, AAA or AAAA levels. Minasian is going the draft route of drafting 20 pitchers with his first 20 rounds as GM. That's ballsy there!

But come this winter, with Pujols' money off the books, Minasian better come out with at least a starting #2 and a couple of bullpen upgrades. I want more than that. We have a lot of hitters that we should trade for pitchers too, but I dunno. Grabbing closer Iglesias and Cobb is a step in the right direction, but overall it doesn't seem much, sadly. I gave Eppler about 2 1/2 seasons. I'll give Minasian that long too. LoL

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Minasian reminds a bit of Dipoto. When Dipoto discovered that he had no real power in FA when he did all he could to avoid losing a first round pick by trading for an ace in Greinke, but Arte superseded him by flying out to slugger Hamilton to "put a ring on it" is when Dipoto started trading away positional players to get young pitchers at AA, AAA or AAAA levels. Minasian is going the draft route of drafting 20 pitchers with his first 20 rounds as GM. That's ballsy there!

But come this winter, with Pujols' money off the books, Minasian better come out with at least a starting #2 and a couple of bullpen upgrades. I want more than that. We have a lot of hitters that we should trade for pitchers too, but I dunno. Grabbing closer Iglesias and Cobb is a step in the right direction, but overall it doesn't seem much, sadly. I gave Eppler about 2 1/2 seasons. I'll give Minasian that long too. LoL
When you spend all your money on position players, it's going to be difficult to sign upper tier free agent pitching. You need to develop young, inexpensive arms. I think that why Minasian drafted a bunch of college pitchers. When Ohtani is able to go FA, it's going to be interesting. I see him commanding $50M per easily. How are you going to sign pitching with him and Trout on the books?

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I think the only way the Angels turn it around quickly is by trading Adell for a #1 pitcher, who is signed for 2-3 years already. It would have to be with a rebuilding team obviously, who does not see themselves competing for 3-4 years. This will allow the Angels to sign a potential 1A pitcher in FA and not lose any current hitters.

Allows Detmers to progress into a top pitcher in a year or two and then we are ready to compete with 3 top end starters.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
When you spend all your money on position players, it's going to be difficult to sign upper tier free agent pitching. You need to develop young, inexpensive arms. I think that why Minasian drafted a bunch of college pitchers. When Ohtani is able to go FA, it's going to be interesting. I see him commanding $50M per easily. How are you going to sign pitching with him and Trout on the books?

Like I said, Dipoto traded off positional players to get young, inexpensive pitching and Minasian is drafting them. Minasian's way does take a bit longer than Dipoto's way if it's only drafting. But Minasian did make two trades.

• Traded away bullpen Watson for AAA 30-year old LHP Selmon, AA 25-year old RHP Marte, and low-A 21-year old RHP Armstrong
  • Traded away SP Heaney for AA 25-year old RHP Junk and AA 24-year old RHP Peguero
Watson was a 1-year rental and Heaney's becomes an UFA at the end of the season. This is an upgrade shot as we have four players who could be vying for MLB spots in a year or two. Minasian's big shot has to be landing a top end starting pitcher with the $30 mil let up by Pujols' contract ending.

On the plus side, we're hovering about .500 still under Minasian. If we finish above .500 this year, then he'd done what Eppler couldn't do in five seasons with the Angels!

Speaking of whom, Eppler lived off of Dipoto's young, inexpensive arms as well as traded some for positional players such as Simba and Upton. In 2019, when it was painfully obvious we needing pitching talent, Eppler chose SS Will Wilson over four pitchers available to him. smh. We would have drafted two pitchers consecutively in the first round, Detmers for 202 and Rutledge/Priester/Thompson/Kirby!

Reactions: Blofeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad